The Student Room Group
Reply 1
ya it should be fine. I am in the same position but have a new powerful laptop so thinking of taking that and not desktop.

it depends on how good your laptop is IMO
Or how big the desktop is...
Reply 3
I really don't want to buy a laptop. I'd rather just take my desktop just to save money and cause it has all my stuff on it but I was thinking it would be a hassle to set up and would take up more room in the car.
Reply 4
I'm taking both because I'm a tech junkie. Bah!

Still, I'd prefer a dual-screen setup and a laptop to having a TV :biggrin:
Sorry it's a BIT off topic but do people use laptops during lectures to take down their notes? Or do people handwrite their notes??? I'm trying to figure out whether I should bring a laptop or a desktop. If laptops aren't allowed into lecture halls and you can't take notes with them I would just buy a desktop.
magichearts
Sorry it's a BIT off topic but do people use laptops during lectures to take down their notes? Or do people handwrite their notes??? I'm trying to figure out whether I should bring a laptop or a desktop. If laptops aren't allowed into lecture halls and you can't take notes with them I would just buy a desktop.

not really, out of my lectures about 80-150 people 1 girl uses a laptop, it much easier handwriting notes, plus you cans draw a picture if needed, you can take them in, just don't end up playing games :p:

the whole desktop vs laptop
laptop as easier to move about, take it home, take it to uni, down the library stuff like that

desktop you can't really move about
I am saving for a laptop to take to Uni already, Im planning on buying a powerful one just before I go in two years time that will last me the whole 6 year course :biggrin:
Reply 8
wombat678
I am saving for a laptop to take to Uni already, Im planning on buying a powerful one just before I go in two years time that will last me the whole 6 year course :biggrin:

I can't remember whose law it is, but there is a saying that after 6 months technology moves on, so your lap top would have to be hugely expensive to be even comparable to a basic one after the 6 years.

I'm talkin 2 k etc.
Reply 9
I am taking my laptop ( it cost £1000) to university with me, simply because my laptop is almost brand new and my desktop is 3 years old and has been completely wiped at least twice.
I think a laptop is easier if you are the kind of person who always uses their computer to take notes and things. If not then just take your desktop, my laptop is easier for me because I don't want to use the public computers.
Reply 10
after sooo long of thinkin bout desktop Vs laptop and countless threads on here. i have decided on buyin a laptop and not a new laptop. i found a really nice one aswel for 450£ and the desktop i was gonna buy is 380£ so not a HUGE difference. i have to leave the desktop at home for my sis and bro!
Reply 11
Chances are you aren't going to have room for a standard desktop PC, so a laptop would be the better option there.

Latest

Trending

Trending