The Student Room Group

The sound of silence and how it affects my depression/state of mind?

Ok, I made a thread about this before.

Basically I started getting depressed after I started multitasking i.e having a pc on at same time as tv 5 years ago.

With each increase of technology the sounds increase i.e started off with a weak celeron computer and now have a quad core with large fans which makes a lot of noise(sounds like a faulty xbox 360 but louder)

The times when I am using a quiet pc i.e my spare then I can get a good nights sleep and want to go to bed earlier.

Blah blah blah what I am saying is that the actual noise generated even if I havent slept makes me want to stay awake wheras if I have silence I am far more relaxed and want to sleep at normal hours.

Secondly if I use a silent pc and watch a tv I can concentrate on the tv fine, with my loud one it feels like half attention.

Whats other peoples thoughts?
Reply 1
how can that be a root cause of depression... dig deeper

do you even know what depression is?

seems more like anxiety due to techno noise
Switch off the electricity. Light a candle and work with pen and paper = your mind will be soothed and your problems solved (and you'll even save money on your fuel bills!)
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
Ok, I made a thread about this before.

Basically I started getting depressed after I started multitasking i.e having a pc on at same time as tv 5 years ago.

With each increase of technology the sounds increase i.e started off with a weak celeron computer and now have a quad core with large fans which makes a lot of noise(sounds like a faulty xbox 360 but louder)

The times when I am using a quiet pc i.e my spare then I can get a good nights sleep and want to go to bed earlier.

Blah blah blah what I am saying is that the actual noise generated even if I havent slept makes me want to stay awake wheras if I have silence I am far more relaxed and want to sleep at normal hours.

Secondly if I use a silent pc and watch a tv I can concentrate on the tv fine, with my loud one it feels like half attention.

Whats other peoples thoughts?
God says be still and know that i am God
Reply 4
Original post by pamgrace7

The next time you go to click the mouse to make a reply...just 'be still'.
Reply 5
Original post by LeeC
The next time you go to click the mouse to make a reply...just 'be still'.

thank you for that we all need to take time out to be with God better is one day in Gods courts than a thousand elsewear
Original post by pamgrace7

I'm sure "God" doesn't want you trolling an internet forum like you are doing now. :smile:

Anyway OP, I would seek professional help. :yep:
Reply 7
Original post by sil3nt_cha0s
I'm sure "God" doesn't want you trolling an internet forum like you are doing now. :smile:

Anyway OP, I would seek professional help. :yep:

the bible says seek the lord in your youth what makes you think im old your the one with depression love
Reply 8
Original post by winning11
how can that be a root cause of depression... dig deeper

do you even know what depression is?

seems more like anxiety due to techno noise

I wasnt saying it was the root cause of depression, and yes I do know a lot about depression as it runs in the family and I have been low for a few years.

What I was getting at is that perhaps noise in this context affects my frame of mind.

Like when I was in halls i would hear people sometimes come in around 6am and it would make my mind think its close to getting up time so when 8 or 9am came round I could get out of bed easy.

I wasnt anxious or depressed when I lived above a pub infact sometimes I had a nap when the karaoke was on.

So my brain reacts to noise to tell it that its not time to go to bed or its time to get up, so when I am in bed I cant wake up unless I hear activity or if I go to bed late even if its 6am I wake up around 8am due to people going to work and school kids so my brain tells me to get up whearas my head as its tired says I have only had 2 hours sleep or if I went to bed around 2am, then around 6am I would wake up and find it rather easy to get out of bed but be exhausted as if it was middle of night, whearas with 8 hours sleep I cant get out of bed at all so sleep for 10-12 hours.

Sorry if above paragraph was confusing, also I ahve asked for councilling and possible things like sleeping tablets and been refused by various doctors and surgeries over last 3 years.
I'm sorry I have no advice, but here have a nice song

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending