The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope
You go and visit the real world for just a few days...

Sorry? I'm a bit lost :p: Excuse my retartedness :laugh:
Original post by JChoudhry
Sorry? I'm a bit lost :p: Excuse my retartedness :laugh:

I was just trying to be funny :frown: i.e you leave tsr for 2 minutes and everything has changed :rolleyes:
Hi everyone, can someone advise me please.

If you don't get 3 A's at AS what are your options? Can you proceed to Y13 and still try and apply to uni or should you try resitting Y12 in hope of getting 3 A's the second time round.

Also, where is everybody thinking of applying too. I quite like the look of Newcastle but I've heard it's really hard to get into. Is this true?

Also, best of luck everyone :smile:
Original post by Machimbawe
hey, im in y12 and in y8 i was moved up a year so i kinda skipped half of y8 and half of y9 .
I have heard that some unis do not accept sstudents that are 17 years old when they start or that arent 18 years old before the first day of second semestre .
All this for medicine i mean.
Does anyone know if its true ? or what i could do in the case of me not being accepted because of my age ?
What are your opinions on gap years and defred entreys for medicine ?
Thanks ! :P

Scottish unis tend to be ok with you not being 18, (Aberdeen, Edinburgh, St andrews) - also i think Brighton & sussex, possibly Kings, also maybe Oxford (maybe cambridge too) - are the ones which are more likely to not have a problem (i have heard of people who weren't yet 18 who have got into these ones) so it is worth getting in touch with them just to confirm this.

Some unis (like UCL) do impose a lower age limit. I think some of it may be to do with how early each uni has patient contact .... but then again some people who have been 17 at time of entry to medical school have managed to get into unis which do have early pt contact.

If you are up for taking a gap year (and spending it wisely .. :biggrin: ) then go for it - as it might make your application a better one with some gap experience for next year - plus you wont be limiting your uni choices. If not, then people who weren't yet 18 have got into some medical schools in the past so it is definitely possible :smile:

this thread will help you out:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=30339254&highlight=
-

do you happen to know which unis put more emphasis on UKCAT (or bmat) than others? not too confident at all about how well i'll do on those and people are telling me to 'apply smart' so i might steer clear of the ones that are have a definitive cutoff for Ukcat .. thanks!
Original post by giraffegiraffe
do you happen to know which unis put more emphasis on UKCAT (or bmat) than others? not too confident at all about how well i'll do on those and people are telling me to 'apply smart' so i might steer clear of the ones that are have a definitive cutoff for Ukcat .. thanks!

Have a read here:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/UKCAT

I don't know much a bout unis outside Scotland tbh. Glasgow have a cutoff and Edinburgh tend to like high scorers (points based system) Aberdeen, Dundee aren't too fussed by it.
Original post by giraffegiraffe

Sheffield places the UKCAT VERY highly, the cutoff this year was around 710-715. Quite a few others have ukcat cutoffs but are relatively much lower (around 630 or so).
Reply 2987
My UKCAT is on my birthday... should I have my birthday party before or after it :hmmmm:
Original post by cz100
My UKCAT is on my birthday... should I have my birthday party before or after it :hmmmm:

Tough one...:rolleyes:
I was just trying to be funny :frown: i.e you leave tsr for 2 minutes and everything has changed :rolleyes:

:laugh: Sorry, my bad :p:
Have a read here:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/UKCAT

I don't know much a bout unis outside Scotland tbh. Glasgow have a cutoff and Edinburgh tend to like high scorers (points based system) Aberdeen, Dundee aren't too fussed by it.

Original post by Normandy114
Sheffield places the UKCAT VERY highly, the cutoff this year was around 710-715. Quite a few others have ukcat cutoffs but are relatively much lower (around 630 or so).

thankyou!
(edited 12 years ago)
Lots and lots of pages... So sorry if people have been sharing this information earlier but...

Where is everyone applying to? :smile:
Reply 2992
Original post by EbonyJane
thankyou, id been told it could be a problem but that it could be solved by just applying the year following year 13 when youve got your final grades (:

tbh you have nothing to lose by applying in the Oct of Year 13. if you don't get in you can reapply the next year-loads of people do that. the med schools don't have minimum AS results on their websites so I don't think they will be a problem. If you get a high UKCAT score, you'll automatically get interviews at Newcastle, Durham and some others, so long as you meet the predicted A2 grades. Just do your best for the summer exams but lower As levels won't stop you getting a place if you apply sensibly.
Reply 2993
Original post by 05jwappleyard
Hi everyone, can someone advise me please.

If you don't get 3 A's at AS what are your options? Can you proceed to Y13 and still try and apply to uni or should you try resitting Y12 in hope of getting 3 A's the second time round.

Also, where is everybody thinking of applying too. I quite like the look of Newcastle but I've heard it's really hard to get into. Is this true?

Also, best of luck everyone :smile:

plenty of people get below AAA at AS but resit modules or just get higher scores in the Year 13 exams and end up with AAA at A2. wait til you have your total AS scores and decide. I re-sat my AS practicals and that was enough to up my grades-others re-sat the first AS modules. it depends on your results but resitting a whole year would only be necessary if your school refuse to give you the predicted grades your unis want (and then I'd beg,grovel instead)
I'm off to Newcastle in Sept. once your summer exams are over, practise for your UKCAT as theNewc/Durham cut-off this year was 670. I don't care if other people don't revise for it-I read every book I could and tried every website about it. maybe I would have got the same scores without all the practise but why take a chance?
(edited 12 years ago)
Apologies if this has already been asked before, but how many of you potential applicants have began revising for the UKCAT? Has anyone booked their UKCAT yet? I was thinking of booking it for the end of July/beginning of August.
Original post by Andrew Mooney
Apologies if this has already been asked before, but how many of you potential applicants have began revising for the UKCAT? Has anyone booked their UKCAT yet? I was thinking of booking it for the end of July/beginning of August.

I started revising for it in about March xD It was after a Medicine "Summer" school so I was all inspired and stuff... but then I gave up and haven't since :O

I booked mine last week (Y) 6th August... we'll have to make a thread for when everyone gets their results :cool:
Maybe you should wait and see how you get on this year :smile: Don't worry about second applications until you have to.

your p0robably right ive just been procrastinating alot recently :biggrin:
Original post by Joseppea
I started revising for it in about March xD It was after a Medicine "Summer" school so I was all inspired and stuff... but then I gave up and haven't since :O

I booked mine last week (Y) 6th August... we'll have to make a thread for when everyone gets their results :cool:

I started revising a couple of months ago and then stopped as I was worried I would go through all the questions in the 600 UKCAT questions book, and then when practicing them just before the exam, I would be answering them through memory as opposed to through actually working them out.

Might start revising again now though.
Original post by Andrew Mooney
I started revising a couple of months ago and then stopped as I was worried I would go through all the questions in the 600 UKCAT questions book, and then when practicing them just before the exam, I would be answering them through memory as opposed to through actually working them out.

Might start revising again now though.

That sorta happened to me last year. I had a book that i just power read in a week or so (such a bad idea) and just kept repeating questions but after i'd gotten them wrong, I'd always get them right because I could remember the answer rather than learn why it was right... which in turn didn't help my ukcat at all :tongue: if its a few months since you last did it, you should be fine as it may be familiar and at least if you know you might remember it, you can then think "ok so why is this right" :smile:
Original post by Quackers93
That sorta happened to me last year. I had a book that i just power read in a week or so (such a bad idea) and just kept repeating questions but after i'd gotten them wrong, I'd always get them right because I could remember the answer rather than learn why it was right... which in turn didn't help my ukcat at all :tongue: if its a few months since you last did it, you should be fine as it may be familiar and at least if you know you might remember it, you can then think "ok so why is this right" :smile:

Ah, so I'm not the only one. How did your UKCAT go? How long did you spend revising before your UKCAT?

Latest

Trending

Trending