The Student Room Group

Messy life: I got bad A Levels and my parents are still pushing me into uni - help!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by adam_zed
well you shouldnt let yourself get pushed into a situation because your parents want you to do it. TBH i think the foreign uni with GCSES sounds good, but only if there is something you are interested in studying at uni.

Original post by Nathanielle
Hm, do you want to go to University? ( I mean e.g. if education was free?)
{--> See you answered this already. They are less demanding subjects and as you said, you weren't "very happy" at Sixth Form, so there is no reason to beconvinced that you'll never be good at anything. (Perhaps not very good, but good? Not that bad.) Of course you have to do a lot of research to find the right course for you which has appropriate job opportunities.}
Really difficult situation. On the one hand I am not a big friend on "Everybody has to got to University" on the other hand if your parents support you, why don't you give yourself a new chance? Perhaps you can make kind of a "contract" with your parents, e.g. I will try it for a year, but I am responsible and if I see it won't work out, you don't complain and support me doing my way out of Uni.

By the way: University isn't allways University. There can be a big difference between very academic courses and very practical courses.

A very important point, what do you want to do? That would make the decision easier and if you can show your parents a well considered plan for your future will perhaps make them more comfortable with any decision you take.

Good luck!

Yeah, I've been thinking about this, maybe just trying it at least for the first year will be better than nothing? But I don't know, another reservation I have is when a lot of people say that too many people are going to uni and getting degrees. And I somehow feel that me going with my academic history would be a good example of what they're on about :s-smilie:
Reply 21
Original post by Anonymous
From what I've heard and read though, decent unis usually want C grades at the very least, if not more. And I struggle to achieve C :emo:. It only seems like rubbish unis like Southbank or something like that take will take low grades. Is it worth trying for a uni like that?

Much better Uni's than south bank woukd take C grades. Look at University rankings, check uni's you're interested in and their grade requirements, or ucas points.
Reply 22
I think your best option is to redo your A levels... this would stand you in better stead for university life, and self discipline required for uni. Universities would much rather see you've redone your A levels and got a better marks, than applying with less than good A levels. This would show a committment and determination - that you won't give up. That's if you want to go of course... do what you want to do and what you want to do only! :smile: Just be in an open state of mind and try again. At least you know what to expect this time! :wink: All the best with whatever you decide to do.
(edited 13 years ago)
@Anonymous: Don' t listen to what other people say, your are thinking a lot about whether you should go to University or not and are thus you are none of these " Everybody has to go to Uni, so it's my right to study medicine with just GSCEs". Everybody has the right to try hard and do his best. To quit, when you see that it's not for you, has nothing negative. Sitting in front of TV all day and not caring about your future, expecting direct entry to Oxbridge, that's something to blame somebody for.
Short: You are thinking a lot about University, so when you decide to give it a try, you're not to blame for.

(I hope the upper part isn't to weird.)
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 24
I'm very sorry this is anonymous, but I am very embarrassed about my situation, especially my grades, which I know some people would make much fun of. Also, this is very life-related anyway. So I'd rather not be identified. But here goes...

I did my GCSEs two years ago, in which I got mainly Bs. But it was a disappointment, as I had been expected some more As, but never mind since at least they were OK and I got into sixth form.

Then I started sixth form. I think I was suffering a bit from some sort of depression, but I tried to truck on as I really wanted to do well and get into uni in two years time. Unfortunately, things didn't go to plan at all, and I only ended up with Ds and Es, and that is with trying quite hard :s-smilie:. I know I could have gone back to sixth form to retake, but I chose not to, because it didn't feel right to keep on trying, and also I just hated that school for various reasons and needed to stop going there. I feel stupid for not leaving there earlier, but never mind, since what's done is done. I just left then as I now felt like I needed a bit of a break after all that to think things over.

Lately, I've been researching careers and also looking for jobs. I'm still slightly considering uni, but I'm not sure if I should. Since I did so bad at A Levels, could I really cope with uni? Plus, my parents are pushing me to apply as soon as possible for an Access Course or try for a uni overseas that only requires GCSEs, not A Levels. These things cost so much money though, and I'd hate to try them only to fail, like I did at A Level, which was free as well! I really don't know what to do, and all this is really stressing me out :frown:.

Has anyone ever been in a similar situation? And if so, what did you do? Advice please.

Uni isn't for everyone, as a lot of people have already said.

But, you need to clarify exactly what it is that you want. Forget what your head's saying, and forget about all the minor issues, even the big issues.

Does your heart say it wants to go to uni? If so, you can make that happen, but what I'd recommend is trying to study and take your exams in an environment devoid of your parents expectations; this is your life now.
Reply 25
What kind of job(s) would you like for life?
Reply 26
Original post by llys
What kind of job(s) would you like for life?

I'm thinking, something in either business, retail, media, IT or design. Argh, I can't quite decide :s-smilie:. Also, I'm not sure whether I really need a degree for them or not either though. Will just working my way up from the bottom be just as effective?
I doubt many people will take gap years this year, because of the rise of fees.
Reply 28
What would you do if you knew you would succeed? Do you wish for a job that you know require a degree?
Reply 29
I'm thinking, something in either business, retail, media, IT or design. Argh, I can't quite decide :s-smilie:. Also, I'm not sure whether I really need a degree for them or not either though. Will just working my way up from the bottom be just as effective?

Statistically you WILL be better off with a degree; however, it seems to me that the careers you are looking at at the moment are not likely to require a degree in a traditional, academic subject.

You could try for a BTEC National or Higher National Diploma. BTEC Nationals will get you into uni (not top unis, but you are not looking at those anyway), and BTEC Higher National Diplomas are (I think) on the level of foundation degrees, so if you wanted to top up to a degree you could transfer into second year of some degrees.

These courses have a big practical element so you might find them more fun than a traditional uni course. You could also go for an apprenticeship but I'm not sure these abound for IT/media (definitely not media, I think).

I'm not sure how BTEC Higher Nationals are affected by the coming changes in funding of Higher Education though so you should check your options very carefully.

What A-Levels did you take?
Reply 30
Original post by llys
Statistically you WILL be better off with a degree; however, it seems to me that the careers you are looking at at the moment are not likely to require a degree in a traditional, academic subject.

You could try for a BTEC National or Higher National Diploma. BTEC Nationals will get you into uni (not top unis, but you are not looking at those anyway), and BTEC Higher National Diplomas are (I think) on the level of foundation degrees, so if you wanted to top up to a degree you could transfer into second year of some degrees.

These courses have a big practical element so you might find them more fun than a traditional uni course. You could also go for an apprenticeship but I'm not sure these abound for IT/media (definitely not media, I think).

I'm not sure how BTEC Higher Nationals are affected by the coming changes in funding of Higher Education though so you should check your options very carefully.

What A-Levels did you take?

I did Chemistry, English, Textiles and Media.
Reply 31
That's the thing, I'm really not sure. Since I didn't do well at A Level, what if the same happens at degree level? I would almost certainly go to uni if I was a straight A student, but I'm not, so there's my dilemma. I'm just worried I'll find uni difficult. Getting a 3rd class degree would be horrible :frown:.

Okay, well do you have any idea what you'd want to do at uni (if you had the best grades in the world say) then you can look at linked courses which may be similar or lead to a similar career that you'd enjoy. if there's nothing you actually want to study then there's not much point in applying, whereas if its only the grades stopping you then there are other options, maybe access courses or foundation years, look into those
Reply 32
Hey, sorry to hear that you're not happy with how things are going for you. Do you have any idea as to what kind of career you want? If you're not sure, what kind of things do you like doing or think you might like to try? It could be you haven't done as well as you thought you would simply because subconsciously doing A-levels/ uni isn't actually your thing. If you prefer more practical things then it may be worth looking at vocational courses. Pop in to your local college and ask to have a chat with a course advisor. All the best :smile:
I'm very sorry this is anonymous, but I am very embarrassed about my situation, especially my grades, which I know some people would make much fun of. Also, this is very life-related anyway. So I'd rather not be identified. But here goes...

I did my GCSEs two years ago, in which I got mainly Bs. But it was a disappointment, as I had been expected some more As, but never mind since at least they were OK and I got into sixth form.

Then I started sixth form. I think I was suffering a bit from some sort of depression, but I tried to truck on as I really wanted to do well and get into uni in two years time. Unfortunately, things didn't go to plan at all, and I only ended up with Ds and Es, and that is with trying quite hard :s-smilie:. I know I could have gone back to sixth form to retake, but I chose not to, because it didn't feel right to keep on trying, and also I just hated that school for various reasons and needed to stop going there. I feel stupid for not leaving there earlier, but never mind, since what's done is done. I just left then as I now felt like I needed a bit of a break after all that to think things over.

Lately, I've been researching careers and also looking for jobs. I'm still slightly considering uni, but I'm not sure if I should. Since I did so bad at A Levels, could I really cope with uni? Plus, my parents are pushing me to apply as soon as possible for an Access Course or try for a uni overseas that only requires GCSEs, not A Levels. These things cost so much money though, and I'd hate to try them only to fail, like I did at A Level, which was free as well! I really don't know what to do, and all this is really stressing me out :frown:.

Has anyone ever been in a similar situation? And if so, what did you do? Advice please.

Uni is easier than A levels...trust me...
Reply 34
Original post by int_applicant
Uni is easier than A levels...trust me...

Are you sure? I have heard people saying this, but I have also heard the other way round :s-smilie:
Original post by air-ninety-one
your saying it wrong

Hush your gums.
Reply 36
Original post by *Lollo*
What would you do if you knew you would succeed? Do you wish for a job that you know require a degree?

Original post by Netts
Hey, sorry to hear that you're not happy with how things are going for you. Do you have any idea as to what kind of career you want? If you're not sure, what kind of things do you like doing or think you might like to try? It could be you haven't done as well as you thought you would simply because subconsciously doing A-levels/ uni isn't actually your thing. If you prefer more practical things then it may be worth looking at vocational courses. Pop in to your local college and ask to have a chat with a course advisor. All the best :smile:

The career I want is something in either business, retail, media, IT or design. Somewhere along those lines. I just need to figure out what, and how to get into it :s-smilie:

I'm really jealous of people like Richard Branson and Simon Cowell who made it big without all these big fancy qualifications, but then they're probably very rare and very lucky people, amirite? :frown:
Reply 37
I did awfully at A levels and am getting very good grades at uni, it depends if you pick a subject you have a passion for, makes the work a lot easier!
Reply 38

Do not be too discouraged by your bad grades. If you actually do want to go to university, try again. I know plenty of people who, at first, scored terrible, terrible grades, but, after a year to 'get into it', sort out their heads and prepare, they managed to get straight As. If there is one thing I've learnt about A levels, it's that ANYBODY can get As if they want. It might be a lot of work, but do not underestimate yourself just because you did poorly the first time. We all have performances glitches; give it another go. I think it would be good for you, not only because it will lead to university, but because it will prove to you that you are capable (you seem doubtful of your own ability).
Original post by Genocidal
It's better to attempt something and fail than to have never attempted at all and wondered whether you would have passed or failed.

Not when it costs several thousand pounds a year to find out

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending