The Student Room Group

Anyone else feel like they're going to fail at life?

It might just be scaremongering, but I get the feeling from pretty much everyone I talk to that a sociology degree will get me nowhere. I love the subject, and I'd love to teach it but the impression I get from everyone is that it's a useless degree in a pointless subject.

Seriously, what can I do with a sociology degree other than teach it? :s-smilie:
Hey, don't put yourself down. Sure a sociology degree isn't gonna get you into a career path as easily as some more secure degree choices (Medicine, IT etc). But at the end of the day you are taking sociology for all the right reasons, its better to take a subject that you have a passion for, degrees aren't just to be used to get job afterwards, its also about what you learn, which it sounds like you will value and find interesting. Besides ur degree won't determine where you end up in life, you will :smile:

And its not a pointless subject IMHO, I think it would be very useful in politics, international aid, anything like that
Use the Sociology Degree to get a Masters in something else.

Have you any work experience?

Are you already studying it? If not, choose something else, unless you aim to teach the subject.

There's not a great deal of money in sociology.
Original post by ilickbatteries
It might just be scaremongering, but I get the feeling from pretty much everyone I talk to that a sociology degree will get me nowhere. I love the subject, and I'd love to teach it but the impression I get from everyone is that it's a useless degree in a pointless subject.

Seriously, what can I do with a sociology degree other than teach it? :s-smilie:

"How many people who have said that 'Sociology will get you nowhere' have actually completed the degree? The degree is just a starting point. No degree (apart from Nursing and the like) actually qualifies or trains you for a specific job role - it's up to you what you do with it!"

- a friend of mine studying a similar 'useless' degree of Philosophy at Cambridge :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
It is really up to you whether you want to end up on the wrong side of doing the so called "useless degree". Basically you have to get the best out of it.
Original post by ellakrystina
"How many people who have said that 'Sociology will get you nowhere' have actually completed the degree? The degree is just a starting point. No degree (apart from Nursing and the like) actually qualifies or trains you for a specific job role - it's up to you what you do with it!"

- a friend of mine studying a similar 'useless' degree of Philosophy at Cambridge :smile:

People I talk to who are in their 30s and 40s. I can't see an application for sociology in the private sector, at least not one that would require a high number of graduates. It leads me to thinking that those private sector jobs will be taken by graduates with degrees more specifically tailored to the jobs they apply for. Of course, sociology has a bigger application in the public sector, but depending on the financial state of the country when I graduate (2014/15/16) I could very well not have a job at all.

To me, it just seems that unless you have a BSc in maths or a natural science you're ****ed. Unfortunately, I have no natural talent or predisposition towards maths. I don't enjoy studying it and never have because to me, it's never made sense, despite the purely logical nature of it. I don't fit most of the symptoms but I've often thought I could be somewhat discalculate. My mental maths is tbh, shockingly bad. I'm sure my GCSE Maths paper was marked by a very drunk examiner. Or a monkey.

I just wish I could work with numbers, it'd really assure me of my future. It seems the current workplace has no place for BA students.

:frown:
Doing something you enjoy will always lead you somewhere :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending