The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

What ever happened to Gatecrasher?

I had one visit last semester and it was packed - have been three times since and there's been so few people they haven't even been able to open the main room! In my opinion its the best club in Notts when its actually open. Any ideas on why its such a ghost town? Or am I just going on the wrong nights?
Original post by veggie4life
In my opinion its the best club in Notts
Gatecrasher isn't the best club in any city, even in my own hypothetical city where the only two buildings are Gatecrasher and a club specifically for serial rapists.
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 2
What night is Gatecrasher even on these days? I haven't been for a whole year and even then is was crap... suppose it just has so much competition from other more popular clubs and it sorta died after that whole fire thing.
Reply 3
It's a bit poo, also expensive.

also its dead cause most places are cheaper (entry and drink) and have a 'guest list' (enter before 11 and its free).
Reply 4
It turned rubbish when it started focusing on House music and moving away from Trance music.
Original post by IcEmAn911
It turned rubbish when it started focusing on House music and moving away from Trance music.

This.

I remember seeing the likes of Deadmau5 and Armin van Buuren at Gatecrasher Nottingham. Now, they're lucky if they have Calvin Harris (lol).
Reply 6
Original post by ABCI23
This.

I remember seeing the likes of Deadmau5 and Armin van Buuren at Gatecrasher Nottingham. Now, they're lucky if they have Calvin Harris (lol).

Haha it does sound like Gatecrasher does have some money issues or maybe they're trying to cut costs as it clearly shows that they can't afford to have Armin van Buuren or Deadmau5 playing! Didn't they have the pigeon detectives doing a dj set a while back?!
Original post by ABCI23
This.

I remember seeing the likes of Deadmau5
You mean deadmau5 the house artist?
Reply 8
Original post by JCC-MGS
You mean deadmau5 the house artist?

Yes but he said that Gatecrasher departed from trance after the good old days of seeing deadmau5. Deadmau5 isn't trance.
Original post by JCC-MGS
Yes but he said that Gatecrasher departed from trance after the good old days of seeing deadmau5. Deadmau5 isn't trance.

Grossly misquoted. I was referring to the high calibre of artists they used to attract.

It went down hill after it was shut for months after it suffered smoke damage from the fire at the restaurant next door.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by IcEmAn911
Haha it does sound like Gatecrasher does have some money issues or maybe they're trying to cut costs as it clearly shows that they can't afford to have Armin van Buuren or Deadmau5 playing! Didn't they have the pigeon detectives doing a dj set a while back?!

Yeh they did. They also have Jaguar Skills though who is awesome. But apart from that, the artists they have are disappointing. Never mind, I'm not in Nottingham any more.
2 Many DJs played Gatecrasher the other week and they're a pretty good act.

Gatecrasher are having the same problem that has confounded anyone trying to start a 'big club' in Nottingham since the heyday of the dance music scene, Nottingham doesn't do big clubs. The most successful clubs in Nottingham have always been the smaller venues, its what the music scene in Nottingham was built upon, both dance music and rock etc.

The venue is too big for what many within the dance scene want and as a result they have to compromise their door policy in order to fill the place. Compromised door policy = townies. If folk want to go to a club full of townies they go to Oceana or some such trapping joint.

Another issue is that Gatecrasher (and all 'superclubs') relied upon 'die-hard' regulars when they were in Sheffield, the 'Crasher Kids'. The problem was those Crasher Kids felt an attachement to Gatecrasher Sheffield and when that burnt down and no replacement was offered (only now hae they decided to return to their roots) many of the regulars felt betrayed by Gatecrasher, especially so when the brand expanded into Nottingham and Birmingham. Gatecrasher should really have tried to foster this attachment in Nottingham but it seems that they were going for a clean slate and cutting with their past, something I believe was a big mistake.
An interesting thread to read guys. I'm starting a trance brand in Nottingham were the music policy is pure trance - I suppose like Gatecrasher used to be when it first took up residency at Media, Queens St. As a start up brand I won't attract big
Reply 14
Original post by weston271074
An interesting thread to read guys. I'm starting a trance brand in Nottingham were the music policy is pure trance - I suppose like Gatecrasher used to be when it first took up residency at Media, Queens St. As a start up brand I won't attract big

What kind of trance? You talking the likes of Armin etc?
Original post by makrxx
What kind of trance? You talking the likes of Armin etc?

Yes the type if trance Armin used to be renowned for before he and the likes of Tiesto were lured by the coin to do commercial remixes. My music policy is strictly trance ranging from progressive uplifting tech/psy. All Nottingham based djs.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending