The Student Room Group

University wont contact SFE so that my application can be processed

I suspended my masters degree for over 2 years for personal reasons.
Then I decided to start a new course at the same university.

SFE advised me over the phone to reapply for a new loan with evidence of compelling personal reasons and to ask my university to withdraw me from my previous course so my new one can be a 'new period of study'.
It's been months and my uni hasn't done it.

First, they said it was a problem with how my account was originally set up, then they said it was because my old course no longer exists. Now they've told me that before they can inform SFE my account needs to be withdrawn by the person who originally enrolled me, but they don't know who enrolled me.
They go weeks without responding to my emails, and then when they do it’s a different person and I have to go through everything from the beginning. They've marked my support tickets on the student website as complete, telling me that they've done it when they haven't. They told me they would get it resolved urgently on Jan 9th, right before I paid for my current module. That was the last I heard from them. I've emailed them twice and raised a support ticket but they're just ignoring me.
I started this course in July.
I'm so stressed. I can't decrease my hours in work to study for this masters because I'm paying for the modules, which is expensive and I simply cannot do it anymore.

I've sent my application and evidence to SFE months ago. I literally can't find anything about this kind of situation online, but surely the university can't obstruct my access to funding like this. If they have this much control over my loan application there must be a timeframe they have to abide by.
Please could you tell me if there's anything I can do?
Original post by miss_daisy123
I suspended my masters degree for over 2 years for personal reasons.
Then I decided to start a new course at the same university.

SFE advised me over the phone to reapply for a new loan with evidence of compelling personal reasons and to ask my university to withdraw me from my previous course so my new one can be a 'new period of study'.
It's been months and my uni hasn't done it.

First, they said it was a problem with how my account was originally set up, then they said it was because my old course no longer exists. Now they've told me that before they can inform SFE my account needs to be withdrawn by the person who originally enrolled me, but they don't know who enrolled me.
They go weeks without responding to my emails, and then when they do it’s a different person and I have to go through everything from the beginning. They've marked my support tickets on the student website as complete, telling me that they've done it when they haven't. They told me they would get it resolved urgently on Jan 9th, right before I paid for my current module. That was the last I heard from them. I've emailed them twice and raised a support ticket but they're just ignoring me.
I started this course in July.
I'm so stressed. I can't decrease my hours in work to study for this masters because I'm paying for the modules, which is expensive and I simply cannot do it anymore.

I've sent my application and evidence to SFE months ago. I literally can't find anything about this kind of situation online, but surely the university can't obstruct my access to funding like this. If they have this much control over my loan application there must be a timeframe they have to abide by.
Please could you tell me if there's anything I can do?

Hi there,

For the university to withdraw your application they would submit it through the SIS system that they share with us at Student Finance England (SFE). Instead of emailing them I would advise to call them and ask how would they be notifying us of the withdrawal and request for it to be sent through SIS so we can update the application for you and can then update your new application and Compelling Personal Reasons.
Thanks, Ross
Reply 2
Hi Ross, I’ve explained this to them. They’ve said they can’t doit until the ‘admin side’ has been completed in theirsystem. However they don’t seem to be able to dothat. The only department I can call is ask4help andthey only tell me to raise a ticket with finance, whoare currently waiting for the Student Success Team towithdraw my account, but they’re telling me they can'tbecause they didn’t enroll me.
Hi Ross, I’ve explained this to them. They’ve said they can’t doit until the ‘admin side’ has been completed in theirsystem. However they don’t seem to be able to dothat. The only department I can call is ask4help andthey only tell me to raise a ticket with finance, whoare currently waiting for the Student Success Team towithdraw my account, but they’re telling me they can'tbecause they didn’t enroll me.

Okay, if they were able to confirm your Registration and then suspended your application they will definitely be able to send your withdrawal over to us as well. I am very sorry but we can not work your new application and Compelling Personal Reasons until the previous application is fully withdrawn. Thanks, Ross
Reply 4
Original post by Ross SLC
Okay, if they were able to confirm your Registration and then suspended your application they will definitely be able to send your withdrawal over to us as well. I am very sorry but we can not work your new application and Compelling Personal Reasons until the previous application is fully withdrawn. Thanks, Ross

Thank you, I understand you can’t do anything until they confirm it. I was wondering if there is a timeframe they have to abide by, or any kind of regulations regarding this?
Thank you, I understand you can’t do anything until they confirm it. I was wondering if there is a timeframe they have to abide by, or any kind of regulations regarding this?

Not really no, it just puts a hold onto your own funding which isn't good. The universities don't have a timeframe to do this in unfortunately. Thanks, Ross
Reply 6
Original post by Ross SLC
Not really no, it just puts a hold onto your own funding which isn't good. The universities don't have a timeframe to do this in unfortunately. Thanks, Ross

Okay, thank you for your help!
Okay, thank you for your help!

No problem! If you have any further queries please let us know. Thanks, Ross

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending