The Student Room Group

girls aspiring to be stay at home girlfriends - why???

Scroll to see replies

Original post by shinytoy
i know alot of guys who are proud to have a girlfirend who is age 18 - 27+ who just stays at home, cleans, cooks, works out to look nice etc.

many of these girls go through school and uni having fun not working to much, doing degrees in media or arts and dropping out, aspiring to have a man to support them.

now i can understand not being able to find a job, but i dont understand these wannabe WAGs who all they aspire to is sitting at home living off their bf's money.

and i dont understand why guys like/dont mind it?

EDIT: im not talking about stay-at-home moms, ladies with babies etc. im talking about girls who cook,clean,then sit on their bum or go shopping the their mans money all day.

the one thing about men is this: if she's hot we can tolerate almost anything from her.
Reply 61
I Don't know but if i had a really good job and lots of money i wouldn't mind my other half chilling at home or working part time. At least i'd get to see her more and there is more to life than just work. Besides the person staying at home would do lots of work such as cleaning and cooking so it'd be all good.
Reply 62
Original post by Iorek
Why would I mind it? I come from an East Asian background.....okay that's not strictly true since only my mother is Chinese and I spent enough time in those countries. It's generally a status symbol to be able to afford a stay-at-home gf/wife in most of East Asia. It becomes a bigger status symbol if I could also afford maids for her as well as a chauffeur and governess :tongue:

Always wanted one, but all previous partners had their careers or ambition to be in certain careers.

Then I met a certain Welsh girl while doing my 2nd degree..... first thing that got me hooked? I gave her the car key and she started driving me around.... happened after a few months of meeting her.

Then after moving to London, I had her come over, first on the pretext that it would be easier for her to get work since she desperately needed a summer job. Long story short, she then became a stay-at-home gf :biggrin:

What does she do?

She sends me to work on most days because I can't be bothered to drive myself, and I find it beyond me to go on public transport. She does it because it's a sure thing to make sure I'm home straight after work.

She buys my clothes, does my laundry and ironing..... mostly started because I used to send it to this Chinese owned laundry, used to like to go there to flirt with the cute Chinese girl that operated it..... She didn't like it, so she does my laundry now so I won't have the chance to flirt with her :tongue:

She prepares every meal... including my packed lunch on days I need it or she will make sure at lunch time she is around to bring me somewhere for lunch....... why she does this? Simply because she doesn't want me eating with other chicks :tongue: or spending money.

I never need to go to a supermarket or market to buy food or treats, she does it all for me....... simply because it means she is in control and it also means I'm not going shopping with some overseas chick :tongue:

These days she manages all my property investments, I was going to hire one cute Korean chick to do it.... she threw a fuss and insisted I let her do it instead.....told her fine...... she been doing it since.
p

no offense, but driving to work, cooking dinner, making packed lunch, doing laundry - this is hardly something that takes all day every day. most people, men and women do all of these things AND hold down a full time job. i know i, and all of my friends and work collegues do.
ok she 'manages investments' and i guess that is work. but none of the above are extraordinary
Original post by MovingOn
This! Never encountered this before in my life

I know right! I can understand some women want to be stay-at-home-housewives, look after their children etc. but a stay-in girlfriend is just madness!
Reply 64
Original post by Iorek
Why would I mind it? I come from an East Asian background.....okay that's not strictly true since only my mother is Chinese and I spent enough time in those countries. It's generally a status symbol to be able to afford a stay-at-home gf/wife in most of East Asia. It becomes a bigger status symbol if I could also afford maids for her as well as a chauffeur and governess :tongue:

Always wanted one, but all previous partners had their careers or ambition to be in certain careers.

Then I met a certain Welsh girl while doing my 2nd degree..... first thing that got me hooked? I gave her the car key and she started driving me around.... happened after a few months of meeting her.

Then after moving to London, I had her come over, first on the pretext that it would be easier for her to get work since she desperately needed a summer job. Long story short, she then became a stay-at-home gf :biggrin:

What does she do?

She sends me to work on most days because I can't be bothered to drive myself, and I find it beyond me to go on public transport. She does it because it's a sure thing to make sure I'm home straight after work.

She buys my clothes, does my laundry and ironing..... mostly started because I used to send it to this Chinese owned laundry, used to like to go there to flirt with the cute Chinese girl that operated it..... She didn't like it, so she does my laundry now so I won't have the chance to flirt with her :tongue:

She prepares every meal... including my packed lunch on days I need it or she will make sure at lunch time she is around to bring me somewhere for lunch....... why she does this? Simply because she doesn't want me eating with other chicks :tongue: or spending money.

I never need to go to a supermarket or market to buy food or treats, she does it all for me....... simply because it means she is in control and it also means I'm not going shopping with some overseas chick :tongue:

These days she manages all my property investments, I was going to hire one cute Korean chick to do it.... she threw a fuss and insisted I let her do it instead.....told her fine...... she been doing it since.

No complaints, I somewhat feel the need to have a "manager" in my life and she feels the need that she must be in control and possessive at all times. Works quite well... now we are married and I am more than happy to have her be in charge..........for as long as I'm the one making the money :tongue:

Man you're soo lucky!

I wish i get a wife like that.

It would be literally heaven for me.

Just the idea of my wife making me tasty packed lunches for work makes me go crazyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!! W000000000000000t!
Reply 65
no offense, but driving to work, cooking dinner, making packed lunch, doing laundry - this is hardly something that takes all day every day. most people, men and women do all of these things AND hold down a full time job. i know i, and all of my friends and work collegues do.
ok she 'manages investments' and i guess that is work. but none of the above are extraordinary

If you think you can hold down a fulltime job and still do all that she does. I'd say you and your friends are probably take plenty of shortcuts or probably don't do it to the same standard as she does.

Driving me to work, it takes 1hr and 10 mins each way. every now and then she will have to bring me to client sites. Every few months she has to drive me from London to Nottingham and back so I can attend my MBA lectures. What would you know on how difficult it is to drive someone around, you can't even pass your driving test after how many times again?

Housekeeping and laundry.... sure it's easy to do, try living in a country house with 6 bedrooms with display shelves almost everywhere, I collect antiques, books and crystals... ever since she been around there hasn't been a single speck of dust anywhere in the house.

Cooking and prepping meals... considering she doesn't even buy bread or any type of manufactured or prepared foods. Even the eggs we consume are from hens she keeps herself. From this summer onwards, almost every vegetable we consume would have been planted by her on our own land.... now if this isn't extraordinary then I don't know what is especially considering she was also doing this while doing 60 units of coursework for her uni work and spending close to 30 hours each week on managing our property investments.

Original post by n1r4v
And after all that she'll probably bang a Welsh lad while you're at work :colondollar:

A few problems with that theory :biggrin:

Firstly she hates ALL Welshmen.

Secondly, she hates almost all other guys with very few exceptions.

Thirdly, most guys are intimidated or afraid of her :biggrin: Me included :biggrin:

Original post by 4ttari
Man you're soo lucky!

I wish i get a wife like that.

It would be literally heaven for me.

Just the idea of my wife making me tasty packed lunches for work makes me go crazyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!! W000000000000000t!

There's pros and cons to that mate :smile:
Reply 66
Original post by Iorek
Driving me to work, it takes 1hr and 10 mins each way. every now and then she will have to bring me to client sites. Every few months she has to drive me from London to Nottingham and back so I can attend my MBA lectures. What would you know on how difficult it is to drive someone around, you can't even pass your driving test after how many times again?

Housekeeping and laundry.... sure it's easy to do, try living in a country house with 6 bedrooms with display shelves almost everywhere, I collect antiques, books and crystals... ever since she been around there hasn't been a single speck of dust anywhere in the house.

Cooking and prepping meals... considering she doesn't even buy bread or any type of manufactured or prepared foods. Even the eggs we consume are from hens she keeps herself. From this summer onwards, almost every vegetable we consume would have been planted by her on our own land.... now if this isn't extraordinary then I don't know what is especially considering she was also doing this while doing 60 units of coursework for her uni work and spending close to 30 hours each week on managing our property investments.

WOW!

Dude you have hit the jackpot!
Reply 67
Original post by Iorek
If you think you can hold down a fulltime job and still do all that she does. I'd say you and your friends are probably take plenty of shortcuts or probably don't do it to the same standard as she does. i'd say ANYONE normal and working full time still has time for basic hygeine and decency, cleaning up after yourself and cooking are part of that

how is that relavent :rolleyes: i didnt realise being a chauffeaur was necessary to be a wife, again, yes in YOUR case she drive alot. but in GENERAL, the majority of gals dont need to drive their partner around as much as yours does. i and all my friends and all the working people i know who have a god city job commute to work via train/metro
again, the majority of people in their teens/early 20s arent living in a facny manor house. they are living in a 2x2 box flat rented out of their bf's sole income as an admin assistant. in any case, i highly doubt you are in this age range since how many folks can afford something like that our of a grad job earnings? therefore this thread isnt ainmed at peopel like you.

it is aimed at the average student/grad - Joe Bloggs 21 lives with Jane Bloggs,19. he works in telesales full time for £15kpa, with a 2:1 in media art and graphics. they rent a one bed flat with a small kitchen, bog, bedroom which takes 15 mins to hoover. she doesnt work since she cant find a job. what does she do all day? Their average day is :
wake at 7am,
she makes breakfast of cereal and toast, and packs his sandwiches
8am he goes work on the metro, she goes back to bed
10am she goes gym, works out
11am she coffees with the girlies then goes home and watches Trisha
12noon he eats lucnh at his desk.
1pm she lunches with girlies or has mates over
4pm she has 15 min hoover of the house then watches more TV or has a nap or gets her hair done
6pm he finishes work
5pm she puts on some pasta and starts the bolognase
7pm he gets home. they have dinner and watch tv and go bed.

this thread isnt aimed at multimillionaires with 6 bed Jacobean manor houses who drive 1000s of miles a week and would otherwise need a chauffer, maid and chef. such a lifestyle is not reflective of the average student. you are the exception.

again, the aveage grad can barely afford rent of a decent city flat, let along land to keep hens, growing veg etc.

although you might have the most money out of all of us, not all threads are directed at you personally. think about it.

there's pros and cons to that mate :smile:

also if she is so great, why havent you married her? why would gals do with without the legal safety net of marriage?
That would be my idea of hell because I'd feel like a sponger, but thats just me. Each to their own, if they're happy and their boyfriends happy, let them bosh on with it.
Reply 69
Original post by DiZZeeKiD
That would be my idea of hell because I'd feel like a sponger, but thats just me. Each to their own, if they're happy and their boyfriends happy, let them bosh on with it.

i'd feel the same.

also i cant understand how it is an ASPIRATION for these girls to get a rich bf and do nothing. like what is the thought process? omg i cant be bothered with gcses, i will instead apply more makeup and hang out at rich people golf clubs in the hope some rich dude will let me live with him and do nothing?

they base their whole life arond bagging a rich duude?

not even 'bagging' since they arent married.

he can chuck thenm out whenever he feels. they could ome home one day to have been repalced by a 19 y/o ukranian girl. they then would be homeless.

aspiring to be a rich WIFE - maybe i can understand why they might want this. but no ring = no rights.
wtf.
Reply 70
I got a feeling some girls are jealous of stay home girls because they couldn't achieve an easy life themselves.

It's up to them what they want to do. If they want to sponge than let them.
Reply 71
i know alot of guys who are proud to have a girlfirend who is age 18 - 27+ who just stays at home, cleans, cooks, works out to look nice etc.

many of these girls go through school and uni having fun not working to much, doing degrees in media or arts and dropping out, aspiring to have a man to support them.

now i can understand not being able to find a job, but i dont understand these wannabe WAGs who all they aspire to is sitting at home living off their bf's money.

EDIT: im not talking about stay-at-home moms, ladies with babies etc. im talking about girls who cook,clean,then sit on their bum or go shopping the their mans money all day.

EDIT 2: whats with all the people saying that the full time stay at home spends most of their day "cooking, cleaning, laundry, ironing"??? me and all of my friends do all of these things AND hold down a full time job. those things hardly take up 40 hours a week like a full time job. i wold suggest most of their day is bumming, gossiping on the phone, meeting the girlies for lucnh, watching daytime TV soaps, reading magazines and shopping.

I know 14 girls in this village alone who would dismiss that. :tongue: All of whom are following into careers in biking with myself and several guys. We're all outdoor-types and we're all aspiring to be pros.

They absolutely don't want to be inside, and instead spend every minute of daylight out riding. :rofl:

Still, I know what you mean. I'm very glad, however, the girls I know don't want to be in that situation. :colondollar:
(edited 13 years ago)
it wouldn't be my choice. i'm feminine and traditional, but at the same time believe i have more potential than to act as a live-in-caretaker. just like many men, i'm motivated and have got my own professional goals and want to accomplish them. but most importantly, i think that having personal/professional ambitions outside of being a WAG equal being able to stand on one's own two feet, so to speak. at the end of the day, my preference is to put myself first. simple as that.

EDIT 2: whats with all the people saying that the full time stay at home spends most of their day "cooking, cleaning, laundry, ironing"??? me and all of my friends do all of these things AND hold down a full time job. those things hardly take up 40 hours a week like a full time job. i wold suggest most of their day is bumming, gossiping on the phone, meeting the girlies for lucnh, watching daytime TV soaps, reading magazines and shopping.

Because the girls have no decent aspirations, and the boys are happy to take advantage of this fact.
i won't even dignify this with a negative rep.

Original post by Iorek

What does she do?

No complaints, I somewhat feel the need to have a "manager" in my life and she feels the need that she must be in control and possessive at all times. Works quite well... now we are married and I am more than happy to have her be in charge..........for as long as I'm the one making the money :tongue:
Original post by n1r4v
Hmmm... I've always wondered why people say this (not as in I disagree with it, I genuinely don't know). Why would it be boring; if you work in a job, you're forced to do something prescribed / fixed from 9-5, and it's almost always something you wouldn't do of your own volition, unless you're a musician / athlete etc. If you don't work, you can do pretty much whatever you want; doesn't necessarily have to be leisure, you can volunteer or study what you want as well. Is it mainly to do with the social aspect of work or the idea of knowing you're earning money?

Those are the most bull**** assumptions I've ever had.

"You can do pretty much whatever you want" - OK, what about doing my dream job? :rolleyes:

I'm not a feminist, but that post is a thinly-veiled sexist comment. As if you were saying "you can do whatever you want, girls - except get a job".
Original post by Gjaykay
Being a 'House Husband' would be immense.

I may have to dedicate the rest of my life to finding a women who'd be cool with it.

I'd rather that, than me being the housewife.

I'd much, much prefer the man living off of my money, rather than the other way round.
Original post by 4ttari
I got a feeling some girls are jealous of stay home girls because they couldn't achieve an easy life themselves.

It's up to them what they want to do. If they want to sponge than let them.

Why would we be jealous? A live-in GF is the saddest thing in the world. Like WTF? How can you be some guy's slave? No thanks. I want to pay for everything I use out of my own money until I get married and then it will be 50-50.

Even more pathetic is the guy in the relationship who gets some sense of powah from giving his girlfriend three pounds every once in a while to buy some bread for the house. LOL.
Reply 78
Original post by im so academic
Those are the most bull**** assumptions I've ever had.

"You can do pretty much whatever you want" - OK, what about doing my dream job? :rolleyes:

I'm not a feminist, but that post is a thinly-veiled sexist comment. As if you were saying "you can do whatever you want, girls - except get a job".

Usually I can't be bothered to reply to things like this but because you were so rude, and because you're not even a funny troll:

No, your assumption was even more ********. In fact, at first I didn't know wtf you were going on about because I didn't understand these accusations of sexism, but I realised you meant it in relation to home girlfriends. This post was directed at everyone, it could be girls or guys who wanted to stay at home. If you had bothered to read my post one page later, it stated that I would happily be a home boyfriend as well, if I somehow had lifetime financial security. Because I referred to guys and girls, it could not possibly mean that I was being sexist, and renders your tirade absolutely ******* futile. I think you should read the post and read it in context before expressing arbitrary outrage.

Secondly, you seem to be locked up in your own world; not everything is about you. The fact that you construed my post as sexist, and constantly refer to "your dream job" suggests you're thinking this is all about you. This isn't about you. I'm sure you have hopes and dreams like everyone else but seriously, you are not the only person in the world and I think you need to calm down and get over yourself. Maybe when you get older, you'll realise that we're not really that special and the universe isn't centred around you.

And finally, even within your own faulty interpretation of my post, there is nothing wrong with my post. I stated that usually, most people would enjoy doing whatever they want at home, apart from very few cases where people are lucky enough to have jobs which reflect their hopes and dreams. I stated musician and athletes as examples, it quite clearly wasn't an exhaustive list. But very few people in this world are lucky enough to do a job which reflects what they'd do if they had all the free time in the world. The fact that you somehow managed to assume that I said "girls aren't allowed to do a job" shows your embarrassing lack of comprehension skills.

It's as if you wanted to get offended and somehow twisted my post to mean what you wanted it to mean so you could express outrage. You managed to assume I was referring only to girls and being sexist. I wasn't. You managed to assume I said people shouldn't get a job. I wasn't. You even managed to assume both at the same time. Just because for you, your idea of a good life enjoys a job, doesn't mean it does for everyone else. Once again, this isn't about you! Nobody gives a **** if you don't want to stay in the house all day; if you don't, then great, get your dream job, I wasn't talking about people who enjoy their jobs.

I remember you complaining about how people think families are more important than careers and how they try and push these ideals onto you. After revealing your serious misunderstanding and inability to read posts, I think you're the one in the wrong.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 79
Original post by Gandalf_is_a_girl
Why would we be jealous? A live-in GF is the saddest thing in the world. Like WTF? How can you be some guy's slave? No thanks. I want to pay for everything I use out of my own money until I get married and then it will be 50-50.

Even more pathetic is the guy in the relationship who gets some sense of powah from giving his girlfriend three pounds every once in a while to buy some bread for the house. LOL.

you know, i think alot of the guys posting on this thread like the power. they say stuff like ' i feel proud to have a girl live off my money' 'i am glad she relies on me for support and providence'. 'she looks up to me because i have a good job therefore she should slave after me and be grateful'

now i think this is vaguely ok if both parties want it in a marriage, but why on earth would you do that for just a bf who can replace you and kick you out any day he feels??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending