The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by maemg
Will this years cycle be any less harsh than last years, because last year no-one wanted to take a gap year due to the tuition fees, and this year we don't really have a choice so gap year numbers will go back to normal??

Probably about the same, seeing as although applicants (should hopefully) drop, there's going to be fewer places at medical schools this year.
Reply 2021
Original post by Normandy114
Probably about the same, seeing as although applicants (should hopefully) drop, there's going to be fewer places at medical schools this year.

why will there be fewer places???!
Original post by maemg
why will there be fewer places???!

Not entirely sure why, I think it's due to some medical students being unable to get F1 posts due to over-subscription of the courses.
Reply 2023
Original post by dominiqueblack
Just wanted to say good luck to everyone! :smile:
If anyone wants any help or advice or anything, I'd be happy to try and help! :smile:

I second that.

where'd you read that?
Reply 2025
Not entirely sure why, I think it's due to some medical students being unable to get F1 posts due to over-subscription of the courses.

Hmmm.... where did you hear this ?
Original post by maemg

that's no news

http://student.bmj.com/student/view-article.html?id=sbmj.c6314

It is news that they'd actually try and do something about it
Original post by maemg

Original post by SteveCrain
where'd you read that?

Can't remember where for either, it could be wrong but it's just from bits of information I've picked up from places.
I hope that isn't truee.. :O
getting into medicine seems hard enough as it is...

It's like one massive ironic joke. The NHS is short of doctors and yet the battle for places at med school is crazy. Yeah I appreciate that shortage of docs is down to funding rather than shortage of supply, but still. They're not fixing the root of the problem by doing this, just cutting off the diseased leaves to make the plant look prettier for the time being. :s-smilie:
Can't remember where for either, it could be wrong but it's just from bits of information I've picked up from places.

maemg

SteveCrain

AwesomeAkhilesh

BMJ confirms... for Scotland at least.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 2031
that's no news

http://student.bmj.com/student/view-article.html?id=sbmj.c6314

It is news that they'd actually try and do something about it

Maybe its because i'm not signed into the bmj website that i cant read the rest of the article but it doesn't say that they are reducing the number of undergraduate uni places they only say- " If applicants outnumber foundation programme posts, the top applicants will be matched" .
Original post by maemg
Maybe its because i'm not signed into the bmj website that i cant read the rest of the article but it doesn't say that they are reducing the number of undergraduate uni places they only say- " If applicants outnumber foundation programme posts, the top applicants will be matched" .

yeh; if you look back to what you quoted, it was the reason why they're supposedly reducing places- "because there aren't enough F1 jobs".

You said, "where did you read that", so I posted.

I haven't heard about reduced number of places either. Maybe Normandy is trying to scare people away.
Reply 2033
yeh; if you look back to what you quoted, it was the reason why they're supposedly reducing places- "because there aren't enough F1 jobs".

You said, "where did you read that", so I posted.

I haven't heard about reduced number of places either. Maybe Normandy is trying to scare people away.

That doesn't mean they're going to solve the problem by cutting the number of undergrad uni places . haha maybe he is, the scottish bmj article is pretty solid though :biggrin:
Maybe Normandy is trying to scare people away.

Oh no, you caught on to my seemingly perfect tactic to reduce competition.

But seriously, I think it was one of my teachers that mentioned it, and also you can see the BMJ article Unbiased Opinion posted about them wanting to cut Scottish medical school places.

But seriously, I think it was one of my teachers that mentioned it, and also you can see the BMJ article Unbiased Opinion posted about them wanting to cut Scottish medical school places.

Yeah the BMA want the number of undergrad places cut. But The SNP seem set to keep the number of places...something about wanting Scotland to be seen as accessible by all :tongue:

They are warning of a backlog at junior doctor level...but strangely enough when it comes to getting an F1 post, there are less applicants than places (well there have been the past 10 years) to Scottish NHS trusts, compared to for instance London where it is a lot more competitive.
Original post by JChoudhry
Got any tips? :smile:

Read carefully through da ocr bio book that you have and try to read as many other books as possible..i prefer to understand rather than learn things mostly..so when you think you've got it in your head,try doing past papers..or you can try some pastpaper before reading other books so that you would know which topics you need to focus on

I bet the tuition fees rise is one big lie orchestrated by you as well. :grr:
Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope
Yeah the BMA want the number of undergrad places cut. But The SNP seem set to keep the number of places...something about wanting Scotland to be seen as accessible by all :tongue:

They are warning of a backlog at junior doctor level...but strangely enough when it comes to getting an F1 post, there are less applicants than places (well there have been the past 10 years) to Scottish NHS trusts, compared to for instance London where it is a lot more competitive.

Do Scot med students tend to apply for English trusts for training or do English students avoid Scotland... or can you not transfer from Scotland to England at all? :s-smilie: Why the deviation from the more-applicants-than-places trend?
Original post by Unbiased Opinion
Do Scot med students tend to apply for English trusts for training or do English students avoid Scotland... or can you not transfer from Scotland to England at all? :s-smilie: Why the deviation from the more-applicants-than-places trend?

Of course you can transfer! We're not that tribal...:tongue: I've no idea, I imagine it is a combination of lots of factors, after all probably only half of Scottish med students are from Scotland. Lots are from England, Wales and Northern Ireland and some naturally want to return home. It's strange because Scottish trusts have a higher than average percentage of people staying all the way from F1 to consultant (we're so nice :biggrin:)

One of our lecturers is halfway through a 10 year study to find out about Scottish graduates' career ambitions...and how those turn out in reality. He tells us all about these demographic differences.

Latest

Trending

Trending