The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2480
Original post by Radekal
Isn't Sheffield the one with a really high UKCAT cut-off? I can't do abstract thinking :s-smilie:

Yup.. :/

I'll decide my exact uni choices after I get my UKCAT results :smile:
Original post by liviaaa
Okay cool :smile: I'm thinking: Birmingham, Newcastle, Nottingham and Sheffield.

I'm also thinking of Newcastle, Nottingham, Sheffield :smile:

Not Birmingham though, my first rejection of my 2011 application. *sigh*
Reply 2482
Original post by FloydTheBarber
I'm also thinking of Newcastle, Nottingham, Sheffield :smile:

Not Birmingham though, my first rejection of my 2011 application. *sigh*

Oh cool :smile:

Oh dear :/ Where else did you apply for?
Ok, is EVERYONE thinking of Newcastle :tongue:
Original post by Normandy114

I know :cry:

Well they're 8th in the UK for medicine apparently!

I underestimated them - thought they'd be somewhere near Keele :eek:
Original post by thegodofgod
I know :cry:

Well they're 8th in the UK for medicine apparently!

I underestimated them - thought they'd be somewhere near Keele :eek:

And what's wrong with Keele?
:tongue:
And what's wrong with Keele?
:tongue:

Well they're not all that prestigious for medicine :ninja:
Original post by liviaaa
Oh cool :smile:

Oh dear :/ Where else did you apply for?

Leeds, Liverpool, Edinburgh :smile:

Best city in the world, obv. (Very biased as it's home)

I'm not convinced that's necessarily true - there's no such thing as a "bad medical school". Maybe it's not a name that would carry a huge amount of weight if you dropped it in a conversation (if that's what you mean by prestige, in which case I don't really see that as a reason not to apply there), but a medical graduate is a medical graduate wherever they're from.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Stegosaurus
I'm not convinced that's necessarily true - there's no such thing as a "bad medical school". Maybe it's not a name that would carry a huge amount of weight if you dropped it in a conversation (if that's what you mean by prestige, in which case I don't really see that as a reason not to apply there), but a medical graduate is a medical graduate wherever they're from.

Indeed. No patient or employers in the NHS is going to give two hoots where you graduated from. A medical degree has the same weight and reputation wherever you go.
to my knowledge, when you apply for jobs in the nhs, they can't actually see where you graduated from.

heretic!!!!
Does anyone's college have any resources for AQA biology unit 2? I would appreciate this and offer my allegiance in return.

You just opened up a badass can of worms there....

If the GMC think a Keele graduate is good enough then so do I :smile:
Original post by SteveCrain
Does anyone's college have any resources for AQA biology unit 2? I would appreciate this and offer my allegiance in return.

Dude!

I'm gonna get so screwed in this exam!!!!
Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope
You just opened up a badass can of worms there....

If the GMC think a Keele graduate is good enough then so do I :smile:

I know :s-smilie:

No doubt about that, but don't you think that if there were two medical graduates, one from Keele and one from say Cambridge, then wouldn't you (or anyone for that matter) presume that the one from Cambridge is (somewhat) better?

(Only because Cambridge is more reputable than Keele)

No doubt about that, but don't you think that if there were two medical graduates, one from Keele and one from say Cambridge, then wouldn't you (or anyone for that matter) presume that the one from Cambridge is (somewhat) better?

better at what?

also: give me your resources

I'm sure I was told that when you are applying for positions in the NHS after medical school that you do not state which university you attended and your employer will be unaware?

If they don't know what they're talking about then yes. Luckily those in charge of your career progression know that the reputation of the uni you went to doesn't mean anything in medicine.

Latest

Trending

Trending