The Student Room Group

Any other guys tired of having really skinny arms?

Scroll to see replies

I always see skinny guys only lifting the lightest of weights and doing the tiniest of reps (I observe them surreptitiously for a number of weeks) then they wonder why they never bulk up. I started off a skinny shapeless blobski with matchstick arms and a no-pack. I now have a decent body, decent arms and decent build. I'm not arnie or David Haye. Not aiming to be those guys, but I improved my physique (and arms) with perservation, motivation, lots of grub and a willingness to push myself further EVER session.

That's what YOU need to do too :dumbells:
Reply 21
Original post by Harry.C
If I ever feel self-conscious about the size of my arms I just put this on:

:hubba:
Original post by Boo!xx
Yes! :P

haha, i'll get my arm cutting saw then and i'll swap it :biggrin:

Original post by DrummerG
Hard, right? If you can't do anything like that, then I'm afraid you're going to be stuck with your arms like the rest of us. I wouldn't worry about it too much mate. If you're that fussed about it, then just do loads of pull ups and press ups. Get yourself a bar to go across a door frame, they're not too expensive. Just try to avoid repetition. Put a load of school/Uni work in a backpack and do press ups. Reps = Tone, Weight = Build.

eh, it's not that I want muscular arms or anything. it's just that when I look at them in pictures it's kinda annoying. plus i'm really self conscious and critical of myself so I want to try and look better since I hate the way how I look :mad:
Original post by DrummerG
Hard, right? If you can't do anything like that, then I'm afraid you're going to be stuck with your arms like the rest of us. I wouldn't worry about it too much mate. If you're that fussed about it, then just do loads of pull ups and press ups. Get yourself a bar to go across a door frame, they're not too expensive. Just try to avoid repetition. Put a load of school/Uni work in a backpack and do press ups. Reps = Tone, Weight = Build.

Pulls ups will slightly tone his back. Push ups will slightly tone his chest and maybe his triceps. He'll still have skinny arms only doing those exercise. He needs to hit the gym to get what hes after
Original post by Dude Where's My Username
Pulls ups will slightly tone his back. Push ups will slightly tone his chest and maybe his triceps. He'll still have skinny arms only doing those exercise. He needs to hit the gym to get what hes after

to be made fun off by the regulars at the gym?
lol i'd rather not waste my money for that and just work out at home...somehow
Reply 25
Firstly, EAT A LOT, Your body type is suited to a high metabolism so eat a lot of food rich in protein. You won't get fat easily, don't cry.

Secondly, Work out using the highest weight you can do for 8 reps and 3 sets.

eg - 8kg x 8 times then do that 3 times. About 24 reps alltogether.

For every set have a 30 second rest.

Thirdly, the reason it's toning is because you're not using a heavy weight.

Determine your BODY TYPE:

* Mesomorph - Able to build muscle easily, gains weight and loses weight depending on how much he/she eats.

* Ectomorph - Generally have a high metabolism and cannot easily gain muscle or fat.

* Endomorph - Usually have a low metabolism, gains fat easily and gains muscle moderately.

The best is Mesomorph (you would've already guessed).

I think you are an Ectomorph. How's your weight?

TAKE THIS TEST to find out what body type you are.:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/becker3.htm

** From my knowledge and experience...

So you try to help people and get neg rep for it. What's the point?
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by TheBlackMonster

Nobody will make fun of you. The roiders were skinny once too. They weren't born beefcakes. Give it a try. You may enjoy it.
I agree, my biceps are pretty average sized but my wrists are so skinny! I don't even know why, I'm the same strength if not stronger than the majority of my year group, but my wrists make me look like a total pussy

aaaarghhh
Reply 28
My arms are only 14.5 inches but I'm not gonna whine about them, I'd be better off spending the time doing curls for the girls :rolleyes:
Reply 29

You need to do high intensity/weights, low reps, i.e you need to fail (nt be able to move weight anymore) between 4-7 reps generally. You basically need to brutalise your body, which is what Im doing. I am also an ectomorph like you, it takes a lot of patience but we look much better when we bulk up as we look ripped cos of low body fat.
My arms are only about 19.5 inches, I get by
I hate them, they're easily one of the most unattractive part of me :mad:
i've tried working out for the past couple months but it only seems to tone what little muscle I have there

same as anyone else?

Exercise your triceps as well as your biceps (if not more). Most of your arm is triceps
Original post by Josh_Dey
Work out using the highest weight you can do for 8 reps and 3 sets.

This ^

I don't understand people who deviate from this. Its strikes the best balance between building strength and building stamina
Reply 33
Original post by Refrigerator
I agree, my biceps are pretty average sized but my wrists are so skinny! I don't even know why, I'm the same strength if not stronger than the majority of my year group, but my wrists make me look like a total pussy

aaaarghhh

wear lots of bands around your wrists? :]
Original post by Boo!xx
wear lots of bands around your wrists? :]

bands aren't my style at all
As mentioned previously put more stress over your triceps and then biceps to get overall bulkiness. :smile:

EDIT: Forum assistance ? how ? :shock:
Reply 36
Just take protein supplement and work out properly..
Original post by newts2k
You need to do high intensity/weights, low reps, i.e you need to fail (nt be able to move weight anymore) between 4-7 reps generally. You basically need to brutalise your body, which is what Im doing. I am also an ectomorph like you, it takes a lot of patience but we look much better when we bulk up as we look ripped cos of low body fat.

I definitely agree with you, we would probably have a really good body shape and look ripped...but it's wayyy too much and I dont know if it's worth it in the end

I dont want to get totally muscular though, but just have some definition in my arms/wrists and maybe a toned 6 pack like so: (maybe even less)

Original post by ibysaiyan
As mentioned previously put more stress over your triceps and then biceps to get overall bulkiness. :smile:

EDIT: Forum assistance ? how ? :shock:

Me too. What do we err.. do?
Original post by JohnC2211
Me too. What do we err.. do?

No Idea, I guess act as mature Tsri'ans. Is this the end of my trolling life :frown: ?

Quick Reply

Latest