The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Bubbles*de*Milo
Probably. Afterall..."You're your own worse enemy". :wink2:
Yep.
Reply 21
Because "knowing you're pretty" is arrogant. You can't 'know' that you're pretty. Beauty is subjective, you might be hideous to some, beautiful to others. If you "know you're pretty" that implies that you think you're pretty to absolutely everyone, that it's an undeniable fact - which it most certainly isn't. You can 'think' you are pretty, but 'knowing' you are pretty definitely implies arrogance, you assume that everyone finds you attractive.
Reply 22
all girls are different and attractive to different people so who are we to judge?
Bubbles*de*Milo
I don't look down on people who aren't pretty. I look down on people who make absolutely no effort whatsoever with their appearance. Never heard of make-up or tweezers, and always wear unflattering, big clothes. Them type of girls. :dontknow:

What about those who try too hard. Hair extensions, masks of make-up, fake tan to the point of going orange. Surely those types are worse? :dontknow:
Reply 24
Tefhel
Because "knowing you're pretty" is arrogant. You can't 'know' that you're pretty. Beauty is subjective, you might be hideous to some, beautiful to others. If you "know you're pretty" that implies that you think you're pretty to absolutely everyone, that it's an undeniable fact - which it most certainly isn't. You can 'think' you are pretty, but 'knowing' you are pretty definitely implies arrogance, you assume that everyone finds you attractive.

spot on :yep:
Reply 25
I base my looks on how I feel not other people. Yeah I've had people say I'm pretty but I just say thank you because it's dependant on my confidence levels as to whether I believe it or not. If my boyfriend says it when I've put in the effort for a night out then I'll believe it. If he says it in the morning or when I'm ill then I ignore it despite it probably being his opinion as he's biased. Everyone's different so I don't know if the label 'pretty girl' can really be used that easily.
Ilora-Danon
The fact that you look down on anyone makes you a ****** person.

Quite. Though why I was surprised to read this kind of thing coming from that particular poster, I'm not sure.
Reply 27
menagerie
I think it's more to do with people who think that being pretty makes them worth more than someone who isn't.

It does, the way someone looks is the most important thing about them.
Hogo
Theres nothing wrong with knowing you look good.

Just don't have arrogance. Simple.

:ditto: it's the ridiculous over confidence that some people have just because of their looks that p****s me off! :mad:
n0c0ntr0l
What about those who try too hard. Hair extensions, masks of make-up, fake tan to the point of going orange. Surely those types are worse? :dontknow:

Nah - at least they're trying. It's a different form of beauty, and not one I'm a fan of, but at least they make the effort.

My first post was misleading; you don't have to cake yourself in make-up, or bother particularly with your hair. If you're nice without it then fair enough, but the people who make no effort - bushy eyebrows, frizzy hair, stuff you can control and change but don't - I don't understand it. Why waste yourself? Appearance is the first thing you notice in someone - if someone looks grimy and horrible that's not a good impression. Why would you want to look like that? Who doesn't want to be shiny and polished? Argh, I just don't get it. And that's why I look down on them... it's like they want the World to see them as lazy and like they can't be bothered and don't care. Just don't get it.

I'm not even especially high maintenance... I dye my own hair, today it only took me 10 mins to do my make-up and get dressed, but at least I try to look presentable.
Ilora-Danon
Yep.

Love you too Lor. :excited:
Jennybean
Quite. Though why I was surprised to read this kind of thing coming from that particular poster, I'm not sure.

Me neither. Why on Earth would you surprised by me saying that?
Reply 32
Well come on people... I think if you say resemble angelina jolie or whichever other celebrity, then you can safely say that the majority of people will be of the opinion that you're pretty. That doesnt make you a knob for realising it. Sure, not everyone thinks typically attractive people are attractive, but I think most people have a fair idea of who's considered to be pretty and who isnt.
Bubbles*de*Milo
Love you too Lor. :excited:
Yeah, don't mention it, Bub :p:
Bubbles*de*Milo
Nah - at least they're trying. It's a different form of beauty, and not one I'm a fan of, but at least they make the effort.

My first post was misleading; you don't have to cake yourself in make-up, or bother particularly with your hair. If you're nice without it then fair enough, but the people who make no effort - bushy eyebrows, frizzy hair, stuff you can control and change but don't - I don't understand it. Why waste yourself? Appearance is the first thing you notice in someone - if someone looks grimy and horrible that's not a good impression. Why would you want to look like that? Who doesn't want to be shiny and polished? Argh, I just don't get it. And that's why I look down on them... it's like they want the World to see them as lazy and like they can't be bothered and don't care. Just don't get it.

I'm not even especially high maintenance... I dye my own hair, today it only took me 10 mins to do my make-up and get dressed, but at least I try to look presentable.

Aha, you refer to those who look like absolute tramps. Yes I agree with you there. They do need to scrub up to at least look presentable.
i know a girl who's stunning, probably an 8/9
but she genuinely doesnt know it, and i don't think she's ever had a bf

so im thinking maybe people find the fact she doesnt know she's boom unattractive
everyone tells me i'm ''stunning'' but i still don't think so ,cos i'm not arrogant.
Bubbles*de*Milo
I don't look down on people who aren't pretty. I look down on people who make absolutely no effort whatsoever with their appearance. Never heard of make-up or tweezers, and always wear unflattering, big clothes. Them type of girls. :dontknow:

ditto
Reply 38
The crucial point you're missing is that ALL girls get told they're pretty at some point or other by guys who are sufficiently ineligible and desperate. In no way does that make it true. Being told you're pretty is not a reliable indication of actual beauty.
n0c0ntr0l
They do need to scrub up to at least look presentable.

what i dont get is when they have arm hair or facial hair
WHY DON'T THEY WAX!

Latest

Trending

Trending