The Student Room Group

Is nursing the right choice for me?

I have just finished my A levels in Biology, Chemistry, History and Genera, Studies and I also have an AS in Textiles.
For my AS's I got AABCD and I am expected to get ABBD for my A Levels results on the 20th August.
However I applied to uni this year to do Biomedical Science and have now decided that it isn't for me and I want to do nursing. I have always wanted to help people and work in a hospital from a very young age. My main aspiration in life was to be a doctor, but my AS results meant that I could not do that and I feel that Biomedical Science was a compromise, but now a year on I have realised Nursing is what I would like to do.
I have a fair amount of work experience and have spoken to many people about nursing and I am going to try and become a Health Care Support Worker in my local hospital in my gap year.

I would like to apply to the top 5 universities for Nursing. Do you think I would be what they are after?
you need to decide , what if any health care profession you would best fit into ....

there are no 'top 5' unis for health professional courses
Reply 2
If you want to apply to the top 5 unis have a look on The Times Uni Online Guide or The Guardian's one too.

Although in terms of education, everywhere is the same as there is only one type of newly qualified registration. But if you want to get a get a really good and interesting experience on placement may be look into unis which are near the bigger hospitals.
Reply 3
hannah123123
I have just finished my A levels in Biology, Chemistry, History and Genera, Studies and I also have an AS in Textiles.
For my AS's I got AABCD and I am expected to get ABBD for my A Levels results on the 20th August.
However I applied to uni this year to do Biomedical Science and have now decided that it isn't for me and I want to do nursing. I have always wanted to help people and work in a hospital from a very young age. My main aspiration in life was to be a doctor, but my AS results meant that I could not do that and I feel that Biomedical Science was a compromise, but now a year on I have realised Nursing is what I would like to do.
I have a fair amount of work experience and have spoken to many people about nursing and I am going to try and become a Health Care Support Worker in my local hospital in my gap year.

I would like to apply to the top 5 universities for Nursing. Do you think I would be what they are after?

You might be in a better position to make a decision about whether nursing is right for you after you've worked as a HCA/support worker for a while. You might find out you actually hate it, you'll just have to wait and see! :smile:
Reply 4
Normal requirements for Nursing degrees are BBC with C at GCSE Maths and English and the best thing is they don't need science at A2.

Especially with your planned work experience in your gap year, I think you're a great candidate for a nursing degree.
Reply 5
Normal requirements for Nursing degrees are BBC with C at GCSE Maths and English and the best thing is they don't need science at A2.

Especially with your planned work experience in your gap year, I think you're a great candidate for a nursing degree.
Reply 6
http://www.ahealthcareer.co.uk/what-expect-from-nursing-career.html

also, read stuff like the nursing times as its good if you know whats going on the nursing world.

also, be aware of large drop rates and lots of stories of people getting bullied.
similarly, you will be required to work nights and weekends in your training.
Reply 7
i'm glad your taking a gap year to get experience! I can definitely recommend that. You can't tell from someone's grades alone if they are suited to nursing! It's not like other courses. You will soon find out yourself if nursing is what you want to do! And that will come across to the interviewers.

EDIT:

The UK Nursing league table of leading universities and colleges is constructed and ranked using the following weighted indices:

1. Quality of teaching
2. Student A-level results
3. Graduate post-degree deployment (& proportion in employment within set period following graduation)

Nusing league table of top 5 UK universities

1 Portsmouth
2 Manchester
3 Leeds
4 Surrey
5 Nottingham

To be honest, I wouldn't really go by these league tables and what people think! Its you that should decide, sometimes you have to go there yourself and decide which atmosphere you like the best and whether or not you like the University.
i agree don't just go with league tables.. go to open days i think that's the best way to decide, Greenwich isn't particularly high up but when i went for an interview i really liked it, everyone was really friendly, the location is nice and the specifics of the course are great, stuff that wouldn't be counted in a league
Reply 9
top 5 unis for nursing.....???

it will not make a difference what uni you went to when it it comes to registration and getting a job or even when it comes to further trainning.

if you get a good insight into nursing and still feel it is for you then you have just as good a chance as anyone else.

Latest