The Student Room Group

hello sexxxiii wanna hook up 2nite??? ;) - the demise of gentlemen

Scroll to see replies

Reply 200
Original post by shinytoy
there are alot of girls out there that fall for lines like this.

Nothing beats Harry Potter pickup lines.
folk

im a classy gal, all my skirts are below knee length and im always fairly covered, never drunk (teetotal) and virginal. however, this is the third time i have met a dude in a party/bookstore/trainstation and had an intelligent conversation which resulted in him inviting me for dinner.

Are you the holy virgin Mary or Queen Mum???? you sound very oldfashioned.

What are you expecting of this generation of men. have you ever watched mtv???? nobody would regard it as cool to flatter a woman nowadayds. ghetto slang words and low register are the average attitude to get a woman and hopefully just ****. afterwards they go to ask the next girl to hook up.

be happy if one of the guys opens a door for you. that will be the last thing they seem to remember nowadays. I teach at a school and I observe the pupils. I fear that the next generations will be just rude, harsh and nosy but there are no gentlemen or ladies anymore.

moral decline of these children is regarded as cool among them. so, stop dreaming and wake up princess. :-)
Reply 202
Im hella romantic. But only towards girls that go for that kind of thing. Maybe you are a dirty chav OP, in which case dont expect any romance
Reply 203
Original post by plok
And you can thank women for that.

Um, how exactly?
Reply 205

Women don't want everything and more... we want to be treated equally to men, and we want to be shown affection (not necessarily always through gifts and brought things, but through simple words or actions) it doesn't take much to please a woman and that's what men don't understand. That also doesn't apply to all women, perhaps some ... but not all. My boyfriend for example is quite a romantic, and there is thank god still some gentlemen out there.. and I don't take by boyfriend for granted at all, I appreciate the way he treats me and feel lucky to have someone like him. A lot of women would feel exactly the same about their partners/husbands/boyfriends etc. And all the "women" I know, don't expect their relationships to be a "one way street" - but a system of give and take, whereby you have to compromise. Men who are in relationships where the women isn't making any effort and they are making ALL the effort, are fools. If you don't like it, do something about it! Don't just say it, talk and sort the problem out to why it's a one way relationship. You let that happen, that's your fault. A man neither needs to change his ways, for no woman wants to go out with a man who is going to have to change for her to be suitable - men are either like this or they are not. Some men just don't understand what being a gentleman is - it's the simple things.

How come chivalry was apparent so many years ago, every man treated every woman with respect and decency; by showing her affection and support. Men never used to feel inferior but they were above women; we were the inferior ones. Yet men were gentlemen; romance was alive and these men managed it. So why can't so many of the men today? Because most of the male population don't even know what romance is, or how to be a gentleman. Simple gestures such as offering her your coat, holding the door for her and not asking her for half the cash on the first date. Holding her bags for her and surprising her with flowers now and then - and not trying to get into her knickers the moment you know her full name.

Chivalry hasn't faded away because of women, but because of the media and the way "love" and relationships are presented through that along with a lot of other things that have changed in society.
Original post by kitty09

How come chivalry was apparent so many years ago, every man treated every woman with respect and decency; by showing her affection and support. Men never used to feel inferior but they were above women; we were the inferior ones. Yet men were gentlemen; romance was alive and these men managed it. So why can't so many of the men today? Because most of the male population don't even know what romance is, or how to be a gentleman. Simple gestures such as offering her your coat, holding the door for her and not asking her for half the cash on the first date. Holding her bags for her and surprising her with flowers now and then - and not trying to get into her knickers the moment you know her full name.

Chivalry hasn't faded away because of women, but because of the media and the way "love" and relationships are presented through that along with a lot of other things that have changed in society.

I think this is a serious case of rose-tinted specs. The deal for all this 'chivalrous' behaviour in yester-year was the subserviance of women - it is patronisation plain and simple. To state that the behaviour of men towards women has not changed because of women's behaviour and status in society is completely wrong. Many women strive to be seen as equals in the workplace and wider society and are suprised that in a romantic setting they are no longer treated as the 'little woman'. I've said it a thousand times - you can't have your cake and eat it, people don't patronise their equals. You post clearly demonstrates this delusion too - you talk about men paying for meals and buying flowers, etc. but when has there ever been an expectation on a woman to pay her way during the start of a relationship? Why is it acceptable to believe that a man should be the one who does this, even if the woman is the one who has initiated the relationship and may actually earn more than the man? These old behaviours are part and parcel of the patriarchal society, women can't pick and choose what they like.
Reply 207
Original post by kitty09
Women don't want everything and more... we want to be treated equally to men, and we want to be shown affection (not necessarily always through gifts and brought things, but through simple words or actions) it doesn't take much to please a woman and that's what men don't understand. That also doesn't apply to all women, perhaps some ... but not all. My boyfriend for example is quite a romantic, and there is thank god still some gentlemen out there.. and I don't take by boyfriend for granted at all, I appreciate the way he treats me and feel lucky to have someone like him. A lot of women would feel exactly the same about their partners/husbands/boyfriends etc. And all the "women" I know, don't expect their relationships to be a "one way street" - but a system of give and take, whereby you have to compromise. Men who are in relationships where the women isn't making any effort and they are making ALL the effort, are fools. If you don't like it, do something about it! Don't just say it, talk and sort the problem out to why it's a one way relationship. You let that happen, that's your fault. A man neither needs to change his ways, for no woman wants to go out with a man who is going to have to change for her to be suitable - men are either like this or they are not. Some men just don't understand what being a gentleman is - it's the simple things.

It's because of females like you that chivalry doesn't exist any longer. You don't want equality; it's not enough for you. You want affirmative action for women.

Why should a guy pay for your meal? Why should a guy pamper you and give you loads of presents? Especially when you're not giving anything in return. Why should men be chivalrous to women when they're not doing anything in return? You might as well wear a big sign that says "I'm a golddigger" or "I think that I'm a princess who needs to be taken care of".
You claim that relationships aren't a one-way street in the favour of the female, but in your case that's exactly what it is. And it's like that in most relationships today, unfortunately.

And going by your own logic, you could also say that women who get beaten up by their partners, are fools. That it was their fault because they let it happen.
Original post by Mr.j1

Why should a guy pay for your meal? Why should a guy pamper you and give you loads of presents? Especially when you're not giving anything in return.

To be honest I think the unspoken thing is the idea of sex as a commodity that is owned by women and purchased by men as an attempt to allow women to retain the good bits of the patriarchy whilst being empowered.

Now, I'm not saying that all women believe this, but some do and more act this out unconciously. I've certainly been in previous relationships where I felt like I was required to treat my partner as a 'princess' in order to have the privilege of having sex with her (that relationship didn't last long!). This feeling has also spawned a sense of entitlement amongst some men who see that they should expect some 'action' after taking a girl out to dinner.

I maybe off the mark here, but it is my attempt to rationalise the behaviour of many people in casual relationships.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 209
Original post by Mr.j1
It's because of females like you that chivalry doesn't exist any longer. You don't want equality; it's not enough for you. You want affirmative action for women.

Why should a guy pay for your meal? Why should a guy pamper you and give you loads of presents? Especially when you're not giving anything in return. Why should men be chivalrous to women when they're not doing anything in return? You might as well wear a big sign that says "I'm a golddigger" or "I think that I'm a princess who needs to be taken care of".
You claim that relationships aren't a one-way street in the favour of the female, but in your case that's exactly what it is. And it's like that in most relationships today, unfortunately.

And going by your own logic, you could also say that women who get beaten up by their partners, are fools. That it was their fault because they let it happen.

Well the last sentence that you've written has absolutely nothing to do with what we're talking about anyhow... it isn't always easy to get yourself out of an abusive relationship, whether you're a man or a woman, and it is damn right wrong for anyone to abuse any human being to begin with so the victim isn't a fool at all, they are simply someone who has got themselves caught up in a awful situation and would no doubt TRY and get out of as soon as they could without being hurt anymore. However, what I was speaking about was whereby a man can speak to a woman if he thinks their relationship is one sided, that doesn't take a scientist does it!? If there isn't good communication in a relationship then I don't see much for the future... because good communication and trust are the two most vital things within a relationship between friends and gf/bf etc.

My relationship is equal, my boyfriend treats me, I treat him too - its give and take and it definitely is not a one way street. Some relationships may be, but a lot aren't. So in "my case" it really isn't - it's actually far from it. We aren't gold-diggers, that's an absolute load of ****. Golddiggers are women who go out with a man for his money - and that isn't the majority of girls. And we don't think we're princess's either, just normal women who want to be treated with respect and decency as we treat our man. You make it sound like it's a one way thing, and we do nothing in return - have you done a tally, have you researched this and asked couples if their relationships is one sided, I doubt it. The majority these days would be equal, whereby roles are mixed between husbands and their wives. And why do men have to pay for the meal? Well they don't always have too, but to begin with it's gentleman like (which of course you know nothing about) it's tradition and it's how you treat a lady... but because of how society had changed things are a lot more equal so this doesn't stand for much any more and sometimes you can decided to COMPROMISE and pay half. We don't ask for lots of presents and money and gifts, I honestly don't know where you got that from. The women you date must be shallow as hell.

What the problem is, is that you as an individual can't be bothered to get up and treat a lady right, because perhaps you haven't had that treatment back from a women... well find a decent woman then who treats you equally to herself and you'll see that what I'm saying is dead on.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 210
Original post by kitty09
Well the last sentence that you've written has absolutely nothing to do with what we're talking about anyhow... it isn't always easy to get yourself out of an abusive relationship, whether you're a man or a woman, and it is damn right wrong for anyone to abuse any human being to begin with so the victim isn't a fool at all, they are simply someone who has got themselves caught up in a awful situation and would no doubt TRY and get out of as soon as they could without being hurt anymore. However, what I was speaking about was whereby a man can speak to a woman if he thinks their relationship is one sided, that doesn't take a scientist does it!? If there isn't good communication in a relationship then I don't see much for the future... because good communication and trust are the two most vital things within a relationship between friends and gf/bf etc.

The principle is still the same. You're just a hypocrite. If a man treats his girlfriend badly, he's an idiot. Yet, if a woman treats her boyfriend badly then he's a fool. I'm glad we cleared that up :rolleyes:

Original post by kitty09
My relationship is equal, my boyfriend treats me, I treat him too - its give and take and it definitely is not a one way street. Some relationships may be, but a lot aren't. So in "my case" it really isn't - it's actually far from it. We aren't gold-diggers, that's an absolute load of ****. Golddiggers are women who go out with a man for his money - and that isn't the majority of girls. And we don't think we're princess's either, just normal women who want to be treated with respect and decency as we treat our man. You make it sound like it's a one way thing, and we do nothing in return - have you done a tally, have you researched this and asked couples if their relationships is one sided, I doubt it. The majority these days would be equal, whereby roles are mixed between husbands and their wives. And why do men have to pay for the meal? Well they don't always have too, but to begin with it's gentleman like (which of course you know nothing about) it's tradition and it's how you treat a lady... but because of how society had changed things are a lot more equal so this doesn't stand for much any more and sometimes you can decided to COMPROMISE and pay half. We don't ask for lots of presents and money and gifts, I honestly don't know where you got that from. The women you date must be shallow as hell.

You still haven't answered my question. Why should he pay for her meal? What has she done to deserve it? You can't have your cake and eat it. It's typical female hypocrisy. Women only want gender equality if it benefits them. They couldn't care less about men.
If I were to go on a date (not very likely) I would pay for her, but only because I, as a man, is forced to it. I'm expected to pay for her and cater to her even though we're supposedly "equal". It's the same in relationships. Men have to take her out, give her flowers and spontaneous presents, pay for their holiday and so on.

It must be so easy to be a woman in these days.

Funny how you ignored ChemistBoy's post btw.
Reply 211
Original post by Mr.i
The principle is still the same. You're just a hypocrite. If a man treats his girlfriend badly, he's an idiot. Yet, if a woman treats her boyfriend badly then he's a fool. I'm glad we cleared that up :rolleyes:

You still haven't answered my question. Why should he pay for her meal? What has she done to deserve it? You can't have your cake and eat it. It's typical female hypocrisy. Women only want gender equality if it benefits them. They couldn't care less about men.
If I were to go on a date (not very likely) I would pay for her, but only because I, as a man, is forced to it. I'm expected to pay for her and cater to her even though we're supposedly "equal". It's the same in relationships. Men have to take her out, give her flowers and spontaneous presents, pay for their holiday and so on.

It must be so easy to be a woman in these days.

Funny how you ignored ChemistBoy's post btw.

He should pay for her meal "on the first few dates" because it's traditionally what the man does... it all goes back to years and years ago when the man worked and took the lady out for dinner, I don't know why men are supposed to pay for the meal but it's just the way it is. However, these days after a few first dates the women can chip in.

And trust me, we get our side of the deal - we don't come off easily. We give you children, a son to be proud of to carry on your name. I'd like to see a man go through child birth, take on all that comes with hormones and periods (as it is men moan and whine about the littlest of pain)

Back when men and women weren't equal the man was the one earning the money, the woman cooked and cleaned and looked after the children - because he was the one earning he was the one to take his woman out, he was the strong one in the relationship.
It appears like you grew up 50 years ago.
Snobbish,arrogant and diluded individual.
1:Being a virgin doesn't make you better than anyone. The fact that you even mentioned it shows that you use it to look down on people.
2. It's not against the law to wear skirts above the knee. Girls can show off their figure you know! It's not a crime, although there's limits of course.
3. These guys calling you "sexxxiii" only do so because it appears you understand their language. Calling yourself a "classy gal" is using some of these "chavs" language and is quite an oxymoron.

Conclusion: Troll
Lol, if they were really classy, intelligent and educated they wouldn't write like that, therefore I conclude that only chavs wanna shag you. Sucks to be you.
Original post by kitty09
He should pay for her meal "on the first few dates" because it's traditionally what the man does... it all goes back to years and years ago when the man worked and took the lady out for dinner, I don't know why men are supposed to pay for the meal but it's just the way it is. However, these days after a few first dates the women can chip in.

And trust me, we get our side of the deal - we don't come off easily. We give you children, a son to be proud of to carry on your name. I'd like to see a man go through child birth, take on all that comes with hormones and periods (as it is men moan and whine about the littlest of pain)

Back when men and women weren't equal the man was the one earning the money, the woman cooked and cleaned and looked after the children - because he was the one earning he was the one to take his woman out, he was the strong one in the relationship.

The point is that you can't complain about inequality while justifying the man paying for everything initially because it's traditional. If women want equality that has to be all or nothing, not simply when they want it.
Erm, if anything this is the womens' fault for allowing themselves to be wooed this way.
Bangor University

Maybe, people who speak like this are inexplicably getting layed after all. Since I came to uni it's came to my atention that having sex with amazing drunk women is socialy acceptable too. I don't like th modern world and I'm 20 for ****s sake.
Reply 216
folk

im appalled at the lack of gentlemenliness in todays society.

im a classy gal, all my skirts are below knee length and im always fairly covered, never drunk (teetotal) and virginal. however, this is the third time i have met a dude in a party/bookstore/trainstation and had an intelligent conversation which resulted in him inviting me for dinner.

on all occasions, the dude texts me something like 'hi sexxiii whatcha doin??wanna hang tom nite lolzz? meet 4 dinna yea?? ;-)) xox'. since when does a gentleman ask a lady if she 'wana hang'? since when do you address a classy lady as 'sexxiiii!!!;-))'

another thing i have noticed is dudes are so accustomed to loose moralled gals that they expect some sort of relations on the first date. now i dont usually kiss a dude on the first couple dates, i prefer to know the person well. but some of these guys are so used to gals giving head on date 1 or 2 they come to expect it and if you dont offer it they think you dont like them.

also, even BEFORE the first date, i have had dudes trying to feel out if they will get any action to see if it is a waste of time or not. they text stff like 'lookin fwd 2 c u 2nite, u real hott bin thinkin bout u in my arms all day sexxii ;-)). if i greet u with a long slow kiss is that ok or watt??' being a classy lady, no way am i gonna snog a dude i barely know.

but most dudes think if you spot a good looking dude and he sees a hot girl, you dont need to know each other you should just start shagging since you already like the look of each other. and many gals are that way in this day and age, so alot of guys come to expect that from a gal. and when the gal is a classy lady who dresses modestly and doesnt snog random dudes or offer sex for the price of a dinner in Pizza Express, they dont know how to react and either think you dont like them or are gold-digging.

anyone else notice this? what do you do? are there any gentlemen left or only a bunch of wannabe pimps and PUAs?

EDIT: have met most of these types of men after work or walking around in my lunch hour so i have been wearing marks and spencer business suits (skirts all below the knee length, with black tights and no revealing splits) with pearl necklaces, and hair in a bun. i also carry myself in a classy way and work in tax so do not come across in a disgusting way. also these guys are also not chavs, they seem classy intelligent and educated, most have MBA or LLM and wear suits, and speak properly. it is only after the inital approach they try to go all 'street'on me

In real life I bet you're looser than a sleave.
Original post by kitty09

But this isn't the past so why should we hold to traditions that are no longer valid? Are you really suggesting that the reason why a modern man should pay for a first date is because women bear children and it is painful?
Boring.
Original post by JCC-MGS
Do you really have so little going for you that what makes you sophisticated is the length of your skirts?:rolleyes:

This.

Also referring to oneself as 'classy' doesn't make it so. It DOES however make it sound like you've your head firmly lodged up your rectum.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending