The Student Room Group

Student finance for a second course

Hi, I previous got a foundation degree in sports development and Physical education and am now looking at getting a bsc in Sports Therapy, would I be eligible to get student finance for this? I’ve seen about certain degrees being eligible for a second loan, or is this just for specifically Physiotherapy degrees? Thanks
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Nikitaj90
Hi, I previous got a foundation degree in sports development and Physical education and am now looking at getting a bsc in Sports Therapy, would I be eligible to get student finance for this? I’ve seen about certain degrees being eligible for a second loan, or is this just for specifically Physiotherapy degrees? Thanks

Hi there,

Can you please confirm how long your foundation course was?

Thanks, Graeme
Reply 2
Original post by Graeme SFE
Hi there,

Can you please confirm how long your foundation course was?

Thanks, Graeme

Hi,

It was a 2 year course.

thanks
Hi,

It was a 2 year course.

thanks

Thanks, will your new course be a 3 year one, and are you planning to start from Year 1?

Thanks, Graeme
Reply 4
Thanks, will your new course be a 3 year one, and are you planning to start from Year 1?

Thanks, Graeme

It would be a 3 year course, starting from year 1

Thanks
It would be a 3 year course, starting from year 1

Thanks

Okay, based on what you've said you'll be entitled to funding for this new course except in Year 1. Due to your previous study you won't be entitled to the Tuition Fee Loan in Year 1 though you'll still get the Maintenance Loan.

In this case we'd recommend making an application online as soon as you're able: that way the assessors can tell you for sure what you're entitled to. We can then discuss other options.

Thanks, Graeme

https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-register-login
Reply 6
Thank you for your help :smile:
Reply 7
Okay, based on what you've said you'll be entitled to funding for this new course except in Year 1. Due to your previous study you won't be entitled to the Tuition Fee Loan in Year 1 though you'll still get the Maintenance Loan.

In this case we'd recommend making an application online as soon as you're able: that way the assessors can tell you for sure what you're entitled to. We can then discuss other options.

Thanks, Graeme

https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-register-login

Sorry, I also forgot to ask.

I’d originally started a different foundation degree that would have been 2 years but changed courses after year 1, would this affect this also?

thanks
Thank you for your help :smile:

You're welcome - if you have any further questions feel free to ask.

Thanks, Graeme
Reply 9

I’d originally started a different foundation degree that would have been 2 years but changed courses after year 1, would this affect this also?

thanks

thanks

So long as your total previous study is two years then this won't affect what we discussed. If your previous study was more than 2 years, however, let us know.

Thanks, Graeme
Reply 11
So long as your total previous study is two years then this won't affect what we discussed. If your previous study was more than 2 years, however, let us know.

Thanks, Graeme

Thank you for confirming.

I’m not sure if that year counted as I didn’t complete that year and failed and switched courses
Thank you for confirming.

I’m not sure if that year counted as I didn’t complete that year and failed and switched courses

In that case you may be able to use that year to apply for Compelling Personal Reasons (CPR). If accepted you'll be awarded an additional year of funding, that means you'll be entitled to the Tuition Fee Loan in Year 1 of the new course.

For more on this please see here: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/going-back-to-uni-or-repeating-a-year

Feel free to upload any evidence to us digitally on your account and this will be reviewed by the assessors.

Thanks, Graeme
Original post by Yh true
Hy question , Im planning to do a one year course of hnc applied science then applying to medicine would i still be eligible for loan after the hnc ?
Thanks

HI there,

Would this be undergraduate medicine course?

Thanks,
Claire

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending