The Student Room Group

Calling all cheaters...

I know there's the saying that goes.. 'once a cheat always a cheat', but I'd like to know whether any of you have cheated in the past or in previous relationships and not done it again and wouldn't even dream of it now?

I cheated on my current bf quiet a few times early on in the relationship, and he did the same with me. After so many arguments and things we decided we couldn't be away from each other and decided to go back out. We seem a lot more happier and satisfied with the relationship this time round, and it's been a long time and I've stayed faithful to him. And it seems like he feels the same way.

When we're young we can all make mistakes, so maybe I'm thinking that people can grow out of the cheating phase? And whether it's the same partner or a different one they might not cheat again??

Scroll to see replies

u dirrty cheat!!!!!!!!!!
Yah I cheated on my first boyfriend twice, once about four months in and then again a few months later. He was so crazy about me (misplaced love I'm afraid) he let it go, we eventually dated for a year and broke up because, ironically enough, I wasn't keen enough and didn't love him.

Been with my second boyfriend about eight or nine months and I would never ever ever cheat on him, even though we're LDRing it now. I think it boils down to how committed you are to the person. I could never do that to him.
I've only ever had one bf that I never cheated on - cheated on the current one a couple of times now. I'm 19 though and my general thought is that really if you can't do this stuff now and get it out your system then when can you do it? I assume that when I meet the person that I want to spend the rest of my life with (which will probably not be for a long time if ever) then I'll be good. I think that people can change.
Reply 4
Fancy a ****??
Yeah, you can grow out of it. We all do stupid things without really realizing what we're doing. I've only ever cheated once, and it was mostly due to immaturity, because I knew I liked the other guy better but refused to admit it until it was too late. If I'd just broken up with my bf I could have saved all involved a lot of grief.
But this was all a while ago now and I've learned from my mistakes. Never been happier :smile:
ye i used to cheat on my ex boyfriend loads when we were young, and though he never found out he never really trusted me anyway, and we kept breaking up and going back out, then like the third time we tried i never cheated on him again, and it was much different. so yeah i reckon people can change. :biggrin:
Reply 7
Anonymous
I've only ever had one bf that I never cheated on - cheated on the current one a couple of times now. I'm 19 though and my general thought is that really if you can't do this stuff now and get it out your system then when can you do it? I assume that when I meet the person that I want to spend the rest of my life with (which will probably not be for a long time if ever) then I'll be good. I think that people can change.

But that's just wrong. If "doing this stuff now" is sleeping around a bit, that's fine (a lot of teenagers do it) but just don't do it while you're in a relationship. Just don't get into relationships in the first place. I have a lot more respect for people who acknowledge their promiscuity by staying single than those who appear to try to deny it by getting into relationships they can't sustain where they'll just upset the other person.
Reply 8
Its weird if you don't cheat to be quite honest, at some point in your life. I believe cheating is only bad when you have a family, ie kids to care for, and then the relationship (ie staying stable and loyal) is much more important.
Reply 9
best75
I know there's the saying that goes.. 'once a cheat always a cheat', but I'd like to know whether any of you have cheated in the past or in previous relationships and not done it again and wouldn't even dream of it now?

I cheated on my current bf quiet a few times early on in the relationship, and he did the same with me. After so many arguments and things we decided we couldn't be away from each other and decided to go back out. We seem a lot more happier and satisfied with the relationship this time round, and it's been a long time and I've stayed faithful to him. And it seems like he feels the same way.

When we're young we can all make mistakes, so maybe I'm thinking that people can grow out of the cheating phase? And whether it's the same partner or a different one they might not cheat again??

I used to cheat and treat women badly, until one of two things happened.

1. I grew up

2. One of my Ex's tried to run me down with the car.

Now i like to consider myself a decent guy :-)
Tom.
I used to cheat and treat women badly, until one of two things happened.

1. I grew up

2. One of my Ex's tried to run me down with the car.

Now i like to consider myself a decent guy :-)

Yeah, I think that would be quite enough to put anyone off cheating :P:
Reply 11
MichaelG
Its weird if you don't cheat to be quite honest, at some point in your life. I believe cheating is only bad when you have a family, ie kids to care for, and then the relationship (ie staying stable and loyal) is much more important.

i agree
Reply 12
looloo90
i agree

its nice to have someone agree with me for a change :p:
serrellen
But that's just wrong. If "doing this stuff now" is sleeping around a bit, that's fine (a lot of teenagers do it) but just don't do it while you're in a relationship. Just don't get into relationships in the first place. I have a lot more respect for people who acknowledge their promiscuity by staying single than those who appear to try to deny it by getting into relationships they can't sustain where they'll just upset the other person.

It's not like I mean to do it or anything, and I do manage to sustain the relationships I'm in - I've never broken up with someone over cheating. No one finds out so no one gets upset about it - not that I'm suggesting that it's fine or anything.
Anonymous
It's not like I mean to do it or anything, and I do manage to sustain the relationships I'm in - I've never broken up with someone over cheating. No one finds out so no one gets upset about it - not that I'm suggesting that it's fine or anything.

But cheating during a relationship is not going to aid the relationship. It is going to detract from the relationship, and you can't just keep cheating and assume it will remain undiscovered. If it's wrong, it's wrong, whether or not it's found out.
Reply 15
instead of being exclusve with someone, and then cheat on them, why not just let them know right at the start that you are seeing other people? By doing this you can continue to see other people and theres no feeling guilty as everyone knows where they stand
i have only had one super-serious relationship. i never cheated on him. but that was because i was utterly in love with him and would never dream of doing anything like that to hurt him.

i can imagine it may be different if i were just seeing a guy who i wasnt in love with though.
I kissed a few other guys when I was with my ex and the same with my current boyfriend.
(3 years, 2 n a bit years respectively).

HOWEVER... I do think people can change.
I was so young when I was with my first boyfriend we were together when I was 14 to 17, and I don't think I was really ready for such a serious commitment.

My current boyfriend kissed this other girl fairly early in our r-ship and lied about it. as in the girl told me and he kept lying- that i found worse. but that was 2 years ago now. and in many ways he has been such an amazing guy. im his first proper girlfriend and for the first 6 months we were barely together. Now we are so close and I do think people can change. I'm sure I wouldn't do that to him now, nor him me.
People do make mistakes, especially when young doesn't mean they always will.

If you and your boyfriend have decided to move on and trust eachother I think that's great.
Reply 18
Once a cheater, always a cheater. The label sticks, even if you have 'changed'.
I've cheated with every girl I've ever been with, in some form or another. I'm really just past the point of caring.

It's funny as before I had any relationships I never thought I would cheat at all, I guess I just got into the habit of being single.

As for the future, I hope I'll find someone special enough so that I think "No, I don't want to cheat" but I find that unlikely.

Latest

Trending

Trending