The Student Room Group

Bottled up feelings

Which is more effective + why?
talking or writing?
The poll option isn t working ,sorry.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Depends on the individual. Personally, I don't like talking to people about my "feelings", but I probably wouldn't write them either. I'll just keep them bottled up until I probably have a heart attack/drug/alcohol related death age 40.
Reply 2
Yeah i agree, depends on the person. For me personally talking would be better, I don't think writing would really help me but talking about things certainly would
Reply 3
Original post by st_23
Yeah i agree, depends on the person. For me personally talking would be better, I don't think writing would really help me but talking about things certainly would

why?
I find writing much easier than talking but that's just me :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
Which is more effective + why?
talking or writing?
The poll option isn t working ,sorry.

I do anything to get them out really, talking and writing. Can't stand to have feelings build up! But if things get too much then I'll usually write them down. If I talk to people often, I feel like too much of a burden.
I write but I would agree with the others that it is quite personal.
I used to bottle things up. I did that for years and now im on anti depressants and anti anxiety tablets!!
I do find though, that for me it is a lot easier to write my feelings down. I feel less self concious that way and I find it easier if I can think about things when im writing but saying that, once I start writing its hard to stop.
Talking to someone 1 on 1 in a dark room also helps!
talking, as paper cannot give you advice :biggrin:
Reply 9
Original post by Anonymous
why?

I don't know, it would just feel like writing had no meaning unless someone read it. If i just wrote something down and no one saw it i'd feel like nothing has changes but by telling someone i'd feel like i got a bit of it off my chest.

Saying that i do tend to bottle a lot of things up but when i do get them out i prefer to talk to someone. Also by talking to someone they can offer you reassurance and advice.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 10
thanks for all the replies :smile: I appreciate your advice :biggrin:
I haven t chosen yet,maybe I ll do a bit of both depending on what I feel comfortable with someone knowing... and what I might need advice with...
Feel free to post more if you have other things to say...
Reply 11
I ve had a couple of ideas,sinse I m not much of a songwriter,I might go for poems or sinse I have difficulty expressing what I feel just put together clips of songs that represent how I feel about certain things or write out the lyrics if the editing is taking too long.
I bottled things up because I was young, stupid and thought that the last thing people needed was me adding to their problems... I lost my mum when I was 13 (7years ago now!) and that was the start of me bottling things up as I knew all my other family were coping with their grief as well... Then it just got worse as I got older. I did some pretty stupid things and I kept things from people because I was worried that people would judge me.

If I have to talk to someone now then I talk to my dance teacher who is also a really good friend of mine. She and I are so alike and although she is almost 20 years older than me, she can relate to things iv done and what im going through as well as she was on anti depressants etc when she was my age and I know that no matter what I tell her, she wont judge me but I also know that if I do something she doesnt agree with she will just tell me straight. It was her that suggested talking in a dark room. You just lie back to back so you cant see each other and talk. I was offered counselling by my GP but I struggle with talking to strangers so I just chose the SSRI's.

I do still bottle things up but not so much these days. Im getting better now though (probably to do with the tablets) but I feel like I am a lot stronger emotionally and more mentally stable.

Sorry for the length of my post!!! x
Aha, true point that! :wink:

Good luck to you too!!!
You asked for advice so I guess it was a good luck with following my advice lol.
writing is a great idea, you should talk to your friends too.
if it's something like heartbreak its nice to have a friend to speak 2
but if its just self expression go get a notepad

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending