The Student Room Group

Psychology course choices which one should I choose?

Hello all, I'm in a bit of a dilemma trying to figure out which university to go to for my final choice for psychology.

Based on predicted IB score and other factors I have narrowed my final choices to:
-University of Aberdeen
-University of Bangor

My question is which one should I go to? Aberdeen has an international reputation for sciences and has a good psych program, as well as being in a nice locale. Whereas, Bangor has an extremely great psychology program with lots of research opportunities to compliment my learning in psychology but in terms of part time job market, unless I speak Welsh, I'll be hard pressed in that area, the location is also a bit iffy.

So with that and whatever other info you can think of or that I have missed or been a bit biased in, please give me your opinion.

Should I choose Bangor or Aberdeen for my other UCAS choice?

Thanks a lot!
Reply 1
What are the different course contents like? Which compliments the areas you what to go into more? Have you visited them? If so which felt more "right"?
Reply 2
I'm unable at any point this year to visit the Uni's, I live in the Philippines.
Original post by cfinal
Hello all, I'm in a bit of a dilemma trying to figure out which university to go to for my final choice for psychology.

Based on predicted IB score and other factors I have narrowed my final choices to:
-University of Aberdeen
-University of Bangor

My question is which one should I go to? Aberdeen has an international reputation for sciences and has a good psych program, as well as being in a nice locale. Whereas, Bangor has an extremely great psychology program with lots of research opportunities to compliment my learning in psychology but in terms of part time job market, unless I speak Welsh, I'll be hard pressed in that area, the location is also a bit iffy.

So with that and whatever other info you can think of or that I have missed or been a bit biased in, please give me your opinion.

Should I choose Bangor or Aberdeen for my other UCAS choice?

Thanks a lot!

I would say Bangor is the best option but as a Bangor Undergraduate Psychology student I am biased. I can help with any questions on Bangor if that helps. Why do you think the location is 'iffy'?
Reply 4
in terms of places to live, Aberdeen is brilliant, Bangors sorta ****, no idea about the course though, got a couple of friends here in aberdeen doing it
Original post by davidglebe
in terms of places to live, Aberdeen is brilliant, Bangors sorta ****, no idea about the course though, got a couple of friends here in aberdeen doing it

How do you know "Bangors sorta ****" if you live in Aberdeen?
Reply 6
Original post by jellybeansx
I would say Bangor is the best option but as a Bangor Undergraduate Psychology student I am biased. I can help with any questions on Bangor if that helps. Why do you think the location is 'iffy'?

Just what I've been hearing from people who've never been in Bangor but live in the UK. Though on to questions: is it easy to find part time work in Bangor? Are there many psychology experiments you can participate in as researchers, also is there lots of opportunities for research experience? how many students per class? Any placement or similar paid/non-paid work available there?

I'll ask more as they come, thanks!
Reply 7
On a slightly unrelated note, I'm also considering changing one of my choices to applied psychology at Kent with the sandwich degree or perhaps Brunel sandwich degree (psychology). Also, what other universities offer good psychology sandwich degrees and is the Kent and Brunel psychology sandwich degree good?
Reply 8
Original post by davidglebe

Can you ask those who are doing the psych undergrad courses what it's like and what other opportunities they have?

Thanks very much

Quick Reply

Latest