The Student Room Group

Am i a bad sibling/daughter?

Today I’ve been constantly told to ‘think before I speak’.
I haven’t been out to see my friends at all during the summer holidays because I knew my parents would say no. I asked if i could see my friends next Friday and my mom said ‘but won’t you see them at Halloween’ to which I responded that I am allowed to see people multiple times. And then she started shouting at me and I brought up the fact that just because she hasn’t gone to see any of her friends for a whole year DOESNT mean she has to bring that up on me. My mom honestly goes nowhere and she’s going, and she’s told me before that she wishes that she could go out and about but she can’t. (She’s 43 for reference).

Than my sister today. We were cleaning up from dinner and I came back from a hard day at school and she came back from work.
My mom asked my sister to cry the dishes and she starts wingding.
So I said ‘when you have kids, you’re going to have to manage how to do this’ and she told me that I should think before I speak and my mom agreed. She told me ‘don’t you have any shame’.
Even when I bring the fact that I want to get married, she says ‘don’t you have any shame’

Honestly I just don’t know who’s right or wrong.
Original post by Anonymous
I haven’t been out to see my friends at all during the summer holidays because I knew my parents would say no. I asked if i could see my friends next Friday and my mom said ‘but won’t you see them at Halloween’ to which I responded that I am allowed to see people multiple times. And then she started shouting at me and I brought up the fact that just because she hasn’t gone to see any of her friends for a whole year DOESNT mean she has to bring that up on me. My mom honestly goes nowhere and she’s going, and she’s told me before that she wishes that she could go out and about but she can’t. (She’s 43 for reference).

Than my sister today. We were cleaning up from dinner and I came back from a hard day at school and she came back from work.
So I said ‘when you have kids, you’re going to have to manage how to do this’ and she told me that I should think before I speak and my mom agreed. She told me ‘don’t you have any shame’.
Even when I bring the fact that I want to get married, she says ‘don’t you have any shame’

I can relate to this a lot. You’re not in the wrong, you gave your sister some advice I guess, whether she’s willing to accept it or not is her problem. As long as you didn’t say it in a condescending way, I don’t see the issue. Maybe she replied that way because other reason, if not, there’s only so much you can do. As for your mum, ehh… idk why mums do that, maybe there’s another reason why doesn’t want you going out with your friends other than because she doesn’t? If that solely the reason it’s pretty petty but again, there’s only so much you can do cos she’s your mum. You’re not a bad daughter or sibling, don’t worry:smile:.
Original post by Anonymous

You were in the right in both situations. I think they are trying to play you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending