The Student Room Group

girls aspiring to be stay at home girlfriends - why???

i know alot of guys who are proud to have a girlfirend who is age 18 - 27+ who just stays at home, cleans, cooks, works out to look nice etc.

many of these girls go through school and uni having fun not working to much, doing degrees in media or arts and dropping out, aspiring to have a man to support them.

now i can understand not being able to find a job, but i dont understand these wannabe WAGs who all they aspire to is sitting at home living off their bf's money.

and i dont understand why guys like/dont mind it?

EDIT: im not talking about stay-at-home moms, ladies with babies etc. im talking about girls who cook,clean,then sit on their bum or go shopping the their mans money all day.

EDIT 2: whats with all the people saying that the full time stay at home spends most of their day "cooking, cleaning, laundry, ironing"??? me and all of my friends do all of these things AND hold down a full time job. those things hardly take up 40 hours a week like a full time job. i wold suggest most of their day is bumming, gossiping on the phone, meeting the girlies for lucnh, watching daytime TV soaps, reading magazines and shopping.
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Because if you're a prince and future king, you have bigger things to worry about.
I would love to eventually be a stay at home Mum until my kids are 4, but I know what you're on about is totally different.

I think a lot of people have got the idea that its "easy" to not do anything. But surely the boyfriends must have an AMAZING job to keep them both going? I think I'd feel too guilty if it was me!
Reply 3
Hmmm I don't know anyone like this.
For me personally I'm doing a biology degree, and I'm doing it well, and I've had an interview for a PhD which I'm hoping to get...so not al girls are like this!

One day though, I do aspire to be privileged enough to have a husband who is earning enough for us to have children and for me to be able to stay at home with them whilst they are young (pre-school age). This is because I strongly believe children need their mother around to bring them up.

As for the wannabe wags, I guess if you're offered a nice house and pocket money on a plate it would be difficult not to just take it. Personally I wouldn't do that for a lifetime as I'd be bored.
If I were earning enough to support both of us, I'd be happy to have a stay at home girlfriend. There's nothing quite like coming home to a clean house and food on the table with everything at home sorted out so that in the evening the both of you can relax and appreciate each other.
Reply 5
Im marrying into wealth. All sorted.
Reply 6
I'd let my girl do what she wants..
I don't know any girl that would want to be a stay-at-home girlfriend :lolwut: Where do you meet these people?
Reply 8
well if it's what they want and it makes them happy, why is it a bad thing?. why are your life aspirations so superior to theirs?

we want them to be happy, if that's what makes them happy the so be it. I like a girl to have hobbies and aspirations but i'd rather a girl be like that, than one of those girls who's constantly going on about politics and economics and how they're going to change the world :rolleyes:
Reply 9
Original post by mikeyd85
If I were earning enough to support both of us, I'd be happy to have a stay at home girlfriend. There's nothing quite like coming home to a clean house and food on the table with everything at home sorted out so that in the evening the both of you can relax and appreciate each other.

thats exactly what all the guys say. that they like a 'traditional woman'

Original post by linkdapink
I would love to eventually be a stay at home Mum until my kids are 4, but I know what you're on about is totally different.

I think a lot of people have got the idea that its "easy" to not do anything. But surely the boyfriends must have an AMAZING job to keep them both going? I think I'd feel too guilty if it was me!

yeah but being a stay at home mom is totally different, babies need constant attention and it is good to bond with them when they are small. but stay at home gfs dont have babies to care for. they have cooking and cleaning a small flat. that isnt a full time job.
Original post by Foo.mp3
Bit of a waste of an education in my view aye :rolleyes:

A lot of 'driven' women/women successful in business also happen to possess characteristics that would not seem commonly conducive to a happy/lasting relationship. Rightly or wrongly most men want a woman who is caring, relaxed and importantly attentive and, in the longer term, prioritises family/'nest feathering'. It just so happens that there is probably a significant crossover with the demographic you mentioned :smile:

wouldnt you feel bad if you work hard on two jobs to support a gf who is just dossing all day?

the guys arent rich btw, one works for britvic, the other is a lorry driver, my driving instructor and one is a surveyor.

also, what happens if things dont work out? they are homeless, do they just move onto the next guy or what?
Reply 10
Well perhaps it's because some guys would love to have a girl that's willing to do all the housework and cooking for them. For guys that want a family, they may like the idea of having someone who can stay at home all day to support the children.

As for girls who just want to sit around all day living off their bloke's money, I don't really get why guys like that. But maybe it makes them feel more "manly" to be the one supporting the other? Or perhaps there are other reasons why they like that girl :wink:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by shinytoy
thats exactly what all the guys say. that they like a 'traditional woman'

Nothing to do with tradition for me. More that we could both spend the evening just chilling out and not having to dick around in the house.
I'm actually kind of in this category...mostly because I got sick and lost my job...I am however attempting to go back to school after having been out for about of year and moving out of state. I have found that though I have been in college and earned a degree and found a subject I was interested in there was nothing I was truly passionate about that I wanted for a career...I was just enjoying something and said well I can't find something I want to do so I may as well get a degree I find interesting. I did this for a while graduated with a couple of A.A.s, transfered to a university had to drop for various reasons, worked for a while, moved out of state with my beau, and am now in the aforementioned situation above. Though I have changed majors and intend to eventually have a job part of me wishes I could be a house-girlfriend because I enjoy cleaning up and cooking for him. I battled with this notion early on in our relationship because I've always been taught to go out and get my dream! Get that college degree! Make something of myself! I think it comes down to doing really what makes you happy. If being a "house-wife" works for the financial setup and makes both people happy what's wrong with it? I know women fought for the right to work the way men do, admittedly through my sociological studies it's gotten us farther but the glass ceiling has yet to be broken and I doubt it ever will, but some don't want that life and I myself have questioned which I want as well.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by mikeyd85

I can absolutely understand why some men think this way. Currently when my partner and I come home it's rush rush rush, cook, clean, stress, and by the time either of us are relaxed it's bed time.

*sigh*

Weekends are ok though, but far too short. :frown:
It's understandable if you've got kids... but childless and living off your man? Get a job. I really don't care about housework.
If it makes them happy, I don't see a problem.
In regards to working, I think most of us have things we would rather be doing.
Reply 16
Original post by Michael Locke
It's understandable if you've got kids... but childless and living off your man? Get a job. I really don't care about housework.

This
Why wouldn't we mind it? Far more than convenient than a gf with...aspirations.
Reply 18
Original post by shinytoy
i know alot of guys who are proud to have a girlfirend who is age 18 - 27+ who just stays at home, cleans, cooks, works out to look nice etc.

I would love to have a domestic girl like that.

If my girl lived off my money, that would make me real proud.

A girl that stays at home, cleans good, cooks good and takes care of the kids, what more can a man ask for???

Women are beautiful creatures, making them work 9-5 and also do all the homely stuff is really not fair.
id love to be a stay at home husband :awesome:

But that will never happen :emo:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending