The Student Room Group

Dating a girl with no friends? what are your thoughts on this topic?

ive seen some threads like this, im just interested what people think about this, how would you feel about this? bear in mind that not all people who have no friends are obese, or ugly, or weird, or even have dependancy issues at all but are just unfortunate. Some people who dont have friends could even be people who are fun, cool and attractive but unfortunate in the social aspect of things.How would you feel about dating someone who has no friends, would you?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'd wonder what's wrong with her
Reply 2
Original post by alevelshmaylevel92
ive seen some threads like this, im just interested what people think about this, how would you feel about this? bear in mind that not all people who have no friends are obese, or ugly, or weird, or even have dependancy issues at all but are just unfortunate. Some people who dont have friends could even be people who are fun, cool and attractive but unfortunate in the social aspect of things.How would you feel about dating someone who has no friends, would you?

I was going to suggest an answer before your sprouted that crap. I don't know about you, but I don't choose my friends for their appearance, but rather their personality. Maybe THAT is where YOU are going wrong.
Reply 3
I'd wonder why. Some people are honestly fantastic but just live in very awkward circumstances, and so there's good reasons why they have no friends. Most people who have literally no friends, however, are a bit weird or a bit antisocial. It's worth being sure that they're actually a nice person, and it's worth being sure that they won't mess you around or become overly dependent, but it's not automatically a reason not to date someone.
I'd seriously be questioning 'why'. And it would influence my decision to date a [guy] if there were a lack of social skills. Often it results in clingy partners, who (from experience) want you to spend all your time with them and get incredibly jealous if you don't.

Of course there are exceptions to every rule and you can hardly expect someone on holiday in a foreign country, a newly landed student/visitor/immigrant to have a lot of friends. But there would be an expectation that they would make an effort to meet people and make friends.
Original post by kat2pult
I was going to suggest an answer before your sprouted that crap. I don't know about you, but I don't choose my friends for their appearance, but rather their personality. Maybe THAT is where YOU are going wrong.

sorry, dont get me wrong, im not the type of person that only see people for the way they look, for me its about personality, but you kno alot of ppl are snobby and dont make friends with people they deem "unattractive" i didnt mean to create any offence im sorry x
Reply 6
Would I date a girl with no friends? If I'm attracted to her, sure.
Reply 7
Original post by Elbonian
Would I date a girl with no friends? If I'm attracted to her, sure.

Pretty much
Reply 8

Surely you have the social understanding to see that these people aren't as attractive to be friends with from your school experiences. We may be adults but some of that still hangs around and if you had the hypothetical situation of 2 identical personalities but one who was obese and ugly or average looking, and normal weight you would probably pick the latter subconsciously.

We might all try and be fair but really that not how the world works. If there was a study for are there more friendless fat and ugly's than fit and attractive, my hypotheses would be that fat and ugly's will be more commonly found to have no friends
I used to know a girl who used to stutter frequently so it was pretty hard on her part to meet new people + maintain relationship, not that she was an anti social freak
Reply 10
Original post by alevelshmaylevel92
How would you feel about dating someone who has no friends, would you?

I know a few people who are hermits but otherwise normal. They're quite fun to talk to and hang out with (yes, that happens). So, it's not weird or anything. Yeah, haters gonna hate and all that, but screw what other people think. :smile:

But as for dating, it depends if she's going to cling onto me like a leech to make up for the lack of social interaction. I'm talking overkill clinging on here -- phone call every two hours, text message every 10 minutes, constantly wanting to know what I'm doing -- that sort of stuff. That'd be a pain in the ass IMHO.

Otherwise, sure, why not?
Reply 11

From the aggresiveness of the answer I'm guessing you feel insecure about one or more of these issues. Considering if you read the topic it actually says that NOT all girls who have no friends are like that.
My main concern is that she might be rather clingly, what with me being not only her boyfriend but her only friend as well.
It'd be great to date someone with no friends! I don't have any myself and I don't really like being friends with people (significant others not included) ... so being with someone who wouldn't expect you to hang out with their friends and be all pal-y with them would be fantastic, IMO.
Reply 14
Original post by Shuvel
From the aggresiveness of the answer I'm guessing you feel insecure about one or more of these issues. Considering if you read the topic it actually says that NOT all girls who have no friends are like that.

...but supposedly, all girls who ARE like that are friendless. What a ridiculous thing to say.

I'm not insecure about those things, I just think that if you think of other like that then you're really not worth knowing yourself.
Yes I would, if I were attracted to them.
Reply 16
My ex-girlfriend was an archetypal recluse (at least during the first few months of our relationship), but my family and friends couldn't have been more taken with her. So yes; providing she weren't totally inept.
I personally don't find unsocial girls attractive....I find them hard to talk to and give up with the effort after a while!
Well, as a girl with no friends, I'd like to give my input on this.
My personal situation is that I'm not clingy, I'm not horrible and I am not a complete social outcast (Although admittedly I'm quite shy when I meet new people). I do feel scared about telling guys this because that's probably the assumption that they'll get once hearing about it - but actually, I'm quite an independent person. My circumstances surrounding the friend issue is quite a difficult one and would take up a lot of time trying to explain, but I can't start making friends again until September when I go to university. Looks-wise I'd say I'm pretty average, and I'm not overweight (although I don't really see what this has to do with having friends or not). I think it's quite a taboo thing not to have any friends at all which is why I keep quiet about it in real life... I have acquaintances but no actual people who I hang out with outside of college and it's been this way for a couple of years. I think meeting a guy would bring me out of my shell a bit so to speak, but it's hard to meet someone when people are quick to judge these days about not fitting a social norm.
Original post by Anonymous
Well, as a girl with no friends, I'd like to give my input on this.
My personal situation is that I'm not clingy, I'm not horrible and I am not a complete social outcast (Although admittedly I'm quite shy when I meet new people). I do feel scared about telling guys this because that's probably the assumption that they'll get once hearing about it - but actually, I'm quite an independent person. My circumstances surrounding the friend issue is quite a difficult one and would take up a lot of time trying to explain, but I can't start making friends again until September when I go to university. Looks-wise I'd say I'm pretty average, and I'm not overweight (although I don't really see what this has to do with having friends or not). I think it's quite a taboo thing not to have any friends at all which is why I keep quiet about it in real life... I have acquaintances but no actual people who I hang out with outside of college and it's been this way for a couple of years. I think meeting a guy would bring me out of my shell a bit so to speak, but it's hard to meet someone when people are quick to judge these days about not fitting a social norm.

i understand how u feel, im a lot like you in a way that im independant yet shy and quiet and certainly not clingy. I dont like to brag at all but people i know find me very attractive, n thats what im trying to explain, that even people who are attractive can be lonely, its not about looks n stuff its just your personal circumstance. with me, its that people at college knew each other since primary school n formed their cliques since then, n people generally stick to their own race at collge, its a predominantly asian college n im the only mixed race person, so that could explain why, hey i wish you good luck in september, having no friends is the worst feeling in the world sounds crazy but i'd rather be punched in the face carrying on in this social awkwardness.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending