The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Anonymous
I would do that if it meant I didn't get caught :smile: I couldn't give a crap if we went to court or anything, I'd like it tbh. Would serve him right.

Do it then. The company won't reveal where they got the number/address from.
If debt collectors come to you house, dont even open the door, dont let them in or allow any point of access for them. They will and have tried to forcefully enter my families house to collect stuff from us for a man who hadnt lived at the address for 10 years. Many debt collection companies are very unscrupulous and most consider themselves above and untouchable by the law.
Anonymous
Not been to court yet, it says in the letter that that is one of the options when they take it further.

So nobody can come to our house and take our things?!

I think I'll just keep quiet about it and pretend we never received a letter :mute:

Just ignore it. Debt Collector's have no legal rights. If they turn up at your door, just tell them to go away or you'll report them for harassment.

By the way, most debt collector's threaten house visits to try and get you to pay. In truth, very rarely will they ever turn up at someone's door, especially for a debt of only a few hundred pounds.

You have nothing to worry about.
Really, you can do 3 things, keep sending the letters back, stating 'not at this address', as the letters will possibly keep on coming. Also ring them to say he no longer lives there and put it in writing to the debt collection agency.
Reply 24
Do the letter, but also make a copy, as even if you sent it by registered post, they might turn round and say "we never got it"
I think you should show your parents - seeing as he seems to be accruing debts on to her or your fathers household.
Same thing happened with my Mum. When they turned up we told them that she'd divorced my dad and left and we didn't know where she was (true) and they left. Never saw them again.

So with your situation just tell them he's doesn't live there anymore and you have no contact.
Reply 27
You haven't seen him for five years. His debt is his responsibility. Debt doorstep collectors cannot take your property as you are not in debt. If they did, that would be robbery.

Contact your brother about it.
Reply 28
latot
Or, like JCM said, write a letter threatening to report them to the Office of Fair Trading if they continue to harrass you and your family

They're not 'harassing' anyone. They're sending a letter to someone who owes them money quite properly asking for it back and pointing out what their (perfectly legal) next move will be.

It's not their fault that some silly girl opened someone else's post because she was 'nosy'. Indeed, I don't think the OP remotely appreciates the seriousness of opening someone else's mail if she dismisses it so casually.

Anonymous
So nobody can come to our house and take our things?!

Do you really need an internet forum to tell you that people cannot simply come around and take things from debtors - or, more to the point, can't simply take the property of anyone the fancy to repay a debt made by another person? :rolleyes:
Write "Does not live at this address" and repost the letter (if you still have the envelope, of course). And do that with any subsequent letter they send. This is the "done thing" I'm led to believe, especially if you do live at the address and you just want to avoid the student loans guys :rolleyes:
Reply 30
JCM89
Write to the company - tell them your brother hasn't lived at that address for X years. Tell them to stop writing to your address and any further correspondence will be considered to be harrassment and reported to the Office of Fair Trading. Sent the letter by registered post (only costs about £1.20).

This.
Just don't let anyone know you opened mail that wasn't addressed to you.

Latest

Trending

Trending