The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

success rate is nearly 10 percent dats peak times 4 ever1...
Reply 1321
Original post by liviaaa
Where did you get the impression that most med schools don't mind resits for A2's? Most of them say on their websites they won't consider re-sit applicants except under extreme circumstances.

Your getting confused with re sitting your whole Alevel. Med schools don't mind if you resit modules as long as you do it within the 2 year. I resat an A2 module and I got 4 interviews and 3 offers. All my friends who applied to med school also did re sits and have offers for medicine.
Also a med school won't even know if you re sat an A2 because you initally apply with your AS grades. As a re applicant you apply with your achieved grades but you don't have to tell them if you re sat any of your modules, as long as you have the over all achieved grade on your certificate your fine.
I want to apply to:

Cambridge
Imperial
Newcastle
Birmingham

Which, given the entry requirements for the above unis, should be fun...

I'm pretty borderline for Birmingham too, with only 8 A* and 5 A at GCSE...
Reply 1323
Original post by Davidragon
I want to apply to:

Cambridge
Imperial
Newcastle
Birmingham

I'm thinking about 3/4 of those above ^. Not Cambridge as I think it's competitive enough with only 4 slotss :/
Reply 1324
Original post by ryan118244
Your getting confused with re sitting your whole Alevel. Med schools don't mind if you resit modules as long as you do it within the 2 year. I resat an A2 module and I got 4 interviews and 3 offers. All my friends who applied to med school also did re sits and have offers for medicine.
Also a med school won't even know if you re sat an A2 because you initally apply with your AS grades. As a re applicant you apply with your achieved grades but you don't have to tell them if you re sat any of your modules, as long as you have the over all achieved grade on your certificate your fine.

Okay. :smile:

My school got rid of January modules though, as they said so many uni's could now start looking at if you've resat.

I think uni's should get to see, as it's not fair if you didn't resit any, but someone gets a place who did.
Original post by liviaaa
I'm thinking about 3/4 of those above ^. Not Cambridge as I think it's competitive enough with only 4 slotss :/

Cambridge would be nice and I feel like I might regret not trying if I didn't apply, but like most applicants I am doubtful of getting in... Oh well, we can only try :|
Original post by oHellno
Haha seriously? From what I've seen AR is awful, QR is slightly better and DA is quite fun lol.

I find DA the easiest xD and the AR is alright if not somewhat obscure.

QR and VR just scare me by throwing loads of data at me in one go >_< (It would be alot easier if there wasn't a 'Can't tell' option :tongue:)
Reply 1327
I want to apply to:

Cambridge
Imperial
Newcastle
Birmingham

Cambridge would be nice and I feel like I might regret not trying if I didn't apply, but like most applicants I am doubtful of getting in... Oh well, we can only try :|

I've heard that Birmingham might be increasing their GCSE cut off to 9A*s??!! Not entirely sure whether this is fact or not.

You should go for Cambridge. Their not as hard as people think. They don't look at GCSEs that much, they interview most of their applicants and they don't care for tonnes of work experience either. They just absolutely love the BMAT, particularly the first 2 sections, they ignore the essay section.

Original post by liviaaa
Okay. :smile:

My school got rid of January modules though, as they said so many uni's could now start looking at if you've resat.

I think uni's should get to see, as it's not fair if you didn't resit any, but someone gets a place who did.

See I never got why schools do that because your more likely to re sit if you do all your exams in the summer.
I went to a college so they have to have jan modules so that they maximise lower end people's chances.

At the end of the day med schools don't even pay attention to alevels that much, as long as you meet the min entry requirements in that area you've ticked the first box.
People who get the offers are the ones with better PSs, GCSEs and interviews.
Which section of the UKCAT is the one with the list of numbers and letters with words/phrases next to them and you have to match them up according to the sequence of numbers/letters they give you in the question?

I LOVE that section :biggrin: :love:
Original post by Quackers93
Yeah I guess, though it depends what you say :tongue: I tend to ask seemingly stupid questions but really its a good question that is difficult to answer and it just sounds stupid :tongue: just pretend to be mature - it worked for me :biggrin: mere days before the interview i was jumping down flights of stairs in a stair jumping competition with my friend because i refused to lose (which i did in the end and had a sore ankle lol)

I recon they probably do, be funny if their first interview was also your first interview :tongue:

I know what you mean. Although for me it's normally the other way... I get asked a smart question and give the answer of a three year old. :colondollar:
Pretend to be mature and pretend to be confident, sounds like a plan.
Hahaha! It's not the winning that counts, innit? :p:
Original post by thegodofgod
Which section of the UKCAT is the one with the list of numbers and letters with words/phrases next to them and you have to match them up according to the sequence of numbers/letters they give you in the question?

I LOVE that section :biggrin: :love:

Decision analysis?
Original post by Straight up G
Yeah I guess. Glass half full and all that.

I don't and never did work in frees. I literally took it as a period in which I'm free to do whatever I want, enjoy myself. I'll have to see about A2 as well but from what I've heard there's a lot of people who used be like me but now regularly work in frees. I think that there workload will be as much, or not so much more but the work will be conceptually and technically harder, so I agree with you.

Hah, I'm seriously thinking about getting myself banned by request until the end of exam period so I can revise. Stupid TSR.

And I was taking the piss haha, I just don't know what to write, where to start really. I'll try and get some off people I know who applied successfully this year, and hopefully I'll get some tips from school etc. Oh, another thing for summer, revise for UKCAT and do the UKCAT. BMAT (if I do it) can wait until later of course, but UKCAT has to be done over the summer/september, so I'll have to work at it over the summer.

Do voluntary work IN Algeria? I know its modernizing, but there's sure to be somewhere where you can volunteer?

I did from September- December. But since then, I just haven't, I don't really know why. Yeah, the work does look much harder at A2 but to me that means revise earlier and harder rather than work harder through the term. I don't want to burn out!

Haha, you could do that. Just deprive yourself of the internet because there are soooo many distracting sites out there!

Sorry, I'm rubbish at getting sarcasm/jokes IRL let alone over TSR. :p: Yeah, that's my plan as well. Plus look at TSRian's personal statements.

I intend to revise for UKCAT but not too intensively because I know that if I do that I'll completely panic come the actual exam. :frown: My plan is to read the 600Q book then just do as many past ones/IQ tests on the internet as possible... and maybe GCSE maths papers like someone on here suggested.

Hmmm, maybe. I should find out what kind of services there are in Algeria. But the thing is I might spend a few days doing work exp, we're spending some time at the beach then it's fasting and I need to see family. A month is way too short :s-smilie:
Original post by liviaaa
To be honest I think cashed in AS and A levels are equally important (though AS if not more) which candidate would you take:

AS cashed: BDE Predicted: AAA

or

AS cashed: AAA Prediced AAB

I'd take the second, as they've proved they can achieve AAA at AS so why not AAA at A2?

On medical school websites (I've looked at Manc and SGUL) AS grades aren't mentioned but it says applicants should be predicted AAA so tbh the person with BDE might be at a disadvantage at worst, but it shouldn't hold them back too much...

Honestly, I don't know, I'm going off what I've heard on here and what websites say (well, more like don't) say.
Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope
I may come from the country but I have travelled! Moving to Aberdeen was fine, I'm bored of the bloody countryside :mad:

No they aren't the same thing as management like finance wise. But they would be if the English (proposed) system was implemented. At the moment the managers are based centrally at the hospitals and are mobile to deal with all the areas.

Well the nearest blood bank is 130 miles away from Caithness General and the roads are not the best. Basically you don't want to run the risk of running out. There are anaesthetists there, but not the facilities to cope with numerous complicated pregnancies. It is easier (and cheaper) to make everyone go to Raigmore. Obviously some don't make it (early deliveries etc) and they are dealt with locally. The skills and resources are there to deal with that....but would struggle if there were many at the same time :s-smilie:

Yeah but travelling isn't the same as living somewhere... like, I dunno, I thought communities were more friendly in rural areas and stuff. :p:

Oh, right, makes sense. So what exactly do they managers do? I mean, mobile to deal with the whole area sounds like a massive responsibility!

130 miles. :eek: What they did makes sense, in that case, but poor women who have early as well as complicated deliveries!
Original post by liviaaa
If I'm honest I'm not entirely sure... I wasn't really that interested when I was over there hah (I'd have to ask my parents!).

Thankss :smile:

Okay sure, it's fine still a few months yet before applying!

Lol, fair enough. You're still alive so it can't have been that horrendous. :p:
Got most of my prospectuses, now I just have to read them all :P. It's sort of daunting though because it makes everything seem a lot closer than it should be.
Original post by Unbiased Opinion
Decision analysis?

yup, that's the one :love:
I ve started preparation for the UKCAT - does anyone know if the 600 UKCAT book is any good? or if someone good recommend any better book that would be great too :smile:
Reply 1338
How much revision have people done for AS so far? Exams are looming, and I've done very little :\
But the IPL is on TV tempting me :frown:
Original post by HoneyDew24
I ve started preparation for the UKCAT - does anyone know if the 600 UKCAT book is any good? or if someone good recommend any better book that would be great too :smile:

The 600 question book is by far the best one, although is harder than the actual exam so don't fret too much if it's hard.

Original post by as_94
How much revision have people done for AS so far? Exams are looming, and I've done very little :\
But the IPL is on TV tempting me :frown:

I've done.. none. I procrastinate far too much. :s-smilie:

Latest

Trending

Trending