The Student Room Group

Student Finance - Depression - Reapplying - urgent help

Right.

I left uni during 2nd year in march 2010 after having really bad depression. At the time I couldn't bring myself to go doctors or uni counsellor and spiraled downwards
Into quite a self indulgent pit of misery on reflection. I left uni and have since got a bit better.
I want to start uni all over again on a much more suitable course, but will need to appeal to get three more years funding and will need a letter from a doctor or someone official. Would a doctor be able to do this retrospectively if I explained everything. Its like they assume people find it easy to go doctors whilst being depressed. I found I was so inadequate at expressing how I felt and behaved that I'd be turned away or fobbed off. What should I do now?
Reply 1
i just think im going to have to try explain to doctor and if they say no lord only knows what im going to do.
Reply 2
Just explain it to your GP and if the GP has a heart, they will help you and write a letter.

The letter doesn't have to say much, just that you had depression, from a doctor and that's all you need.

Your GP will want to help you! Don't be afraid.

Just get the letter and send a photocopy of it with your application

I can't imagine the Dr would say no! Your wellbeing is in their interest
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 3
I just have a problem with people (i mean student finance not tsr people) assuming people find it easy to go to a doctor about depression, i went once before when i was 18, didnt know how to get my point across and left feeling silly for going, and told it would just be exam stress. i couldnt get out of bed, or talk to anyone or go work or turn up to exams when i was in my second yr, i dont know how they expected me to go see a doctor its only till now ive realised how i let it affect my life, and now it has the opportunity to completely dash everything id hoped for.
Reply 4
Original post by No Future
Just explain it to your GP and if the GP has a heart, they will help you and write a letter.

The letter doesn't have to say much, just that you had depression from a doctor and that's all you need.

Your GP will want to help you! Don't be afraid.

you think it will be that easy?? i mean i dont know if it would be in my records of my informal chat with ****ty locum doctor about 4 years ago when i went in the first time and was turned away, that could help.
Reply 5
Original post by moomin-matt
I just have a problem with people (i mean student finance not tsr people) assuming people find it easy to go to a doctor about depression, i went once before when i was 18, didnt know how to get my point across and left feeling silly for going, and told it would just be exam stress. i couldnt get out of bed, or talk to anyone or go work or turn up to exams when i was in my second yr, i dont know how they expected me to go see a doctor its only till now ive realised how i let it affect my life, and now it has the opportunity to completely dash everything id hoped for.

You need to tell your GP all this!
Reply 6
Original post by moomin-matt
you think it will be that easy?? i mean i dont know if it would be in my records of my informal chat with ****ty locum doctor about 4 years ago when i went in the first time and was turned away, that could help.

Yes.

I don't think that matters. You explain what happened depression etc etc and they will most likely write you a letter

Just go and see your GP and stop agonising
Reply 7
sorry all. thanks for the advice, im probably being anxious over nothing, i really cannot sleep till i sort this all out. :frown:
Reply 8
Il let everyone kno what the doc says... Anymore advice

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending