The Student Room Group

How to revise for French GCSE?

I need a lot of help because my teacher has thought it would be a brilliant idea to have tests every monday. And every friday he gives the class a long list of things to learn and they are LONG lists. If aNyone can give any tips please say.

(Preferably, this question should be answered by students with a REALLY REALLY GOOD GRASP OF FRENCH, so good that they are able to get A* easily!)
:eek:

Scroll to see replies

I'd say rather than trying to learn verbs, adjectives, etc. try putting them into a useful sentence. Also learn/practice some common phrases so you can say them in a speaking test if you get a bit lost. :smile:
For learning words, try and see if they sound like any English words meaning the same thing. That's what i do. :smile:
Reply 3
earlgrey92

(Preferably, this question should be answered by students with a REALLY REALLY GOOD GRASP OF FRENCH, so good that they are able to get A* easily!)
:eek:

Such students wouldn't need to revise for the GCSE :biggrin:
Reply 4
Listen to French radio.
I found doing past papers really helpful, I found it really useful for the reading papers, which is my weaker skill.
Memorise speaking exam text
There is like 50 poss questions, so memorise 50 answers :smile:
Reply 7
Drop it :smile:
My teacher also advises me to learn as many keywords, go through test papers and you'll find a list of the same key words that come up, make a list, learn them off by heart, then look at past paper question and how they are structured, try to gain technique to answering them and the same type of questions come up e.g. Reading - Select 3 positive comments & 2 negative comments. That's in EVERY paper. So go through things like that. I also find it hard with French, the vocabulary is easy but test papers are fairly difficult for me.
Reply 9
Ok, these are my tips - I did this for GCSE and am still doing it now:

1) Learn vocabulary - I do this topic-by-topic - so if you have 'health' as a topic, learn all words in this category. There's no point learning everything in one day - do vocab for a topic in the morning then go over it before you go to bed.

2) Learn grammar - not just the simple things, but try to learn some "impressive phrases" that you can slot into almost any essay that will earn you bonus marks.

3) Know your oral presentation inside out - think up of some questions your teacher can ask you about it and try to prepare model answers - don't sound too reharsed though otherwise it comes across as fake!

Hope that helps.
Learn as much of the vocab on this as possible:: http://www.aqa.org.uk/qual/pdf/AQA3651WSG.PDF
I used it for both my French and Spanish GCSEs, and GCSE is mostly a matter of vocab IMO. You should be fairly comfortable with the reading and listening if you know the majority of the vocab in there. Learn how to form and recognise all the tenses too, and for speaking have a basic gist of all your answers. It's up to you, but I prefer not to learn by heart because then your going "erm..." all the time trying to remember it word for word, and it sounds more natural if you just learn how to word key ideas. ALso, past papers, past papers, past papers, and practice, practice, practice for speaking :smile:

Good luck :smile: The vocab is useful even if you're not on AQA, and the Letts GCSE book is very good .
Reply 11
well i did my french gcse a year early last year and got my a* with 358/360. The most important things are grammar and vocabulary. Learn the grammar absolutely thoroughly, and as others have said, learn the vocab by topics. Test urself afterwards by speaking and writing down sentences. The oral presentation is also almost guaranteed full marks if you just learn it off by heart. Hope u get ur A*! I've got german to worry about this year now...
Rosh_123

1) Learn vocabulary - I do this topic-by-topic - so if you have 'health' as a topic, learn all words in this category. There's no point learning everything in one day - do vocab for a topic in the morning then go over it before you go to bed.

2) Learn grammar - not just the simple things, but try to learn some "impressive phrases" that you can slot into almost any essay that will earn you bonus marks.

3) Know your oral presentation inside out - think up of some questions your teacher can ask you about it and try to prepare model answers - don't sound too reharsed though otherwise it comes across as fake!

Hope that helps.

Doesn't matter how rehearsed it sounds, as long as the accent/pronunciation is good. :smile:
You shouldn't be revising a language as such, at least I have never done so myself. Like someone else has said, I'd suggest you do past papers. Now I am on holidays, so I'm not doing anything but at school/tuition we do a lot of past papers, especially the translations which are very useful; sharpens your grammatical skills.
Reply 14
Grammar. It's all very well knowing vocab, but it's what you do with it that counts. Is it this year they've stopped doing orals?
Selene
Grammar. It's all very well knowing vocab, but it's what you do with it that counts. Is it this year they've stopped doing orals?

They're stopping orals? :O
Reply 16
addylad
They're stopping orals? :O

http://www.journal-online.co.uk/article/2996-government-to-drop-oral-language-exams

It seems they're being replaced with something similar though. Still...
Reply 17
Learn vocab well, just practice makes perfect with vocab really. Learn grammar ending etc, and make sure you can use certain verb tenses in a sentence.

For your orals, just learn prepared answers off by heart, but be prepared to adapt them slightly in the exam.

The tips from Rosh_123 are good.
Reply 18
Rosh_123

Hope that helps.

Thanks that is very useful :smile:
Reply 19
tape ur speaking answers- prep is best

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending