The Student Room Group

When do you become 'too old' to still be living with your parents?

Some people think you should move out as soon as you graduate and find a job. Some say a year or 2 after you graduate, and others think it should be by a certain age or just when you can afford it. What if you've graduated and have a good job, but you stay at home so you can save money for a deposit on a house/flat? Some people say my friend should have moved out, even though she isn't earning much and would have to spend nearly all her salary on rent. What do you think of this kind of thing?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'd say 19, personally.
IT DEPENDS ON THE PERSON!!!!!1111
Srsly, a severely disabled 30 year old and a workshy 18 year old can't be compared. :hmmm:
My older brother left home at 18 for university and hasn't lived with us since :smile: He does visit us but he shares a house with other people.
Reply 4
I'd say beyond 25 is getting old for still living with parents.
Even if you are spending your salary on rent you need to get your complete independence and non-reliance on your parents some time and it helps when bringing girlfriends/boyfriends back to your place if your parents aren't hanging around. :lolwut:
Depends on the person and the situation really. If they are not having any problems socially or with being independent in other areas then its not a problem.
Reply 5
I'd say 27.
Reply 6
After your graduate from uni.
Reply 7
When you can afford it. Graduating from University does not necessarily mean that you have a job that pays enough to move out entirely - especially with the job market as dire as it is.
Reply 8
When you can support yourself (vague yes, but it depends on the person).
Reply 9
I'm biased: I moved out at fifteen.
Depends entirely on the person/salary/situation.

I moved out at 18 and it's great to be independent but sometimes I wish I had that security still. I hear my friends complaining that they haven't got enough money over the summer for going out and partying and I think well at least they have their food and shelter whereas if I have no money then I don't eat, simple as.
I realise that could sound a little self pitying! I chose to move out so I take the responsibility for it, times have been very hard but I wouldn't go back even though it'd be a hell of a lot easier.
When you can support yourself properly :smile:

Having said that, my uncle is 45 and still lives at home. He has a well paying job, bathes once a month and my grandparents cut his toenails.

Lovely!
Reply 12
if you have a steady income, are not a student anymore and can afford to move out,

then no reason to further burden your parents with your presence
Reply 13
when you can afford it.
Reply 15
I think mid-late 20s is when it starts to seem a little weird.. Having said that, I do have an uncle who still lives with my grandparents, and he's in his 50s but that's because he's just a total waster...

It depends on when you can afford it though, really. I don't think it's practical to move out if you're barely earning enough to afford the rent on a bedsit or the like...
Reply 16
Reply 17
Put it this way, I don't plan on returning home permanently after uni.
Reply 18
hmmm if you haven't gone to uni/done an apprenticeship by the time you're 22 I reckon you shouldn't be there.

However, uni kids slightly different....I haven't lived with my mother for more than four months at a time since I was 18 but I keep it as my "permanent address".

I have come back for the summer this year but after I go back to uni this time I'll have somewhere to live every summer probs so there will be no need.
Reply 19
I'm 23 now and feel like I need to be out.
Getting cramped and irritating still being under the thumb!

Latest

Trending

Trending