The Student Room Group

Resigning

Probably a bit of a stupid question, but I don't actually know. I'm working part-time at Waitrose currently but am planning to leave at the end of this month. Should I just tell them or am I meant to write a formal letter of resignation? The latter seems a little over the top for a shelf stacking job, but guess it's the proper thing to do. Cheers.

Scroll to see replies

When I left my part-time job at Debenhams I had to give them 2 weeks notice, a letter of resignation and have an assesment with my manager.

All I wrote on my letter was:

Chris, (my line manager)

I would like to say thanks for my time here but unfortunately I must leave at the end of this month due to my upcoming holiday. I would like to work my last shift on the 4th June.

Yours,

Adam
Reply 2
If you want to use them as a reference then I would write a letter, giving them a good length of warning before you leave, usually 2-4 weeks.
Reply 3
Date

Dear *insert names*

I regret to inform you that I will no longer be able to work for you as of *date*. This is due to the fact that I shall be going off to university shortly afterwards.

I would just like to thank you both for making working here such a pleasurable experience and that I have enjoyed working here.
I hope that I’ll still be able to return to work during holidays.

Many thanks,
Name
Sign

Is that alright then? Any improvements I could make?
Reply 4
Leopold Bloom
Date

Dear *insert names*

I regret to inform you that I will no longer be able to work for you as of *date*. This is due to the fact that I shall be going off to university shortly afterwards.

I would just like to thank you both for making working here such a pleasurable experience and that I have enjoyed working here.

Many thanks,
Name
Sign

Anyone?
Leopold Bloom
Anyone?

that sucks tbh.

Just go with the usual:

Dear Sir

This is a letter informing you of my 2 weeks notice of resignation. As of the [insert date] I wish to cease all ties and obligations to your organisation. Please do not write or call.

Signed
Reply 6
Leopold Bloom
Date

Dear *insert names*

Many thanks,
Name
Sign

thats fine
Reply 7
Ok cheers. One more thing lest I forget, are you meant to put your address on or not? Wasn't sure if it was needed for p45 reasons or not.
Reply 8
I don't think it really matters how you resign as long as you give them a good notice period to replace your ass.
Reply 9
Leopold Bloom
Ok cheers. One more thing lest I forget, are you meant to put your address on or not? Wasn't sure if it was needed for p45 reasons or not.

no, you don't put your address. They should have that anyway.

Managers name
position
company name
company address

date

rest of letter

edit: forgot to say, you should put your position in the letter, e.g I regret to inform you that I will no longer be able to work for you as *job position* as of *date*.
Reply 10
Ok, cheers all. Amended accordingly. I'm a complete noob when it comes to these types of things, obviously.
If you want to go back to work during the holidays then don't resign, but go and talk to them about the possibility of going seasonal. Supermarkets (which is what I'm guessing it is) have seasonal contracts so students can go back in the holidays.
I used to work at Waitrose, you need to give the 2 weeks notice in writing, and then if you want to go back for Christmas or summer holidays then write to them again a month or two before.
Note:

the finishing of the letter should be
[Many Thanks]
Sign
Name

(note, sign above your name...)
Reply 14
FadedJade
If you want to go back to work during the holidays then don't resign, but go and talk to them about the possibility of going seasonal. Supermarkets (which is what I'm guessing it is) have seasonal contracts so students can go back in the holidays.

I would have gone down that avenue, but I can't commit to working during any of the next three holidays for certain. I'd rather just phone up and see if they need me as and when I know I'm available to work (otherwise I could well just end up messing them around, which isn't desirable). I know it doesn't guarantee me a job and I guess another drawback is I lose my discount, but for the sake of convenience, it's worth it.

Handed it in, seemed fine and all, so thanks for the help all. Resulted in an awkward, but amusing 'oh' and silence. :biggrin:
Reply 15
what do you do if you want to resign but your store manager is hardly ever in and there aren't any permanent supervisors at the store..? this is my problem here with a well known sports goods retailer i've just started working for but who don't know the meaning of "treating people well"...
Reply 16
calumcvet
what do you do if you want to resign but your store manager is hardly ever in and there aren't any permanent supervisors at the store..? this is my problem here with a well known sports goods retailer i've just started working for but who don't know the meaning of "treating people well"...

Have they got an office you can put your letter of resignation in?
Reply 17
There's the manager's office...I suppose I can sneakily push my letter under his door or something...
Reply 18
thing is, I want to resign now, but I have an interview for Schuh at the end of the month, is it worth keeping a job that I hate (and that's going to end up making me kill myself at this rate) which has such poor pay until then? bearing in mind I may not get the Schuh job...will be immense if I do get it though :smile:
Reply 19
calumcvet
thing is, I want to resign now, but I have an interview for Schuh at the end of the month, is it worth keeping a job that I hate (and that's going to end up making me kill myself at this rate) which has such poor pay until then? bearing in mind I may not get the Schuh job...will be immense if I do get it though :smile:

Depends if you need the money or not I suppose. Bare in mind you'll have to give two weeks notice as well.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending