The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Joseppea
Yeah we have to do General Studies at our college. T_T They openly admitted that it's just so they get more funding xD

But hey, we only have 40 minutes of it a week. :cool:

Ahh - we have 1hr 15 mins of CT per week - but the teacher's somewhat cool + half the lesson we spend watching cool youtube videos :shifty:
There are YouTube videos in the powerpoints we have to watch... no matter how cool they are, my teacher won't less us watch them -.-
Original post by liviaaa
I do AQA for both - not everyone does though. :smile:

Original post by thegodofgod
I do:

AQA Biology
AQA Chemistry
Edexcel German
Edexcel Mathematics
OCR Critical Thinking

Cool. Hows revision for biology and chemistry going?

What you guys expecting in the Unit 2 exam for biology? usually only a few of the topics come up
For chemistry I think everything will come up, lots of calculations for enthalpy.

I still have to start revising properly though.
Original post by nasira372

What you guys expecting in the Unit 2 exam for biology? usually only a few of the topics come up
For chemistry I think everything will come up, lots of calculations for enthalpy.

Nasira, I have to start revising, full stop. :tongue:

Haven't looked at any past papers whatsoever, although I have a really strange (and possibly misleading) feeling that something to do with Amino Acid structure (chemical structure) might come up :s-smilie:
Reply 1784
Original post by nasira372

I'm not sure what to expect - so I'll just revise it all. :tongue:

I wasn't sure if calculations for enthalpy would come up that much, as it was our ISA?
Almost 2 hours solid of history revision :yawn:
Original post by liviaaa

I wasn't sure if calculations for enthalpy would come up that much, as it was our ISA?

We had an EMPA - a titration practical, with loads of calculations in the written paper of Unit 3 :s-smilie:

We had an EMPA - a titration practical, with loads of calculations in the written paper of Unit 3 :s-smilie:

I'm only on AQA for biology and we do the ISAs, but what are EMPAs? I've keep hearing the name and don't know the difference lol
Original post by oHellno
I'm only on AQA for biology and we do the ISAs, but what are EMPAs? I've keep hearing the name and don't know the difference lol

ISAs (Investigative Skills Assessment) are internally marked, then externally moderated, whereas EMPAs (Externally Marked Practical Assignment) are for "lazy teachers" (my own Chemistry teacher said this), who can't be bothered to mark anything, and they pay the exam board (AQA) to mark/moderated them themselves.
sake, didn't even know this thread existed. anyone a re-applicant after being unsuccessful this year?
Reply 1790
Original post by Davidragon
Wannabe Cambridge applicant currently.
I need to change my personality within the next two years though >.>

I nerd out to 4 sciences (maths included as a science) for A level :rolleyes: + GS + EPQ

Unfortunately my GCSEs won't make me competitive enough for Oxford so Cambridge it is (hopefully :colondollar:)

90% above seems like the standard but since my first AS biology was 2% above that the next one seems pretteh scary o.o

Oh, and there's the first mechanics paper... ¬_¬

hahah! i do epq too. what you doing it on?
and yeah im the kind of person that does **** all during the year and then crams the night before the exam. little bit like what im supposed to be doing right now for my physics mock tomorrow.
what gcse's did you get?
im looking at cambridge because they look at the as grades more heavily than the bmat and im nervous about the essay part on the bmat because i am awful at writing essays!
do you mean mechanics maths or physics??
AQA Biology Unit 2 papers are so long :bored:
Nasira, I have to start revising, full stop. :tongue:

Haven't looked at any past papers whatsoever, although I have a really strange (and possibly misleading) feeling that something to do with Amino Acid structure (chemical structure) might come up :s-smilie:

Don't do any past papers till the last week is what I will do. Just revise as much as I can then do past papers for a whole week so I can do the exam techniques. This should work for biology and chemistry

For maths I revised for 1 week then did past papers and will continue to do so till the exams. For maths its just practice, practice, practice.

I need 4As so badly. I got BBCD in Jan :frown:

For both Bs, I was 2 UMS off an A so not retaking those to modules. Hopefully going to just get 82 in the next exams so they are both overall A.

The C and D were in biology and Chemistry (Bad I know :colondollar:) so im retaking those. Total exams are 7 (5new 2retakes) FML
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by liviaaa

I think that would be best.

It wasnt in our ISA, ours was the titration. I'm guessing you did 2, one titration and one for enthalpy change.

Still though, there are quiet a lot of different questions on enthalpy so I wouldnt rule it out. Enthalpy of formation, enthalpy of combustion, mean bond enthalpies and so on....

I still havent opened my chemistry book, it shall stay in my bag
Original post by oHellno
AQA Biology Unit 2 papers are so long :bored:

Chemistry as well :eek:

100 raw marks, 140 UMS :cry:

Chemistry as well :eek:

100 raw marks, 140 UMS :cry:

Edexcel Chemistry is great, 80 raw marks, i think 120 UMS and the exam is the same length as Unit 1 :biggrin:
Original post by oHellno
Edexcel Chemistry is great, 80 raw marks, i think 120 UMS and the exam is the same length as Unit 1 :biggrin:

*Begs school to switch to Edexcel* :top:
ocr chemistry is quite good. There is one really short paper (60 marks) which is 90 UMS and one longer paper (100 marks) which is worth 50%!
anyone on the leicester hospitals work observation course??

why neg?
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by chelseaelder
sake, didn't even know this thread existed. anyone a re-applicant after being unsuccessful this year?

Welcome! Lol I'm a reapplicant :smile: there are a few of us on this thread :tongue: by asking that question I guess you too are a reapplicant? If so where'd you apply :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending