The Student Room Group

Switching courses

Hi guys,
If I were to start a software engineering or comp sci course with a foundation year and then not like the foundation year and transfer to another course like business, would I be able to receive the same maintenance loan for the rest of my 3 years in the business degree?
Original post by Clivierx
Hi guys,
If I were to start a software engineering or comp sci course with a foundation year and then not like the foundation year and transfer to another course like business, would I be able to receive the same maintenance loan for the rest of my 3 years in the business degree?

Hi there,

Every student is entitled to funding for the length of their course plus one additional year, minus any previous study. This means if you have no other previous study, then you would be using your additional year for the foundation year, and should be eligible for finance for your new course. The amount of loan depends on your your course, circumstances and where you will be living during term time.

Thanks,
Claire
Reply 2
Original post by Claire SFE
Hi there,

Every student is entitled to funding for the length of their course plus one additional year, minus any previous study. This means if you have no other previous study, then you would be using your additional year for the foundation year, and should be eligible for finance for your new course. The amount of loan depends on your your course, circumstances and where you will be living during term time.

Thanks,
Claire

Thank you for this response, never knew TSR had SFE officials which is awesome! Could you please elaborate on how your course affects the amount of loan you get, if so, is it by a lot? Thanks!!
Thank you for this response, never knew TSR had SFE officials which is awesome! Could you please elaborate on how your course affects the amount of loan you get, if so, is it by a lot? Thanks!!

Hi there, what do you mean regarding the course affecting the loan? Your loan is not assessed based on the course. It's based on your household income (if under 25) and where you would be living during the academic year. Thanks, Jason
Reply 4
Original post by SFE Jason
Hi there, what do you mean regarding the course affecting the loan? Your loan is not assessed based on the course. It's based on your household income (if under 25) and where you would be living during the academic year. Thanks, Jason

You said "The amount of loan depends on your your course".
You said "The amount of loan depends on your your course".

Hi there,

I am sorry for the misunderstanding, your eligibility is not based on the course however, the actual amount may differ if the term dates are shorter or longer than the previous course as some courses are considered a long course which qualifies for the 'long course loan' however, you will be notified of the entitlement once the assessors have calculated this.

Thanks, Clare

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending