The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1540
Original post by Davidragon
Competition doesn't matter when you know your child is obviously more talented/intelligent/skilled/hard working/charismatic/caring/(what ever else unis want you to be for medicine) than everyone else.

Yeah but that's what annoys me about my parents - get into reality!! Haha.
Reply 1541
Original post by Unbiased Opinion
Really? :eek: Everyone I know has heard back now. Poor them!

Idk actually... I think they do, but they also think I'll get in, also because I'm their daughter. :p: But I think they realised how competitive even getting work exp is so that might have been an indication of applying to uni. It doesn't help that the three family friends we know who have applied to uni for med have had 2+ offers. :cry:

I know.. I read on here the other day someone has an interview in a week or so!!

Awhh no, good luck! My parents only know one boy who's applied with 2 offers, so for them it's 100% success rate - which doesn't help haha.
Reply 1542
Apparently artistic people do tend to be good at maths. :smile:
True, but then London is the centre of everything and I feel like I want to be there. But then Manc apparently has everything except a beach so that's good. :smile:

Really? Wow, I didn't realise London was that bad! Haha, that sounds like a good plan tbh, best of both worlds.

I know what you mean, but I'm not a very organised person. :cry: I know, that extra expensiveness sucks. But I'm away for the vast majority of August... tbh I don't even know if I'm here for results day, so I can't do it then. When I get back I have some work exp to do so I want to focus on that more than UKCAT, y'know?

Oh really? Cool :smile:

Yes I love Manc for shopping, we're 50 mins from there.

Yupp exactly!

Yeahh well whatever works for you. :smile: I'm organised-ish.. when I want to be hah!
Hey! I'm new :smile: My parents are exactly the same, I keep trying to explain how hard it is to get in but they don't understand! Where are you guys thinking of applying?
Has anyone else read the PS' on the TSR wiki?

They're so cringy
Reply 1545
Original post by lesetoiles
Hey! I'm new :smile: My parents are exactly the same, I keep trying to explain how hard it is to get in but they don't understand! Where are you guys thinking of applying?

Glad someone agress. :tongue:

Nottingham
Birmingham (can't make my mind up due to no. of A* at GCSE)
NewCastle
Sheffield

The last 2 depend on my UKCAT - you?
Original post by liviaaa
HongKong is to break the journey to Aus. Aus cos my parents fancied it. :tongue:

Hmmm.. it may be nice. GCSE results day was horrible. I spent the first bit being "happy" with my friends, went out to the car park and burst into tears haha, :') (I'm such a perfectionist, people get annoyed when I tell them I cried, haha.)

Buuttttt you could sayy.. Becaause I was doing work experience on the open day :wink:

Ohh I really like the idea of Manc, but not PBL :/ L'pool accent is annoying, haha. Yes I agree, it'll be so much fun!

Figures, the journey to Australia is like 24 hours isn't it?

Awwww. :frown: Good results/bad results is all relative. Good thing is your results are good enough for most, if not all, unis :smile:

Haha, that's ingenious! But open days are on a few different days. :frown:

Everyone says that but I've never heard the L'pudlian accent afaik! I'm gonna have to Youtube it. :p:
Original post by liviaaa
I know.. I read on here the other day someone has an interview in a week or so!!

Awhh no, good luck! My parents only know one boy who's applied with 2 offers, so for them it's 100% success rate - which doesn't help haha.

Oooh, well, better late than never I guess. :p:

Lol, parents can never understand how competitive things have become since they were at school... everything is so crazy these days. :s-smilie:
Reply 1548
Original post by liviaaa
Glad someone agress. :tongue:

Nottingham
Birmingham (can't make my mind up due to no. of A* at GCSE)
NewCastle
Sheffield

The last 2 depend on my UKCAT - you?

good choice!
Original post by liviaaa
Oh really? Cool :smile:

Yes I love Manc for shopping, we're 50 mins from there.

Yupp exactly!

Yeahh well whatever works for you. :smile: I'm organised-ish.. when I want to be hah!

Yeah, it makes sense because artists understand the maths of what appeals to us visually, if that makes sense. Stuff like fractals and the patterns of nature are quite common in art and sometimes artists don't even realise they're doing it, it's just what makes them good artists.

I've been once and the Trafford Shopping Centre (I think that's what it's called) is amazing. :smile: Plus curry mile, hell yes!

Organisation is a good skill to have, I'm working on it! :p:
Reply 1550
Figures, the journey to Australia is like 24 hours isn't it?

Awwww. :frown: Good results/bad results is all relative. Good thing is your results are good enough for most, if not all, unis :smile:

Haha, that's ingenious! But open days are on a few different days. :frown:

Everyone says that but I've never heard the L'pudlian accent afaik! I'm gonna have to Youtube it. :p:

Yup :/ Can't wait...

Yeah, perhaps except Brum, which initially was my fav. :frown:

Hahahaaa go for it! Some of my family are from near there.
I've got about six that I need to cut down to four!
Imperial, UCL, Kings, Barts, B'ham and Sheffield. I think :P
I visited UCL and Barts today and really liked them both, especially UCL! I don't want to be over ambitious though..
How many A*s do you have at GCSE? :smile:
Reply 1552
Oooh, well, better late than never I guess. :p:

Lol, parents can never understand how competitive things have become since they were at school... everything is so crazy these days. :s-smilie:

Yes I agree! Same with all the doctors you talk to on work exp..
Reply 1553
Original post by lesetoiles
I've got about six that I need to cut down to four!
Imperial, UCL, Kings, Barts, B'ham and Sheffield. I think :P
I visited UCL and Barts today and really liked them both, especially UCL! I don't want to be over ambitious though..
How many A*s do you have at GCSE? :smile:

What subjects do you take? UCL like a contrasting arts subject!

B'ham want at least 7A*, though apparently the majority accepted have 10 or more.

Also bare in mind your UKCAT - Sheffeild have a high cut off.

Hopefully that helps you narrow down. ^ :smile:
Original post by liviaaa
Yup :/ Can't wait...

Yeah, perhaps except Brum, which initially was my fav. :frown:

Hahahaaa go for it! Some of my family are from near there.

Is 8A*s not enough for Brum? :eek: Whoa.

I just youtubed it, the leader of a drama thing I went to had a scouse accent. I think the accent gets undeserved hatred, it's not that bad. :p:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjWXen-Niqc

This is the most annoying accent I've heard... but the girl is hilarious.
Reply 1555
Yeah, it makes sense because artists understand the maths of what appeals to us visually, if that makes sense. Stuff like fractals and the patterns of nature are quite common in art and sometimes artists don't even realise they're doing it, it's just what makes them good artists.

I've been once and the Trafford Shopping Centre (I think that's what it's called) is amazing. :smile: Plus curry mile, hell yes!

Organisation is a good skill to have, I'm working on it! :p:

Oh okay interesting :smile:

Yes it's the Trafford Centre! I love it, haha.

Haha, well you seem to have coped well so far so what ever your doing seems to be doing the job. :P
Original post by liviaaa
and not to do with history etcc. :smile:

LOLZ!

I hate anything to do with history as well :yy:
Original post by liviaaa
I knowww how crazzzzy! Then again some people still haven't heard from this year still...

Do your parents understand how competitive medicine is? My parents seem to think me being their daughter that why wouldn't I get in? It's so annoyinggggg... I keep telling me they don't understand the competition and they're so bias! :mad:

My mum thinks that too :frown: She wants me to go to Oxford/Cambridge, because she wants me to go to a good university so I could have a good job. Trying to explain that you don't need to go to those two to become a doctor to her was almost suicidal. Stubborn Chinese parents :mad:
Original post by liviaaa
Yes I agree! Same with all the doctors you talk to on work exp..

I've only done one set of work exp and the only doctor I met had a son who was a first year med student so I think he was more understanding than a lot of docs. :smile:
Reply 1559
Is 8A*s not enough for Brum? :eek: Whoa.

I just youtubed it, the leader of a drama thing I went to had a scouse accent. I think the accent gets undeserved hatred, it's not that bad. :p:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjWXen-Niqc

This is the most annoying accent I've heard... but the girl is hilarious.

Well the prospectus says 7A*, but apparently who they accept is 10 A* or more. :/

That girl doesn't have a strong accent, you should hear others. :tongue:
(edited 13 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending