The Student Room Group

Can I apply through clearing to a course I have rejected for?

Title basically explains it. Although I missed the word "been".
Was unsuccessful in a course...but I know there are usually places in clearing. Am I allowed to go about it that way?
Reply 1
oui
Go for it... Although, are you sure there was not a really obvious reason you were rejected in the first place? Maybe ask for feedback first...
Reply 3
You can, I think, but they might take into account that you were rejected in the first place. Bizarrely, you can't apply through clearing if you turn down your offers, so if you get rejected from a course, and accepted elsewhere, you can't then apply through clearing to that same course, but, if you applied beyond your means, it si entirely possible that you could re-allpy through clearing (having been rejected for other offers) and get in. Bizarre!
Reply 4
You can indeed, how your application will fare probably depends on the grades you have achieved and if the feedback they gave you is relevent (i.e. if you flopped an interview, I'd think it fair to assume your chances may be lower but I still think if there are enough places, you'd get in any way).
If I were an admissions person, I'd be impressed with the determination you show by trying for the same course at the same institution again.
Good luck!
Reply 5
BibbleJW
You can, I think, but they might take into account that you were rejected in the first place. Bizarrely, you can't apply through clearing if you turn down your offers, so if you get rejected from a course, and accepted elsewhere, you can't then apply through clearing to that same course, but, if you applied beyond your means, it si entirely possible that you could re-allpy through clearing (having been rejected for other offers) and get in. Bizarre!

This confuses me. I have offers from other uni's. But unsuccessful for the one i really wanted. So if i don't accept any of my offers and just try for clearing....thats not ok?

I know why I was unsuccessful. My grades are a little short of the entry requirements but i thought as it was not a very competitive course i may have a shot....obviously incorrect there.
Reply 6
Chez87
This confuses me. I have offers from other uni's. But unsuccessful for the one i really wanted. So if i don't accept any of my offers and just try for clearing....thats not ok?

I know why I was unsuccessful. My grades are a little short of the entry requirements but i thought as it was not a very competitive course i may have a shot....obviously incorrect there.

I was told that the only way to get into clearing was to be rejected, not to reject. I missed out on my first choice by a couple of grades, and was told I couldn't refuse my second, and go into clearing for my first, despite the fact that there were offers being given for grades lower than mine.

My advise: If you can't be where you want to be, want to be where you are!
wait i dont get it...
you can only apply through clearing if you have rejections??
i have 4 offers but got rejected for the one i wanted the most, as did others from my 6th who applied to the same uni as me .
i thought i could just try applying again through clearing! oh well there goes my plan!
Reply 8
bumble_bee_zee
wait i dont get it...
you can only apply through clearing if you have rejections??
i have 4 offers but got rejected for the one i wanted the most, as did others from my 6th who applied to the same uni as me .
i thought i could just try applying again through clearing! oh well there goes my plan!

Best to check, but I understood that I couldn't do that. I might have misunderstood, or it might have changed.
Reply 9
If I decline my offers, will I be eligible for Extra or Clearing?
It is likely that you will be eligible to use these services. Extra runs from the end of February to the end of June. You will be eligible to use this service if you have:

already made five choices,
received decisions or withdrawn from all these choices, and
declined any offers made.
From mid-July, if you have received decisions from all your choices and you have declined any offers made, you will be eligible to apply to other universities and colleges in Clearing. You do not need to have already made the maximum number of five choices to be eligible for Clearing.

http://www.ucas.com/students/track/faqs/replyingtooffers/declining

Which seems to say you can go through clearing even if you reject your choices. However I don't think you can hold on to an offer and still go through either service

EDIT: Also, read here: http://www.ucas.com/students/afteryouapply/clearing
oh ok thanks coolh5000 that makes sense i suppose!
Reply 11
Ok so that's good. I will perhaps do that....although I really hate that uncertainty of just HOPING i get a place through clearing. I know my course at this uni always has places in clearing....but I was rejected once, very possible they will do it again in clearing eh?
Reply 12
Chez87
Ok so that's good. I will perhaps do that....although I really hate that uncertainty of just HOPING i get a place through clearing. I know my course at this uni always has places in clearing....but I was rejected once, very possible they will do it again in clearing eh?

Ignore everything BibbleJW has said. It's complete and utter rubbish.

You can apply anywhere you like during Clearing as long as they have places. You can even try to apply to courses that don't have places, but you won't get very far. However, if they've already rejected you they probably won't ant to accept you unless something about your application changes. So ask for feedback to see why you were rejected, and see if you can change this. Do work experience or similar if possible. Work as hard as you can to get good grades. And read the Clearing guide on the TSR wiki
Just for the record, U can also apply through adjustment to a course you have initially been rejected for right?/
You will be rejected immediately.

They didnt want you now, they wont want you in August either.

Time to just accept that, this year at least, you wont be going to that Uni.
I recently did this but with a similar course at the same university, will I keep my accommodation for that university?
Original post by ben_hasy
I recently did this but with a similar course at the same university, will I keep my accommodation for that university?

I just answered this exact question.
It depends on the accommodation policy and how quickly you can get in touch with accommodation.

Better if they have accommodation guarantee and it extends to clearing.
Better if they havent given it away yet.
Better if they have lots of accommodation.
Better the faster you contact them. You should have done it as soon as you were cleared. If you havent been then still tell them to see if they can hold.

Ps this thread is 10 years old. please dont bump very old threads.

Quick Reply

Latest