The Student Room Group

Worried he would rather be single/in an open relationship..

My boyfriend and I have been together about 2 years, and we are likely going to be at two different unis next year. It's a serious relationship; we've talked years into the future and I honestly can't think of my life without him in it anymore!
I'm concerned that I'm holding him back though in terms of the uni experience, as while I really don't want to be with anyone else physically, or emotionally for that matter, I don't know if he feels the same way, or if he wants to sleep around at uni? I'm not sure I could handle seeing him with anyone else, so not sure if an open relationship is an option really..
What should I do?
Talk to him. Don't just speculate if you don't really have much idea.

Ask him how he hopes things are going to turn out and what he wants from your relationship when you're at uni. You might be worrying over nothing :smile:

I really hate how people ramble on about the ''university experience'' like it's totally amazing and you need to drop everything else in your life to appreciate it fully. I don't see how being in a relationship makes your experience any worse. You can still have an amazing time, just not the shagging everything with a pulse part, and how great that is is debatable anyway! If anything, it will/should take out the ''omg I slept with some really rough looking woman last night and don't know how to get rid of her'' factor :p:
Why do people think that everyone sleeps around at Uni. :colonhash:

You need to let go eventually.
You sound like me when I was in a long term relationship...looking back, I was a bit pathetic. You move on eventually.
Reply 3
I know the uni experience isn't sleeping around :tongue: I just worry he might! I don't know how guys' heads work :biggrin: I'll have to talk to him eventually, I'm just scared of the answer..
Reply 4
lol, so you're going to ask your boyfriend, "so you want to sex other people?"

anyway as mentioned before not much we can do, besides idle speculation which does no-one any good.

we don't know any details of him, nor can we we know so to sum up

different people want different things, so just ask him and tell us the answer.
You've got a good 9 months before you both head to uni- anything could happen in that time. Go with the flow for now and don't overly talk about it- because you'll waste the time you have together in the present, thinking about the future.
I've got a friend in the same situation. Him and his girl friend have been going out for around 3 years and like you they'll be going seperate ways in Uni. From talking to him he's constently hinted that he'd like to have a fresh start at uni and tbh i can't blame him. I think he wants to just enjoy himself at uni without having restrictions on him. I think it'd drive you nuts not being able to "hook up" with anyone when everyone else around you is.

Maybe a couple months before the start of uni just talk to him. If you do get a bad answer then at least you have the chance to move on and start uni a fresh. But he may want to stay in the relationship, you never know till you ask. :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
My boyfriend and I have been together about 2 years, and we are likely going to be at two different unis next year. It's a serious relationship; we've talked years into the future and I honestly can't think of my life without him in it anymore!
I'm concerned that I'm holding him back though in terms of the uni experience, as while I really don't want to be with anyone else physically, or emotionally for that matter, I don't know if he feels the same way, or if he wants to sleep around at uni? I'm not sure I could handle seeing him with anyone else, so not sure if an open relationship is an option really..
What should I do?

Talk to him ..and dont feel guilty that you might be "holding him back" from having the uni experience?..What uni experience exactly is that...that is Bullsh**t in my opinion....

It is about making commitments.....and relationship is about commitment.....Just curious....what EXACTLY is this experience??? going around F**king girls?...or getting drunk and partying.....dating you shouldnt stop him from having a "uni experience", if it involves the whole drinking and partying...however, if F**king other girls is the experience u are referring to, then he doesnt need to be in a relationship with you then.... If you are ready to commit to him, he should be ready to do that same.....that is why it is called a "relationship".....

Talk to him and see how he feels....... The worst thing u can do to yourself at this point is to feel guilty.....I dont see any reason to be..

Goodluck

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending