The Student Room Group

Not cut out for uni.

I managed to get through the first 2 years of uni barely I then messed up my final year and left after Christmas. I decided that I really wanted to finish uni and applied for a transfer to another uni which to my surprise I got.

I have never been a fan of academia. It was always something you just 'had to do' and uni was one those things. I have never loved or enjoyed university like others seem to and i've found myself becoming more and more disillusioned with the idea of university; I have come to hate impending coursework deadlines, even to the point where I feel actual panic at the thought of completing a piece a coursework. I find excuses not to go in to class and just don't feel that I belong at uni.

I have a piece of coursework due in on Wednesday and I just don't understand it. I've put it off and off because I just did not understand what it was about and couldn't face attempting it. I really do not see myself completing it.

A friend suggested that I leave my course as I am obviously not happy there but the idea of wasting so many years of my life and so much money fills me with even more dread than staying. Another suggested becoming a teacher but I can only assume that involves another 3 years of study and the same unhappiness that I have endured thus far.

I was hoping opinions from more people would help me decide what to do...

Scroll to see replies

I ended up leaving uni after 5 months and then was informed I had depression which was due to other medical problems. I had the exact same problems as you, in one side you only have a few months left and leaving so close to the end might be a massive regret, or staying when your so unhappy might cause deeper problems, have you talked to your tutor or dr? x
Original post by DubarryGroom
I ended up leaving uni after 5 months and then was informed I had depression which was due to other medical problems. I had the exact same problems as you, in one side you only have a few months left and leaving so close to the end might be a massive regret, or staying when your so unhappy might cause deeper problems, have you talked to your tutor or dr? x

I've emailed my personal tutor. We have broken up for Christmas now though so I don't know what she can do for me if she ever could to begin with.
It sounds like you're gonna fail anyway. You don't have long left so does it really matter?
Talk to a counselor, someone trained to help in these situations......present you with viable options if you did choose to not continue on with uni!
Original post by Princesschickenbelly
I managed to get through the first 2 years of uni barely I then messed up my final year and left after Christmas. I decided that I really wanted to finish uni and applied for a transfer to another uni which to my surprise I got.

I have never been a fan of academia. It was always something you just 'had to do' and uni was one those things. I have never loved or enjoyed university like others seem to and i've found myself becoming more and more disillusioned with the idea of university; I have come to hate impending coursework deadlines, even to the point where I feel actual panic at the thought of completing a piece a coursework. I find excuses not to go in to class and just don't feel that I belong at uni.

I have a piece of coursework due in on Wednesday and I just don't understand it. I've put it off and off because I just did not understand what it was about and couldn't face attempting it. I really do not see myself completing it.

A friend suggested that I leave my course as I am obviously not happy there but the idea of wasting so many years of my life and so much money fills me with even more dread than staying. Another suggested becoming a teacher but I can only assume that involves another 3 years of study and the same unhappiness that I have endured thus far.

Just stay at uni and work to get a pass...you shouldt waste the time and money already put in.
Op, what was your subject you were studying at uni, may i ask?
Reply 7
Air conditioning studies
Reply 8
Oh, and your cracker problems ain't ****
Original post by bloomblaze
Op, what was your subject you were studying at uni, may i ask?

Psychology.
Reply 10
Psychology.

Try talking to yourself in the mirror, it could help.

But to be honest, stick it out til the end at least dont put all that time and effort to waste.
Original post by wangelo
Try talking to yourself in the mirror, it could help.

But to be honest, stick it out til the end at least dont put all that time and effort to waste.

But if I can't do this piece of coursework I fail anyway.
Reply 12
But if I can't do this piece of coursework I fail anyway.

Its in yourself to find the answer.
Original post by wangelo
Its in yourself to find the answer.

Very helpful. Thank you.

I would stick it out if I were you. Surely you have people on your course who can explain what your coursework is about? You have come so far, and you only have about 6 months left of this and then you will have a degree. If you want to become a teacher, you most probably need a degree and then you can do a PGCE course (which is one year) to get QTS or even an employment based route such as GTP. However, you need a degree. Hope this helps :smile:
Why on earth would you want to become a teacher after despising academia for so long?

Anyway I am the same, hated school, hated sixth form and now struggling at uni studying mechanical engineering which is **** hard.

It sounds like you don't enjoy the course - and it's really too late now to change I imagine. What do you study? Try and get a 2:1, or if you get a 2:2 you can still get a pretty decent salary and life in the army/navy/raf
Reply 16
Very helpful. Thank you.

Sarcasm? :/
X .

Is there anyone on your course you could ask for help? Or the lecturers?
You are afterall a paying customer of the university and they are there to explain and help you as much as you need. There is no point in struggling alone and getting stressed out with it.

I am very similar in the sense if I don't understand something I tend to put it off to avoid the stress of confronting it all.

I struggled with my first piece of psychology coursework but I completed it with the help of other students and lecturers.
Original post by Nottingham_Banker
Why on earth would you want to become a teacher after despising academia for so long?

Anyway I am the same, hated school, hated sixth form and now struggling at uni studying mechanical engineering which is **** hard.

It sounds like you don't enjoy the course - and it's really too late now to change I imagine. What do you study? Try and get a 2:1, or if you get a 2:2 you can still get a pretty decent salary and life in the army/navy/raf

Studying Psychology.

It's not like i'm trying to fail but a 2:1 is never going to happen. Ha ha so if I get a 2:2 my only option is to join the Army? :tongue:
(edited 13 years ago)
But you're so close, don't give up now! If you had considered this maybe a year ago, then yeah, if you're really unhappy, quit but in six months it will all be over!

You're just doubting yourself, remember that you've managed to get this far :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending