The Student Room Group

Why is the NMW allowed to discriminate against age!?

The National Minimum Wage (NMW) is set on the grounds of age:
16-17 year olds get £3.64
18-21 year olds get £4.92
21 years and over get £5.93

Surely, this is blatent age discrimination and why is this allowed?!?!?!

I am 17 and work part time. I find it very annoying that despite the fact I work just as, or harder, than my colleages they are much more than me just because they are over 21?!? :mad:
Reply 1
Original post by jdf1993
x

hhahahahha oh you mad!!!

The different brackets cover different levels of experience and jobs that different ages could do.

Plus, the older you get, the more in expenses you must pay - dad used to take me to starbucks in the car, now im at uni i have to get the bus.

Get over it.
Reply 2
Under 18s need more breaks than over 18s - legally, a 17 year old needs a break if they work more than 4 hours but an over 18 can go 6 hours without a break. There are also other laws about employing them. They may also have less experience.

A lot of places ignore that anyway and just pay everyone the highest minimum wage regardless of age.
Reply 3
Original post by jdf1993

I am 17 and work part time. I find it very annoying that despite the fact I work just as, or harder, than my colleages they are much more than me just because they are over 21?!? :mad:

Google it, I found an interesting government study on why this is done because this thread regularly comes up on here. Essentially it is to make it more appealing for younger people to stay on in education
Reply 4
Original post by Kiwiguy
hhahahahha oh you mad!!!

The different brackets cover different levels of experience and jobs that different ages could do.

Plus, the older you get, the more in expenses you must pay - dad used to take me to starbucks in the car, now im at uni i have to get the bus.

Get over it.

Not really, jobs on NMW often require little skill or experience and people of all ages can do them just as well as each other.

The fact that you have to pay more expenses as you get older is irrelevant. I am doing the same job and getting paid less than someone who is 4 years older than me.
Reply 5

Original post by Juno
Under 18s need more breaks than over 18s - legally, a 17 year old needs a break if they work more than 4 hours but an over 18 can go 6 hours without a break. There are also other laws about employing them. They may also have less experience.

A lot of places ignore that anyway and just pay everyone the highest minimum wage regardless of age.

I agree with some of what your saying. There are more laws for employing under 18s and this may put off employers... but why should we be punished for expecting to be in a safe workplace? Also with regards to breaks, yes I am entitled to have more regular breaks but I do not get paid for my breaks and so lose more of the pathetic wage that I earn.
Original post by jdf1993

Older people generally have more commitments and things to pay for (such as a house, bills, children etc) than younger people.
Plus they generally (though not always) have more experience.
Plus it encourages younger people to stay in education rather than work full time.
Plus quite a few people actually pay more than the minimum wage anyway and pay people the same amount regardless of age.
Reply 7
The careers person at my school keeps telling us there is a case going through the high court about this very issue and apparently because it could set a precedent, a lot of big companies have decided to pay the 21+ wage just incase.
Reply 8
The minimum wage is there to protect people, it's then up to the employer whether they pay minimum or more! I'm on £5.98 an hour at the moment while my partner is on (I won't say what but more) and it frustrates me that my employer choses to pay me only 5 pence over the minimum! I was on £3.60 when I had my first job at 16 and it was ok, I lived at home, didn't have any rent or bills or tax to pay.

Tbh even £5.98 p/h is too low for me at the moment considering I have rent, bills, council tax AND income tax to pay- yes the tax man is taking money from me even though I get barely any hours so rebate please! and somehow live on it, buy food etc?! Yes, frustrating but I'm thankful for the minimum part of it so they can't pay me any less.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Delaney
The careers person at my school keeps telling us there is a case going through the high court about this very issue and apparently because it could set a precedent, a lot of big companies have decided to pay the 21+ wage just incase.

Thanks!! Thats just what I wanted to hear hahah any idea where I could information on what is happening/happened?
Reply 10
Original post by jdf1993
Thanks!! Thats just what I wanted to hear hahah any idea where I could information on what is happening/happened?

No idea really, try google. I'll be honest I don't even know if this 'court case' is real, it might just be something they say.
Reply 11
I was always under the impression that it was to make employing younger, less experienced people more appealing.

If you were hiring and minimum wage was £5.93 regardless of age; would you employ the 21 year old with five years experience or the 16 year old with no experience? You'd go for the 21 year old. If every employer thought the same then young people would find it difficult to get a job to gain experience.

If, however, choosing the 16 year old meant that you saved £2.29 a hour it might make you choose differently!
Reply 12
Depends on the job really. If I was looking for a paperboy/shelf stacker/insert other physically demanding job I would want someone young, fit and healthy with a willingness to learn, not some 50 year old who'll be slow and more likely to get injuries.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending