The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SteveCrain
better at what?

also: give me your resources

Just generally a better all-rounder in terms of education, no?

www.biologymad.com - it's got everything

+

the specification on www.aqa.org.uk
Original post by thegodofgod
I know :s-smilie:

No doubt about that, but don't you think that if there were two medical graduates, one from Keele and one from say Cambridge, then wouldn't you (or anyone for that matter) presume that the one from Cambridge is (somewhat) better?

(Only because Cambridge is more reputable than Keele)

No. Foundation placements are university blinded. i.e the NHS trusts don't get to see which uni you went to, only what quartile you graduated from. Any jobs after foundation will care much more about your placements and qualifications you achieved after graduating.

It doesn't matter where you went, it matters how good you are.

www.biologymad.com - it's got everything

+

the specification on www.aqa.org.uk

I don't know. Cambridge use a system that a good portion of other medical schools have advanced from.
Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope
No. Foundation placements are university blinded. i.e the NHS trusts don't get to see which uni you went to, only what quartile you graduated from. Any jobs after foundation will care much more about your placements and qualifications you achieved after graduating.

It doesn't matter where you went, it matters how good you are.

I know that, but for a person who knows nothing about medicine - if you tell them that you went to Keele and that your friend went to Cambridge, who would they think was somewhat better / had a better education?

Keele's and Cambridge's medical courses are on pretty much opposite ends of the spectrum when it comes to teaching style. Neither one is better, they're just different.

If someone who got a lot out of PBL went to Cambridge for medicine, they'd probably end up a worse doctor for it.
I know that, but for a person who knows nothing about medicine - if you tell them that you went to Keele and that your friend went to Cambridge, who would they think was somewhat better / had a better education?

I don't really see why you would care about their opinion at all.
Original post by Kidneyjean
Keele's and Cambridge's medical courses are on pretty much opposite ends of the spectrum when it comes to teaching style. Neither one is better, they're just different.

If someone who got a lot out of PBL went to Cambridge for medicine, they'd probably end up a worse doctor for it.

For a person who knows nothing about medicine / medical eduation / how the system works - if you tell them that you went to Keele and that your friend went to Cambridge, who would they think had a better education / was a "better doctor"?
Original post by gildartz
I don't really see why you would care about their opinion at all.

Dude, I'm from an Indian family.

Hope that explains it all...

Spoiler

Why do you care? I mean you said it yourself, any employers/other doctors will not be judging you on it.

You are probably right, people would think that the Cambridge graduate was cleverer but why should that bother you. I for one am not so insecure about what 'people' will think about me going to Aberdeen.
Dude, I'm from an Indian family.

Hope that explains it all...

Spoiler

Well you probably know more about the application process than them and at the end of the day they're not applying to university.

If they're really the type of asian parents who would respond by disowning and deporting you, then forcing you to change your surname so you don't bring dishonour upon the family then you can always just lie and say you applied to cambridge :biggrin:
Why do you care? I mean you said it yourself, any employers/other doctors will not be judging you on it.

You are probably right, people would think that the Cambridge graduate was cleverer but why should that bother you. I for one am not so insecure about what 'people' will think about me going to Aberdeen.

Dude.... You're totally getting the wrong end of the stick!

I don't give a **** as to where I get my medical education - I'll go wherever I get an offer! My parents will (probably).

It's for those that do care a lot about prestige etc.
(edited 12 years ago)
Well you probably know more about the application process than them and at the end of the day they're not applying to university.

If they're really the type of asian parents who would respond by disowning and deporting you, then forcing you to change your surname so you don't bring dishonour upon the family then you can always just lie and say you applied to cambridge :biggrin:

LOL - nah, they're not like that - well my dad isn't anyway

My mum on the other hand...

Spoiler

LOL - nah, they're not like that - well my dad isn't anyway

My mum on the other hand...

Spoiler

Fair enough then. Apply to King's, it's superior in every way, no bias :biggrin:
Fair enough then. Apply to King's, it's superior in every way, no bias :biggrin:

Well I won't if I fail my UKCAT :sad:

If I get 730 + I will though :dance:

But that probably won't happen :sad:

*goes away and practises from the 600 UKCAT questions book* :tongue:
Well I won't if I fail my UKCAT :sad:

If I get 730 + I will though :dance:

But that probably won't happen :sad:

*goes away and practises from the 600 UKCAT questions book* :tongue:

You would still have a good chance with something around 690 tbh.
Dude.... You're totally getting the wrong end of the stick!

I don't give a **** as to where I get my medical education - I'll go wherever I get an offer! My parents will (probably).

It's for those that do care a lot about prestige etc.

But who does care about prestige??? :confused:

That's my point. I understand that the general population might be more impressed by a Cambridge graduate than (for instance) an Aberdeen graduate, but those people will not be the ones that employ me, regulate me etc

Parents can be awkward generally, and I will admit that I have no idea what it is like to have parents who 'need' me to go to a 'good' university. It might not be my place to comment....but I would be proud of my child if they were a successful doctor, rather than worry about the uni they went to.
But who does care about prestige??? :confused:

That's my point. I understand that the general population might be more impressed by a Cambridge graduate than (for instance) an Aberdeen graduate, but those people will not be the ones that employ me, regulate me etc

Parents can be awkward generally, and I will admit that I have no idea what it is like to have parents who 'need' me to go to a 'good' university. It might not be my place to comment....but I would be proud of my child if they were a successful doctor, rather than worry about the uni they went to.

ASIANS! (I'm probably the only Asian who doesn't care :tongue:)
ASIANS! (I'm probably the only Asian who doesn't care :tongue:)

Please read the poem below:

IF you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,
But make allowance for their doubting too;
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or being lied about, don't deal in lies,
Or being hated, don't give way to hating,
And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise:
If you can dream - and not make dreams your master;
If you can think - and not make thoughts your aim;
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same;
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,
And stoop and build 'em up with worn-out tools:

If you can make one heap of all your winnings
And risk it on one turn of pitch-and-toss,
And lose, and start again at your beginnings
And never breathe a word about your loss;
If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
To serve your turn long after they are gone,
And so hold on when there is nothing in you
Except the Will which says to them: 'Hold on!'

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
' Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch,
if neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you,
If all men count with you, but none too much;
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds' worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!

Rudyard Kipling

Sometimes we all have to have the courage to stand up to those we disagree with. Even if they are our parents. I'm not suggesting you don't work hard and don't go to Oxbridge....but if you don't then you will be fine if you are secure in your own achievements.
Please read the poem below:

IF you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,
But make allowance for their doubting too;
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or being lied about, don't deal in lies,
Or being hated, don't give way to hating,
And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise:
If you can dream - and not make dreams your master;
If you can think - and not make thoughts your aim;
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same;
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,
And stoop and build 'em up with worn-out tools:

If you can make one heap of all your winnings
And risk it on one turn of pitch-and-toss,
And lose, and start again at your beginnings
And never breathe a word about your loss;
If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
To serve your turn long after they are gone,
And so hold on when there is nothing in you
Except the Will which says to them: 'Hold on!'

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
' Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch,
if neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you,
If all men count with you, but none too much;
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds' worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!

Rudyard Kipling

Sometimes we all have to have the courage to stand up to those we disagree with. Even if they are our parents. I'm not suggesting you don't work hard and don't go to Oxbridge....but if you don't then you will be fine if you are secure in your own achievements.

This Dr Seuss quote is pretty cool as well:

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."

I'm not apply to Oxbridge anyway - it was just meant to be a hypothetical situation :tongue:
This Dr Seuss quote is pretty cool as well:

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."

I'm not apply to Oxbridge anyway - it was just meant to be a hypothetical situation :tongue:

*Face desk*

Why on earth are we having this conversation then? :rolleyes:

Latest

Trending

Trending