The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
idealreality
I haven't started taking it in school yet, but I will be next year. I've read a lot of books on law school (albeit, they're all on the American and Canadians systems) and I've read a lot of the pre-reading provided for students entering law and find it really interesting.

This is a good use of initiative to read these as you should know from that whether or not Law is the subject for you, which it obviously is now you have read some of the material and still want to go into it. In Canada do they have personal statements? If they do, then include this in your statement and say that you enjoy reading about Law etc :smile:
Reply 21
fiona-92
This is a good use of initiative to read these as you should know from that whether or not Law is the subject for you, which it obviously is now you have read some of the material and still want to go into it. In Canada do they have personal statements? If they do, then include this in your statement and say that you enjoy reading about Law etc :smile:

They don't have personal statements in Canada for entering university and Law is a graduate course here. But, I want to apply to the UK so it doesn't make much of a difference anyhow :biggrin:
Reply 22
imomo16

Likely as not you in the next two years your interests and preferences will have changed a lot!

Everyone says the same thing! But, is it unheard of that people have committed and went all the way?
Reply 23
idealreality
Everyone says the same thing! But, is it unheard of that people have committed and went all the way?

Well, no, of course some people do!
But what can happen is that a person gets fixated on one option early on, makes choices that close doors to other potential areas, and then only when it is too late realise that the thing they thought was amazing a year back actually isn't so appealing.
I'm not saying that this will happen to you, and its really good to be interested in things and considering your options. And by all means, look into unis and courses and read law books if they interest you, but don't start stressing out or closing doors on yourself this early. You have plenty of time to decide on things, is all I'm saying, and rushing into being dedicated to one area is not always a great idea.
Reply 24
Anyone applying in 2032 here? :smile:
Reply 25
I started thinking about university in year 4 (2.5 years ago) because that's when my marks started to count towards my diploma.

Turns out though it didn't help for anything. My school completely blocked my ambitions and I was rejected from Oxford last month. I'm not blaming it on my school , but I'm saying it didn't help AT ALL to stress about it for 2.5 years. In fact I think it may have damaged my health...

I got an offer from St Andrews last week which I am REALLY happy with... but the conditions are still higher than the marks I can realistically achieve.

So really. Enjoy researching universities (gave me some hope, you know, a good goal to work towards) but do NOT stress about it. Whatever happens, happens.
Reply 26
All of this makes sense and I'll definitely take it into account. Thank you to everyone :smile:
Reply 27
tragedy_x

Cheers to a fellow Canadian though! =D

Being a Canadian, do you know which gr. 11 and 12 marks I should be aiming for if I want to apply for law at places like UCL, LSE, Warwick, and KCL?
I'm thinking around a 92-94% average will be good...
Reply 28
Phobia27
Anyone applying in 2032 here? :smile:

Yep, international study in Oceania, ministry of truth.
Reply 29
idealreality
Being a Canadian, do you know which gr. 11 and 12 marks I should be aiming for if I want to apply for law at places like UCL, LSE, Warwick, and KCL?
I'm thinking around a 92-94% average will be good...

In regards to law, I'm not certain. It'd be best to email the unis and ask. What I can tell you, however, is that your grade might not matter. For example, I have recieved an offer from Worcester - I know what you're thinking, its nowhere near as prestigious as UCL, LSE, Warwick, or KCL, but hear me out first! - and their only condition was that I obtain the Ontario Secondary School Dimploma. They specified no desired average. Of course, this could simply be because Worcester has significantly lower standards than the ones you are considering. I don't know if this is the standard offer for Canadian's from Ontario (if this is the case, I'm sure the same would apply for a diploma from whichever province) since I haven't recieved offers from anywhere else yet, but it is very possible. Plus, the way things work out between the Canadian and UK system, you'll have recieved conditional offers from unis before you find out your grades. This gives you time to work on meeting the conditions of the offer. By the way, unis in the UK won't look at your grade 11 like they do in Canada. Anyways, back on what I was saying... You'll recieve conditional offers before you find out what grades you got, meaning that they will accept you on your own merit, even if you might have to achieve a certain grade, more so than on your grades. Plus, if they really like your personal statement, they'll give you a low offer to try to get you to go. If I were you, I'd worry less about your grades and more on your personal statement. Focus on showcasing who you are and what makes you stand out rather than worrying yourself over a 90+ average. That is one thing I much prefer about the UK system. The unis get to see who you are, how passionate you are about a subject, and how suitable you are for a course. I think this is soooo much better than being a number and a grade on a piece of paper.
Reply 30
Naaa I'm applying in 2010, and I haven't thought of posting about it yet:P lol :biggrin: x
Reply 31
tragedy_x
By the way, unis in the UK won't look at your grade 11 like they do in Canada.

Does that mean they'll be putting less or more emphasis on them?
Reply 32
idealreality
Does that mean they'll be putting less or more emphasis on them?

It depends solely on the university. Go on UCAS and look at entry profiles. That will show you exactly what the uni is looking for. Also, read through ALL the information about the course on the uni's websites. In there you will also find out what the uni is looking for. Some unis care a lot about grades while others are more interested in your personal statement.

What I meant by what I said is that on the online application for uni in Canada (specifically Ontario for me) your school will send off both your grade 11 and grade 12 marks. When you fill out a UCAS application, you only put in your grade 12 marks. I was basically saying not to worry about grade 11 because it won't affect your application.
Reply 33
tragedy_x
It depends solely on the university. Go on UCAS and look at entry profiles. That will show you exactly what the uni is looking for. Also, read through ALL the information about the course on the uni's websites. In there you will also find out what the uni is looking for. Some unis care a lot about grades while others are more interested in your personal statement.

What I meant by what I said is that on the online application for uni in Canada (specifically Ontario for me) your school will send off both your grade 11 and grade 12 marks. When you fill out a UCAS application, you only put in your grade 12 marks. I was basically saying not to worry about grade 11 because it won't affect your application.

Wow, that's so reassuring-thank you SO much! Based on what you said I'm guessing the universities wouldn't even see my gr. 10 marks?
Reply 34
idealreality
Wow, that's so reassuring-thank you SO much! Based on what you said I'm guessing the universities wouldn't even see my gr. 10 marks?

Haha, no problem. I'm more than happy to help!

Nope! The unis don't see anything other than your grade 12. Then again, if the unis offer you a place and ask for your transcripts, they might see your grade 11. I'm not certain because I don't know exactly what information is on the standard high school transcripts. It is very possible that your grade 11 marks will be on the transcripts. I'm doubtful that grade 10 will be on there, though. Regardless, the unis won't take your grade 11 into consideration. They only want to see your grade 12.
Reply 35
I'm applying in 2011 (well it's sort of re-applying after the degree i'm doing atm) for Veterinary tis a long way off to be posting yet though if you want any good info.
Reply 36
2011 laaaaaaaaaaawl......wtf :lolwut:

2010 here ...don't you think it is a bit too early :rolleyes:
Reply 37
tragedy_x
Then again, if the unis offer you a place and ask for your transcripts, they might see your grade 11. I'm not certain because I don't know exactly what information is on the standard high school transcripts. It is very possible that your grade 11 marks will be on the transcripts. I'm doubtful that grade 10 will be on there, though. Regardless, the unis won't take your grade 11 into consideration. They only want to see your grade 12.

I live in Ontario and I always presumed my "high school transcript" would be grades 9-12. I also thought that the Canadian equivalent to GCSE's was Gr. 11 and all of the universities want "GCSE at 'x-grade' and international equivalent.

Sorry if I'm dragging on and on about this but I'm really quite worried and want to be prepared :smile:
Reply 38
idealreality
I live in Ontario and I always presumed my "high school transcript" would be grades 9-12. I also thought that the Canadian equivalent to GCSE's was Gr. 11 and all of the universities want "GCSE at 'x-grade' and international equivalent.

Sorry if I'm dragging on and on about this but I'm really quite worried and want to be prepared :smile:

Hm, I suppose its possible, but I highly doubt it. Since the online application only sends off grade 11 and 12, I don't see why the transcripts would say any different. Though, like I said, don't worry too much about transcripts. They might not be necessary.

Ahahahaha! I thought that for ages as well. I finally emailed the unis and they clarified. It'll help you out a lot if you do. When in doubt, ask. It's far better than making your own assumptions since those could be wrong. The last thing you want is to take any risks when it comes to making such big decisions as going to uni overseas.

Don't worry! Go on with any questions you have and I'll gladly help as best I can. I certainly wish someone could have helped me out while I was going through the UCAS process. Stupid guidance counsellors refused to give me any help because there weren't "qualified to give information on university outside of Ontario". They were so useless!

Its good that you're working at preparing yourself. Like I said, you're a tad bit early, lol, but I suppose the earlier you start the easier it'll be. I wish I'd started planning earlier. I'd started looking into unis and courses in October, but didn't make any final decisions until like, the two weeks before I sent off my application. :p:
Reply 39
I called UCL to ask, and they said that previous years would be looked at to "distinguish between the applicants". I'm presuming it's gr. 11 because when I said gr. 10 they didn't give me a straight answer and I hardly believe that they would look into my gr. 10 extensively.

I have the same problem! My guidance counselor didn't even know what UCAS was and I had to explain it to her...

But like you said earlier, I guess my best bet is to have strong 12th grade marks and a solid personal statement.

Latest

Trending

Trending