The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Quackers93
Welcome! Lol I'm a reapplicant :smile: there are a few of us on this thread :tongue: by asking that question I guess you too are a reapplicant? If so where'd you apply :smile:

Just to Dundee for the pre-medical year, rejected after interview :/
Original post by chelseaelder
Just to Dundee for the pre-medical year, rejected after interview :/

Bummer :frown: guess you're reapplying then? :smile: If so, are you gonna reapply for the pre-medical year or apply to go straight into it?
Bummer :frown: guess you're reapplying then? :smile: If so, are you gonna reapply for the pre-medical year or apply to go straight into it?

Well I'm applying to go straight into it but I'll only be able to get a conditional offer because I won't have the results of my science Highers yet. I'll be sitting them May 2012
Original post by chelseaelder
Well I'm applying to go straight into it but I'll only be able to get a conditional offer because I won't have the results of my science Highers yet. I'll be sitting them May 2012

Ah cool :smile: I wonder what the ratio is of people without highers or with AS levels is to those applying with highers/ full A levels :tongue:
Ah cool :smile: I wonder what the ratio is of people without highers or with AS levels is to those applying with highers/ full A levels :tongue:

I'm not sure. But I already have Highers, I have 5 and am sitting 2 this year along with 2 advanced Highers. But I have to go to college next year to do more because I don't have the right subjects.
Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope
Of course you can transfer! We're not that tribal...:tongue: I've no idea, I imagine it is a combination of lots of factors, after all probably only half of Scottish med students are from Scotland. Lots are from England, Wales and Northern Ireland and some naturally want to return home. It's strange because Scottish trusts have a higher than average percentage of people staying all the way from F1 to consultant (we're so nice :biggrin:)

One of our lecturers is halfway through a 10 year study to find out about Scottish graduates' career ambitions...and how those turn out in reality. He tells us all about these demographic differences.

You may not be tribal but you guys have the habitat of the arctic. :teehee:

Awww, that's sweet. To be honest from what you've said Scottish NHS sounds really interesting. And the Scottish accent is sexy/cute/auditorily pleasing etc.... not that I'll be making uni decisions on such factors. :ninja:
In all seriousness, has the lecturer mentioned why it is that Scots stick around the trusts for the longest?
Original post by thegodofgod
Plus, since I'm Indian, my mum gets more worried / stressed out because of these exams than me :redface:

Haha, I guess that's a good thing?

My mum says she gets really worried around me because after every exam I make it clear that I've failed and will have to resit.
Original post by Unbiased Opinion
BMJ confirms... for Scotland at least.

Lets just hope they put off the cuts for another few years in england..after this whole tuition fees malarky I think we all need a break :redface:

Just out of curiosity..how many people are thinking of applying to a London uni? Quote me if u are plz so I don't ignore ur post :smile:
Original post by AwesomeAkhilesh
Lets just hope they put off the cuts for another few years in england..after this whole tuition fees malarky I think we all need a break :redface:

Just out of curiosity..how many people are thinking of applying to a London uni? Quote me if u are plz so I don't ignore ur post :smile:

Me too, and I can't find anything through the omniscient google about England so hopefully it's not happening here.
Haha, I know... potentially £100k debt apparently for people who go to London unis apparently!

I'm considering Barts but tbh I doubt I'll apply... their PBL doesn't seem as... well, pure PBL as I'd like. I might also apply to SGUL... but then the uni only does medical related courses so there'd be no non medics which I find sort of offputting. My ideal uni choices would be:

Manchester.
Liverpool.
Glasgow.
UEA.

But half of that list depends on a good UKCAT. :cry:

What your ideal uni choice list be? :smile:

UCL or Kings, only applying to one London university, to lower the risk of getting 4 rejections by somewhat, although right now I feel as if I'm going to get 4 rejections either way :cry:

If my UKCAT is high (720+) I'll go for Kings, if not, UCL. Hopefully the BMAT exam won't screw me over :redface:
Me too, and I can't find anything through the omniscient google about England so hopefully it's not happening here.
Haha, I know... potentially £100k debt apparently for people who go to London unis apparently!

I'm considering Barts but tbh I doubt I'll apply... their PBL doesn't seem as... well, pure PBL as I'd like. I might also apply to SGUL... but then the uni only does medical related courses so there'd be no non medics which I find sort of offputting. My ideal uni choices would be:

Manchester.
Liverpool.
Glasgow.
UEA.

But half of that list depends on a good UKCAT. :cry:

What your ideal uni choice list be? :smile:

I dont really mind about the whole PBL/lecture-based division....or the debt... :tongue:

if my UKCAT score is above 700:

KCL
Barts and the London
St.Georges
Leicester

if my UKCAT score is below 700 but above 650:

Barts and the London
St.Georges
Leicester (or maybe somewhere like HYMS)
UEA :cool:

I'm yet to go on open day events but after them and getting our AS and UKCAT results I should be pretty clear which list to pick :tongue:
Just NEEEED a great UKCAT. lol :smile:
UCL or Kings, only applying to one London university, to lower the risk of getting 4 rejections by somewhat, although right now I feel as if I'm going to get 4 rejections either way :cry:

If my UKCAT is high (720+) I'll go for Kings, if not, UCL. Hopefully the BMAT exam won't screw me over :redface:

haha,same for me for KCL.

ceeb to do the BMAT. :tongue:
You may not be tribal but you guys have the habitat of the arctic. :teehee:

Awww, that's sweet. To be honest from what you've said Scottish NHS sounds really interesting. And the Scottish accent is sexy/cute/auditorily pleasing etc.... not that I'll be making uni decisions on such factors. :ninja:
In all seriousness, has the lecturer mentioned why it is that Scots stick around the trusts for the longest?

Meh, there are colder places :tongue: Auditorily pleasing? Hope for me yet....

It's due to how they are run. They tend to have less bottlenecks in training. Plus the fact that people like to live in Scotland generally, places like Aberdeenshire have one of the highest quality of life in the UK. There are lots of little differences between countries, in terms of efficiencies. Big hospitals like the ARI don't have a shortage of beds (we actually have too many which leads to it's own problems) etc

It's due to how they are run. They tend to have less bottlenecks in training. Plus the fact that people like to live in Scotland generally, places like Aberdeenshire have one of the highest quality of life in the UK. There are lots of little differences between countries, in terms of efficiencies. Big hospitals like the ARI don't have a shortage of beds (we actually have too many which leads to it's own problems) etc

:eek: Send some over to the London hospitals :ninja:
:eek: Send some over to the London hospitals :ninja:

Yep, I was shadowing on geriatrics a few months ago and there were 15 empty beds :tongue: It is a problem because they get moved around and then nobody knows what the ward capacities are :rolleyes:

Whoever decided that Aberdeen needed 1000+ beds in one place was perhaps a little misguided.

Dude, you're a medic and you have a Scottish accent, you could pretty much pull any girl you wanted. :p:

What's a bottleneck?

It's interesting how the places with high quality of life/student satisfaction with unis are places that are less urban. I'd have thought it would be the other way around, but it never is.

Seriously, England should really learn a thing or two from the Scottish NHS. Do you guys have less red tape or more staff or what? How do you do it?! :p:
Yep, I was shadowing on geriatrics a few months ago and there were 15 empty beds :tongue: It is a problem because they get moved around and then nobody knows what the ward capacities are :rolleyes:

Whoever decided that Aberdeen needed 1000+ beds in one place was perhaps a little misguided.

But at the end of the day, I suppose it's better to have an excess supply for beds than have too few :top:

Anyway, need to go to school now :yawn:
What's a bottleneck?

I'm guessing you don't do AQA Biology... :tongue:

erm - it's where there's so much competition, but the number of places is so few, e.g. 50 consultants applying for 1 consultant post? :dontknow:

EDIT: better example - e.g. 500 medical students training for only 400 F1 places - 100 students would be out of work and would have to reapply next year (or however it works)
(edited 13 years ago)
I'm guessing you don't do AQA Biology... :tongue:

erm - it's where there's so much competition, but the number of places is so few, e.g. 50 consultants applying for 1 consultant post? :dontknow:

Haha, I actually do. I saw the word bottleneck and instantly thought of bottleneck as in genetic bottleneck and got confused. :p: And I googled define: bottleneck and got more confused. I lack common sense, it's why I can't do AQA Bio. :biggrin:

That would make sense.
I dont really mind about the whole PBL/lecture-based division....or the debt... :tongue:

if my UKCAT score is above 700:

KCL
Barts and the London
St.Georges
Leicester

if my UKCAT score is below 700 but above 650:

Barts and the London
St.Georges
Leicester (or maybe somewhere like HYMS)
UEA :cool:

I'm yet to go on open day events but after them and getting our AS and UKCAT results I should be pretty clear which list to pick :tongue:
Just NEEEED a great UKCAT. lol :smile:

That makes applying simpler then. :smile: So is your main want from a med school that it's city based?

Same, I'm going to open days around October... but tbh there are only ~four unis that I REALLY want to go to because of their courses/location so I dunno if there's much point of open days.

Good luck with UKCAT, it looks scaryyyy!

Latest

Trending

Trending