The Student Room Group
I had this all last year because I had started a new school. It was particularly bad over the exam period - I calmed myself down by being sick (vomiting was unavoidable actually). It gradually got better as I gained more confidence around school. Seeking the doctor's advice was pretty useless. I think with time, it will get better - there is no immediate cure for it.
nish81
so there was no way to not vomit? i've also been of the opinion that going to the doctor wont help - unless I'm willing to take medication, which I'm not. is there anything you did while you had 'bouts' of anxiety to make yourself feel better, anything to distract yourself? And also, would the 'consistent vomiting' over a period of time lead to any long-term complications or anything?

thanks :o: it's relieving to know that i'm not the only person who has/had this..

Difficult not to vomit. Distractions might help - think about the summer and the things you might get up to.

Anyway, it was horrid to begin with. It was psychological with me. Are you quite a shy, reserved person? If so, try to gain confidence (I know that sounds stupid to say) but that was the cure for me. I've become a very laid-back, confident person over the last year. It's really helped my condition - I can control the anxiety and sickness.
Ive had the same sort of thing. Keeping busy, getting enough sleep and doing exercise helped.
Reply 4
try eating mints to stop vomiting, don't know if it would help but worth a try. The best thing to do is probably distraction, maybe try reading a good book that's thought provoking or thinking about happy things. Also a good way to calm down when your panicking is to count backwards or do math in your head.
Reply 5
nish81
I wouldn't call myself shy, definitely not with people i know, but i'm not the most socially confident with new people. i'm also hyper, and i have a tendency to over-worry or over-think things. maybe, following along your lines, i could try and become more laid-back and less worried about stuff?

do you think that the anxiety would release stomach acid or something? i had a Tums after dinner and wasnt naseous, but i'm not sure if it's a placebo effect or what.

Your stomach contracts when you're nervous - the 'fight or flight' reaction. Technically, if you were about to be attacked by something, vomiting would make you lighter and make it easier to run away from your predator... except in most situations now, there is no predator except your over-anxious self. Learn to control your breathing - you may notice that you hyperventilate before you throw up? Slow your breathing down, reduce your heart rate and the adrenalin that makes you feel this way. Focus on something else really mundane - recite stuff in your head, count, whatever. You are in control of your body, whether or not you feel it.

This website is pretty comprehensive: http://www.panic-attacks.co.uk/panic_attacks_1.htm

It doesn't include nausea among the symptoms, but it's a pretty common symptom of a panic attack, and can be controlled by the methods on there. Good luck!
nish81
so i'm really not able to deal with this anymore, and i need some help. for a couple of months now, i've been getting what i think are best described as 'anxiety attacks', a sudden irrational feeling of nervousness and fear for no reason, which often ends in me vomiting and the feeling subsequently disappearing.

It's been getting worse recently, and generally happens soon after a meal. By now everytime I eat a meal I subconsciously think to myself 'please dont vomit again', which often leads to the anxiety happening anyways. perhaps best described by something i found when googling it:

I'd appreciate any and all advice on this :s-smilie: I've tried starting some basic meditation to help relax myself generally, and i'm not sure what else to do. I dont want to go on medication, because I dont think it would address the core causes of this, whatever they may be.

some things that have changed recently in my life:
- the amount of exercise i do has decreased some
- i'm right in the middle of IB exams, and worried about meeting my uni condition (although this started some ways before exams)
- in a couple of months, i'm going to be leaving the country where i've spent the last 13 years of my life, probably forever, and leaving my family behind on a different continent, with all my friends scattering around the world

I'd appreciate any help :frown:

I had this, it started during exams and lasted about a year, and just got better by itself. I think it was the stress of the exams, and my body just got used to being/feeling sick. Sorry it's not much help, but it might get better by itself. I just stopped being sick by eating less and not doing as much exercise and not drinking alcohol...
I started to suffer from anxiety/stress caused nausea last summer the feelings would come on completely randomly with no trigger. It stared of quite sever, I felt sick almost constantly, threw up after almost every meal and lost a lot of weight. I got metoclopramide (I think that’s spelled wrong) tablets from the doctor which stopped the vomiting. Gradually over time I have begun to suffer less and less.
Now I only suffer from the nausea when I leave my home town. I currently see a therapist which I think is helping. One thing I used to find particularly helpful when suffering from nausea is life drawing, it seamed to take my mind off it.

Latest

Trending

Trending