The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 540
Shame to hear people are having problems getting work experience, though it definitely happens regardless of your capabilities, so don't take it personally. Usually the problems are: 1) work experience places get taken quickly (a hospital week I've got scheduled for May was booked a year in advance) 2) Age - some placements are for schoolleavers, some are for over 18's (Insurance reasons) 3) Location, some cities/towns simply don't have that much to offer. However, care experience should be easily attainable, they're usually desperate for staff and short on funding at care homes. Charity shops are everywhere, volunteer there.

I've been lucky enough to work as a paid Carer for almost a year, volunteer on a hospital ward for many months, classroom assistant to disabled children (past), and looking to get more experience over the summer when I have more time. Good luck everyone, keep looking and you'll all get your placements.
Original post by raveen789
D: I am a desperate hopeful :biggrin: whether i actually get the grades to apply is another thing :frown:

Think positive:smile:
What subjects are you doing?
Reply 542
Original post by liviaaa
Is everyone cashing in their AS grades in the summer?

What does cashed in mean? I thought we'd get our certificates august 2012 when we've done the a levels since your a levels are calculating by adding AS too ?
How does everyone feel about signing 5 years of your life away at 17/18? I feel I am going to need resolve this issue with myself.
Reply 544
Original post by SteveCrain

How does everyone feel about signing 5 years of your life away at 17/18? I feel I am going to need resolve this issue with myself.

I'm not 17/18 so perhaps not my place to say but...if it's the career one wants then it's 5 years well worth it, and it's not the 5 years one should be focusing on it's the many years after. It is a huge decision though, and part of the reason I didn't go for Medicine sooner (as well as the fact I was studying and working in a different field). I'm in my 20's now and more ready to make the leap.

Anyone who is daunted by the 5/6 year academic commitment shouldn't panic, it's normal, and the best way to resolve it is just get all the grades you need, then perhaps apply for deferred year to spend that one year productively deciding if it's definitely for you.
Reply 545

I just can't see myself doing anything else really! After my one week at a Hospital I loved it so much :smile: I'm really determined so the 5/6 years will be worth it!...I hope I don't get knocked down in the end though! But hey fingers crossed!
Original post by Cityshy
Shame to hear people are having problems getting work experience, though it definitely happens regardless of your capabilities, so don't take it personally. Usually the problems are: 1) work experience places get taken quickly (a hospital week I've got scheduled for May was booked a year in advance) 2) Age - some placements are for schoolleavers, some are for over 18's (Insurance reasons) 3) Location, some cities/towns simply don't have that much to offer. However, care experience should be easily attainable, they're usually desperate for staff and short on funding at care homes. Charity shops are everywhere, volunteer there.

I've been lucky enough to work as a paid Carer for almost a year, volunteer on a hospital ward for many months, classroom assistant to disabled children (past), and looking to get more experience over the summer when I have more time. Good luck everyone, keep looking and you'll all get your placements.

This is a very good post.

Welcome, welcome to you all.
Original post by digitalis

Welcome, welcome to you all.

Why did I imagine that in a sort of B-movie villain-style cackle? Once you enter the Medicine forum, can you ever leave? :tongue:

(But thank you, it's nice to be here :smile: )
(edited 13 years ago)
what are your 4 choices ppl? :P
Original post by Rocketeeer

No idea, will decide when I've done my UKCAT.

If UKCAT is good: HYMS, Barts, Liverpool, Aberdeen
If UKCAT is bad: probably the same but sub in Bristol for Barts
Reply 551

Imperial Birmingham Nottingham and St Georges :smile:

How about you?? :smile:
Reply 552
So we have time inbetween finding out our UKCAT results and applying?

My 4 choices are probably: Birmingham, Newscastle, Nottingham and Imperial.
Original post by liviaaa
So we have time inbetween finding out our UKCAT results and applying?

My 4 choices are probably: Birmingham, Newscastle, Nottingham and Imperial.

You find out your UKCAT result straight after the test. BMAT you find out after applying, so is more risky.
Reply 554
Original post by Normandy114
You find out your UKCAT result straight after the test. BMAT you find out after applying, so is more risky.

Oh okay, thanks. :smile:

Is BMAT just for Oxbridge and Imperial?
Original post by liviaaa
Oh okay, thanks. :smile:

Is BMAT just for Oxbridge and Imperial?

UCL too, and a few others for veterinary.
Reply 556
UCL too, and a few others for veterinary.

Okay that's fine then, as I'm not bothered really about UCL. I only really want to apply to 1 London uni. As for veterinary, doesn't interest me haha. :tongue:
No idea, will decide when I've done my UKCAT.

I guess UKCAT can only inform your decision so much, though? I mean if you came away with an average of 100 or somesuch then yes, applying to UKCAT-heavy unis probably wouldn't be the best idea, but it must be difficult to judge?

From what I understand you're ranked against other candidates, so there's no 'objectively good score'?

Also, Edinburgh and Bristol seem definites for me, just got to decide on another two... Possibly Nottingham.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Stegosaurus
I guess UKCAT can only inform your decision so much, though? I mean if you came away with an average of 100 or somesuch then yes, applying to UKCAT-heavy unis probably wouldn't be the best idea, but it must be difficult to judge?

From what I understand you're ranked against other candidates, so there's no 'objectively good score'?

Also, Edinburgh and Bristol seem definites for me, just got to decide on another two... Possibly Nottingham.

an objectively good score is above 680+
an objectively very good score, that will be safe for UKCAT unis, is 730/40+

If you score 600 or below, your choices are pretty limited.
Original post by Stegosaurus

That would be impressive seeing as the lowest score is 300 :wink:.
A lot of the universities I'm considering are UKCAT heavy, so I'll wait until the test to decide which ones I'll have the best shot at.

Latest

Trending

Trending