The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by liviaaa
What subjects do you take? UCL like a contrasting arts subject!

B'ham want at least 7A*, though apparently the majority accepted have 10 or more.

Also bare in mind your UKCAT - Sheffeild have a high cut off.

Hopefully that helps you narrow down. ^ :smile:

I take biology, chemistry, maths and french :smile:
B'ham are GCSE nazis, it's true. It's tough, because some people just peak a little later.
Yeah, I think Sheffield's the one I'm least likely to apply to, their cut off was something ridiculous like 712 this year I think :/
I know someone at Nottingham doing medicine and they love it, by the way! So good choice :smile:
What subjects do you take?
Reply 1561
Original post by Unbiased Opinion
I've only done one set of work exp and the only doctor I met had a son who was a first year med student so I think he was more understanding than a lot of docs. :smile:

Oh I bet that was a good person to talk to. :smile:
Original post by liviaaa
Not a fan of geog either. :P

Yes I agree! Especially the Group 2 and Halogens topics - so many equations to learn!!

Halogens is long and very equationy :frown:

Group 2 on the other hand is very short and hardly any equations to learn - just reactivity trends in Group 2 hydroxides and sulfates - nothing difficult really

Hess cycles are a pain in the ass though :cry:
Original post by liviaaa
Oh okay interesting :smile:

Yes it's the Trafford Centre! I love it, haha.

Haha, well you seem to have coped well so far so what ever your doing seems to be doing the job. :P

It is, our school makes us to enhancements and one of the ones I do is science and we had a discussion thing about this, it was pretty interesting. :smile:

It's decently priced as well. :smile: I really hope I get a high enough UKCAT for Manc!

I dunno, I guess it's because I get easily excited and interested by things, makes up for lack of organisation. :p:
Reply 1564
Original post by lesetoiles
B'ham are GCSE nazis, it's true. It's tough, because some people just peak a little later.
Yeah, I think Sheffield's the one I'm least likely to apply to, their cut off was something ridiculous like 712 this year I think :/
I know someone at Nottingham doing medicine and they love it, by the way! So good choice :smile:

Yeah I agree.

Yes, but then again some people have to have that high inorder for them to accept anyone - why not any one on here? :smile:

Oh okay, great - thanks!

Maths, Bio, Chem and Psychology.

Nice choices!

I do German instead of French :tongue:

UCL would be a good place to apply to, although the BMAT sounds scary :s-smilie:
For me it's Peninsula, UEA, Keele and Cardiff. I'd love to to Cardiff.
Original post by liviaaa
Well the prospectus says 7A*, but apparently who they accept is 10 A* or more. :/

That girl doesn't have a strong accent, you should hear others. :tongue:

Seriously? :eek: I didn't realise enough people got 10A*S!

Haha, I guess it's her accent coupled with the annoying stuff she's actually saying that results in frustration to the max. :p:
liviaaa
Do your parents understand how competitive medicine is? My parents seem to think me being their daughter that why wouldn't I get in? It's so annoyinggggg... I keep telling me they don't understand the competition and they're so bias!

Original post by Evanesyne
My mum thinks that too :frown: She wants me to go to Oxford/Cambridge, because she wants me to go to a good university so I could have a good job. Trying to explain that you don't need to go to those two to become a doctor to her was almost suicidal. Stubborn Chinese parents :mad:

Haha this! They know that it's ridiculously competitive, but they seem to think that just because I go to a good school and my GCSEs went well that I'm guaranteed a place. :erm: If only. :rolleyes:
Reply 1569
Original post by Unbiased Opinion
It is, our school makes us to enhancements and one of the ones I do is science and we had a discussion thing about this, it was pretty interesting. :smile:

It's decently priced as well. :smile: I really hope I get a high enough UKCAT for Manc!

I dunno, I guess it's because I get easily excited and interested by things, makes up for lack of organisation. :p:

Oh cool!

Tbh I haven't looked at any of the prices etc.. all I know is that London is the most expensive!!

Hahaa maybe :smile: I take it you havent started much revision yet then?
Original post by liviaaa
Well the prospectus says 7A*, but apparently who they accept is 10 A* or more. :/

That girl doesn't have a strong accent, you should hear others. :tongue:

This annoys me so much. Can't they just keep it to 7?! :mad2:
Reply 1571
Original post by oHellno
Haha this! They know that it's ridiculously competitive, but they seem to think that just because I go to a good school and my GCSEs went well that I'm guaranteed a place. :erm: If only. :rolleyes:

Yeah :/ And the good school can often count against you.
Original post by Evanesyne
My mum thinks that too :frown: She wants me to go to Oxford/Cambridge, because she wants me to go to a good university so I could have a good job. Trying to explain that you don't need to go to those two to become a doctor to her was almost suicidal. Stubborn Chinese parents :mad:

I so understand your problem - my parents are Indian :redface:

They (and everybody else they know -.-) want me to apply to all London universities - they just don't understand how competitive university admissions in general have become, let alone Medical applications :frown:

Keele Medical School alone this year had over 2000 applications for 130 odd places (but that's probably due to sudden increase in tuition fees) :cry:
Original post by thegodofgod
Nice choices!

I do German instead of French :tongue:

UCL would be a good place to apply to, although the BMAT sounds scary :s-smilie:

Thanks!
Ah, I dropped German yeaaars ago. It's so difficult! I adore languages though, especially French :smile:

I know! I'm really worried about the BMAT too. The problem is, I love Imperial and UCL.. but two BMAT unis is probably too risky. Gahhh, I hate decisions! Luckily we have a while to decide :smile:

Where do you want to apply?
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by liviaaa
Oh I bet that was a good person to talk to. :smile:

He really was, I loved my work exp. Like, I ended up spending quite a bit of time with him so we had time for the occasional chat which was really nice. :smile: He gave me some sheets on applying to med school and what makes a good candidate and past questions and stuff. My work exp was really amazingly useful, I spent the whole time with medical staff. :smile: And he gave me his email address and seemed genuinely interested about whether or not I'd get in, I was pleasantly surprised that he seemed to actually... you know, be bothered about some 16 yo that added to his workload for a few days. Oh, and initially the work exp was only meant to be 1/2 days but he let me go for a week, but he was also like "but you need to enjoy your half term!" so I only did half days.
Reply 1575
Original post by oHellno
This annoys me so much. Can't they just keep it to 7?! :mad2:

Well that's their official number on the prospectus, so we can't complain yet.. I feel sorry for people about 5 years down the line

"We only interview candidates with 15 A* at GCSE. You must have at least 3 years work experience at 10 different places. You must be predicted 9 A* at A 2 Level and you must at least play 6 muscial instruments (to grade 8+ standard), play 13 different sports (to at least county level) and have a UKCAT score of 899...

Please note... just because you have all these does not mean you will get an interview."

*Sigh*
Thanks! Where do you want to apply?

I know! I'm really worried about the BMAT too. The problem is, I love Imperial and UCL.. but two BMAT unis is probably too risky. Gahhh, I hate decisions! Luckily we have a while do decide :smile:

UCL seem to be really picky about their entry requirements, BMAT, contrasting A level, no resits and a foreign language GCSE if I remember correctly. The BMAT is a big issue as you only know the result after applying, but at least it's easier to revise for that the UKCAT. Good luck wherever you choose.
Thanks! Where do you want to apply?

I know! I'm really worried about the BMAT too. The problem is, I love Imperial and UCL.. but two BMAT unis is probably too risky. Gahhh, I hate decisions! Luckily we have a while do decide :smile:

:crossedfingers:

I'm probably going to apply to UCL, Keele, Newcastle, Leicester for Medicine, and there's this really cool course at Manchester for the 5th choice: Human Biology and German - I could apply form GEM, but that's even worse in terms of the applicant : places ratio :cry:

EDIT: I did both French and German upto GCSE and then dropped French for AS - but yeah, languages are reallllly cool :cool:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by liviaaa
Yeah I agree.

Yes, but then again some people have to have that high inorder for them to accept anyone - why not any one on here? :smile:

Oh okay, great - thanks!

Maths, Bio, Chem and Psychology.

Yeah, it must be just as hard to them to decide as it is for us to apply, I totally get why cut offs etc are so high! It's just scary for us :P
Original post by liviaaa
Oh cool!

Tbh I haven't looked at any of the prices etc.. all I know is that London is the most expensive!!

Hahaa maybe :smile: I take it you havent started much revision yet then?

The prices at Manchester seemed the same as here is Ncl so I was pretty happy. :smile:

I've been reading over things so that I feel less panicked about the prospect of having to memorise the stuff, but I haven't done past papers or started solid revision. It will start soon though. :biggrin: I only have unit 2 exams though.

Latest

Trending

Trending