The Student Room Group

women, what would be the age you would expect to have first and last kids, ideally ?

Estimate. I'm curious, it's for personal/research purposes.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Dogatonic
I don't want to have kids.

I meant if you did, clearly.
Reply 2
Reply 3
Depends where I am regarding jobs/ partners obviously, but I'd say anything up to 40 (for the last child).
Ideally earlier than that, but my mum had me at 40 and I didn't suffer any (obvious) neurological/ physical damage etc. :wink:
27ish until I was around 35?

I'd like to have rid of the buggers by the time I retire, at least!
First - about 28
Last - about 34.
Reply 6
I was intrigued. Just that I am a 29yrold man(clearly the age of my partner can vary up or down, though I'm told women tend to prefer to be the younger.) And a lot of studies are saying that modern western women are having kids later than they really should, it's a lifestyle privelige but in past times they had them earlier and biology dictates that they are at their reproductive peak earlier. I was astonished to find the average age of childbirth in the US is 5yrs younger than in the UK, we are at a whopping 29(.something), and they at a sprightly 24. Many women are leaving it late then shocked to see they can't do it, are more into their careers, picky about men etc apparently.

My Dad and Mum had my sis about my age and me about 36.
(edited 13 years ago)
First, about 27 onwards. Last about 36.
Reply 8
Ideally 25-30 because I want to be a relatively young mum. Realistically, it's more likely to be 30-40 as there is no man on the scene and, at the moment, I am prioritising my career (I think. This changes regularly!).
If money, my education and forging a career for myself wasn't as important to me as it is, I honestly think I would want to start trying for children at around 21 - 22; but, because that's just not practical I'd say between the ages of 27 - 35.
If it weren't for my career, 26-34, but realistically it will be 30-36. :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by doodle7
Ideally 25-30 because I want to be a relatively young mum. Realistically, it's more likely to be 30-40 as there is no man on the scene and, at the moment, I am prioritising my career (I think. This changes regularly!).

What do you think re the property situation and how that ties in with kids.

See, I'd feel better having decent sized, owned property to bring up kids(impossible in my circumstances and these hopuse prices), I can't be getting by in a small flat and bringing up even one child, and I'm not sure I want to take handouts off the parents.
Reply 12
Original post by wolfspirit
If it weren't for my career, 26-34, but realistically it will be 30-36. :smile:

A lot of women are saying that, but why is career so important? (just wondered cos I work to live not vice versa)
first 25ish
last 30
i have no idea tbh.......
late 20's early 30's

i'd like to be a relatively young mum ....yet i want to have a lot of life and travelling experience beforehand so I have lots of stories to tell.
Probably 25-28 for the first. As for last, 35 maybe.
Definitely want kids.
Late twenties/mid thirties.
Though i dislike the thought a little bit.
In my 30s if I did. But I'm not betting I will have kids me and the Mr don't like 'em very much.
Reply 18
You can tell those who have replied so far are middle class...
Reply 19
I've already got 4 kids. Had em all between the ages of 10 and 16.

I like to keep busy, if you know what I mean :sexface:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending