The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Straight up G
Well, we've been told recently that everyone is cashing them in so they should follow the trend. I can just say from what I've seen you know. It didn't help that some of them at B/Cs in Biology/Chemistry, which is a real downer, especially Chemistry. I think everyone would prefer to get in first time round, so it's better if you don't aim for grad med?

Yep it varies person to person and University to University. I know people mainly at Leeds and Manchester, 1st and 2nd years, and they are all living the life.
I got really pissed off when I learned we had to come back, it all just seems so pointless. Yep the frees will definitely be used for work. I have friends in the year above, who were all jolly and ready to do stuff during frees during the first few weeks, but now I see them all in the library/doing work somewhere. A lot of stress.

It sounds okay, but most of my summers have consisted of lazing around and being treated like a king in my home country, as well as a one or two great summers over here with my friends, I've never done any work ever, and I'm quite a lazy guy anyway (remind me to revise ffs) so it's a lot of work for me. I think I'll be okay with the maths, I've got a few resources, and I'm just nervous as hell for the PS, I've got ideas but I can't write it down properly. I just get sudden hand cramps whenever I try to get some ideas together.

Don't get me wrong, it's far far better to get in at undergrad and postgrad sounds insanely difficult and yeah, getting in at undergrad is infinitely easier. I just mean that A Levels aren't the be all end all.

I used to work during my frees but I don't any more. :frown: I guess I'll just see how A2s goes... I can't imagine it being that much more work than AS and tbh AS is really bigged up... yeah the work is really hard but actually the workload really isn't as bad as people make out.

REVISE! :p:
Hand cramps, that sounds horrible. :s-smilie: Even when you do it on the comp? TSR has a service where current med students look over our PS if we want them to, btw. :love:
I asked my parents to leave me here while they went to Algeria so I could do volunteer work or whatever, but they wouldn't. I really want to stay in England next summer though, I want to spend it going a bit crazy with friends!
Reply 1261
Original post by Unbiased Opinion
According to this AS grades don't get looked at but it might have changed since then, I don't know.

I think they do though, as they have so many applicants they may as well offer to the applicants who've already cashed in 4 A's - as it's fact, not a teacher's opinion.
Original post by oHellno
I'm never rude :flutter:

And yess, I have. Stats and Biology yesterday, done History today, and will do Chemistry in a bit. I took a very long break today though...oops.

Yes you are darling. Very rude indeed.

And well done. :congrats:. I've been on an extended break since... end of school, if you get me.
Reply 1263
Original post by oHellno
I'm never rude :flutter:

And yess, I have. Stats and Biology yesterday, done History today, and will do Chemistry in a bit. I took a very long break today though...oops.

You did the whole of stats and biology in one day? :eek:
Original post by liviaaa
It was Australia. :smile: As I wasn't that old, I will probably talk more about the cultures etcc.. as I'm sure an 11 year old wouldn't have taken that much into account of the health system?

Okay thanks, if you could find out that'd be great :smile:

What is the Australian healthcare system, actually? I guess you could talk about experiences of it as an 11 year old, but talking about culture would make you really stand out, I think. Makes your personal statement truly personal. :smile:

I'll ask her next time I see her (she never replies to texts/goes on facebook, so it could be about a week before I answer. :colondollar:)
Original post by SteveCrain
you are at a disadvantage if you don't cash them in

While possible, work towards AS Levels, but if you don't get AAAB it's not the end of the world is all I'm saying.
Don't get me wrong, it's far far better to get in at undergrad and postgrad sounds insanely difficult and yeah, getting in at undergrad is infinitely easier. I just mean that A Levels aren't the be all end all.

I used to work during my frees but I don't any more. :frown: I guess I'll just see how A2s goes... I can't imagine it being that much more work than AS and tbh AS is really bigged up... yeah the work is really hard but actually the workload really isn't as bad as people make out.

REVISE! :p:
Hand cramps, that sounds horrible. :s-smilie: Even when you do it on the comp? TSR has a service where current med students look over our PS if we want them to, btw. :love:
I asked my parents to leave me here while they went to Algeria so I could do volunteer work or whatever, but they wouldn't. I really want to stay in England next summer though, I want to spend it going a bit crazy with friends!

Yeah I guess. Glass half full and all that.

I don't and never did work in frees. I literally took it as a period in which I'm free to do whatever I want, enjoy myself. I'll have to see about A2 as well but from what I've heard there's a lot of people who used be like me but now regularly work in frees. I think that there workload will be as much, or not so much more but the work will be conceptually and technically harder, so I agree with you.

Hah, I'm seriously thinking about getting myself banned by request until the end of exam period so I can revise. Stupid TSR.

And I was taking the piss haha, I just don't know what to write, where to start really. I'll try and get some off people I know who applied successfully this year, and hopefully I'll get some tips from school etc. Oh, another thing for summer, revise for UKCAT and do the UKCAT. BMAT (if I do it) can wait until later of course, but UKCAT has to be done over the summer/september, so I'll have to work at it over the summer.

Do voluntary work IN Algeria? I know its modernizing, but there's sure to be somewhere where you can volunteer?
Reply 1267
What is the Australian healthcare system, actually? I guess you could talk about experiences of it as an 11 year old, but talking about culture would make you really stand out, I think. Makes your personal statement truly personal. :smile:

I'll ask her next time I see her (she never replies to texts/goes on facebook, so it could be about a week before I answer. :colondollar:)

If I'm honest I'm not entirely sure... I wasn't really that interested when I was over there hah (I'd have to ask my parents!).

Thankss :smile:

Okay sure, it's fine still a few months yet before applying!
Original post by liviaaa
I think they do though, as they have so many applicants they may as well offer to the applicants who've already cashed in 4 A's - as it's fact, not a teacher's opinion.

It'd make sense but predicted grades are the main thing... e.g. at SGUL if you 7 As (or something like that, I'm not sure) at GCSE and are predicted AAA you get an interview. With unis that focus on UKCAT I think they mostly look at predicted grades and UKCAT, and so on.

Like I said, I'm not sure, but there's no point feeling too under pressure come June because whatever happens it isn't going to totally kill your application. :dontknow:

I'm definitely going to talk about going in for grommets when I was 5 and 11, and then contracting typhoid last summer. You're correct, makes it personal and much better than the 'I've wanted to be a doctor for as long as I can remember' 'I was deadset on being a doctor at the age of 5' 'In nursery school I always took the role of doctor at playtime' 'I was truly fascinated with the doctor's handling of me as he removed me from the womb' and all those bull**** cliché lines.
Reply 1270
It'd make sense but predicted grades are the main thing... e.g. at SGUL if you 7 As (or something like that, I'm not sure) at GCSE and are predicted AAA you get an interview. With unis that focus on UKCAT I think they mostly look at predicted grades and UKCAT, and so on.

Like I said, I'm not sure, but there's no point feeling too under pressure come June because whatever happens it isn't going to totally kill your application. :dontknow:

To be honest I think cashed in AS and A levels are equally important (though AS if not more) which candidate would you take:

AS cashed: BDE Predicted: AAA

or

AS cashed: AAA Prediced AAB

I'd take the second, as they've proved they can achieve AAA at AS so why not AAA at A2?
Reply 1271
Original post by Straight up G
I'm definitely going to talk about going in for grommets when I was 5 and 11, and then contracting typhoid last summer. You're correct, makes it personal and much better than the 'I've wanted to be a doctor for as long as I can remember' 'I was deadset on being a doctor at the age of 5' 'In nursery school I always took the role of doctor at playtime' 'I was truly fascinated with the doctor's handling of me as he removed me from the womb' and all those bull**** cliché lines.

I went in for grommets too at around age 5 :tongue: (Although in the end I didn't end up needing them.)
Original post by liviaaa
I went in for grommets too at around age 5 :tongue: (Although in the end I didn't end up needing them.)

I dont remember going in at 5, but I definitely needed them. I'm thinking about asking to have them done again.
Hi :smile:,
Im planning on applying for medicine (2012)
Studying biology, maths, chemistry, physics
Got A,B,B,B respectively in jan exams
Resitting B's in the hope of A's in summer, which gives me 9 exams ):

The fact that ive only started revising this week because ive been on placement for a week and seeing how poor of an applicant i look compared to some of you guys is making me loose grip on my glimmer of hope :s-smilie:

Talked to quite a lot of manchester medics, students, F1's and F2's and registrars after i got put off by PBL, alot recommended the uni as a great place but not such a great course. But I LOVE MANCHESTER :biggrin:

What are the chances of me getting in Manchester, Keele, Lancaster or Hull York

Also is anyone sitting OCR biology and if so what coursework grades out of 40 did you get ? Ive just been told i cant retake any of the practicals and only have a grade of 29/40 ):
Original post by EbonyJane
Also is anyone sitting OCR biology and if so what coursework grades out of 40 did you get ? Ive just been told i cant retake any of the practicals and only have a grade of 29/40 ):

My coursework is 28/40 (evaulative was a 10, quant/qualit are 10/8 respectively) although I've still got one qualitative left, so maybe it could be 30, who knows. The point is coursework isn't for everyone, so you just have to work harder in exams. My chemistry coursework is fairly dire too, but my exams make up for it.
Reply 1275
I'm doing Biology, Chemistry, Maths, Business studies (NOT B-TEC) and General Studies.

I'm predicted A, A, A, A, B respectively

I cashed in C, B, AA (i did C1 and M1 in jan), C and B in exams. Respectively

I have got 30/40 in Biology Coursework - No more re-sits
and 30/40 in Chemistry Coursework - doing some more resits

All of the teachers are trying to scare possible medical applicants with the workload and commitment they have to do.
Not really sure if I can get the grades.
I am at one of the top schools in my city and they have a very high success rate with medicine applicants. So i hope i can make it.

Do you think with Uni fee's going up, less people will apply to uni's. And even possible making entry requirements even lower . (lowest i have found is AAB at Keele and Sheffield) ???
Original post by liviaaa

Original post by liviaaa
You did the whole of stats and biology in one day? :eek:

Hahaaa, no! I looked over like half of stats, mainly the areas I had problems with and did a past paper. And I did Biology Unit 2. I've written out all my notes already, so it's mainly just a case of going over them to refresh my mind and then doing past papers.
You grew up in the cutest place ever! I put the little person from google maps down and instantly saw countryside and cows, Scottish stereotype much? :p: So what kind of stuff did you do for funsies through teen years, everyone moans that there's not enough to do in Newcastle let alone the countryside! Was Aberdeen a shock to move to?

That would be really scary. :s-smilie: Does it happen much?!
I didn't realise that clinical lead was the same thing as management, though. I kind of just imagined clinical lead to supervise things + organise meetings and maybe head MDT stuff... do they control finance too?

What kind of issues with blood transport/anesthesia were there? Wouldn't it have made more sense to deal with the issues rather than increasing workload for Raigmore?

Yeah, I can imagine. At least you get to see interesting pathology, I guess. :p:

I may come from the country but I have travelled! Moving to Aberdeen was fine, I'm bored of the bloody countryside :mad:

No they aren't the same thing as management like finance wise. But they would be if the English (proposed) system was implemented. At the moment the managers are based centrally at the hospitals and are mobile to deal with all the areas.

Well the nearest blood bank is 130 miles away from Caithness General and the roads are not the best. Basically you don't want to run the risk of running out. There are anaesthetists there, but not the facilities to cope with numerous complicated pregnancies. It is easier (and cheaper) to make everyone go to Raigmore. Obviously some don't make it (early deliveries etc) and they are dealt with locally. The skills and resources are there to deal with that....but would struggle if there were many at the same time :s-smilie:
Hahah, really? Thanks, I think it's much easier to come across as mature on forums. IRL, I have a really stupid voice that makes me sound like I'm only half-listening and like my head's in the clouds which detracts from any prospective mature-ness :p:

If that's true, the poor interviewers will be so gutted when they meet me and realise I am immature and still make ya ma jokes on a regular basis.

On the topic of interviews, I was thinking the other day: do you think interviewers ever get nervous? I would feel so reassured if they did! :colondollar: How do they even pick interviewers?

Yeah I guess, though it depends what you say :tongue: I tend to ask seemingly stupid questions but really its a good question that is difficult to answer and it just sounds stupid :tongue: just pretend to be mature - it worked for me :biggrin: mere days before the interview i was jumping down flights of stairs in a stair jumping competition with my friend because i refused to lose (which i did in the end and had a sore ankle lol)

I recon they probably do, be funny if their first interview was also your first interview :tongue:
Reply 1279
Original post by oHellno
Hahaaa, no! I looked over like half of stats, mainly the areas I had problems with and did a past paper. And I did Biology Unit 2. I've written out all my notes already, so it's mainly just a case of going over them to refresh my mind and then doing past papers.

Oh I was going to say haha!

Do you find the biology mark schemes overally specific to get a mark? :/

Latest

Trending

Trending