The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3320
Original post by liviaaa

Original post by liviaaa
Just finished exams today. :biggrin: Now time for looking at the UKCAT, personal statements etc...

Same here, not much of a summer holiday :sigh:

Where is everyone getting their UKCAT/BMAT revision books from, if you're getting one at all? I'm thinking of just using the ones from the library. Is there much difference between editions? I want to know if its worth buying the 2011 versions when they come out and if anyone else is buying them.
Reply 3321
Original post by logicalpuzzles
CZ, if anyone will know i think there's a chance you will have some sort of technique

basically, in the ukcat 600 book, for abstract reasoning it tells you to rule out all of the obvious patterns, but as you start ruling out the patterns, you IMMEDIATLEY run out of time to EVEN decipher what the patterns are - have you any advice for this?

for the QR section, i mean i will learn the maths to do it, but the thing is, for 30 seconds, i read the question in 15 seconds because you HAVE to, and then , i do not have time to use the onscreen calculator to do the rest:frown:

any tips? i will practise, but are there any techniques? ty

Sorry but I really don't know much :colondollar: I haven't done it yet and only tried 3 QR exercises and 1 exercise from each of the other sections. I did hear from people who had done it that they never bothered using the calculator which leads me to think the maths in the actual test might be easier
Original post by oli_G
is this thread for current year 11s or current year 12s?

Year 12s as year Year 11s will not be applying next year.
Original post by tamii05
Year 12's because they're the ones applying for medicine in 2012.

Well technically we're applying in 2011, but for 2012 entry :tongue:
Original post by cz100
Sorry but I really don't know much :colondollar: I haven't done it yet and only tried 3 QR exercises and 1 exercise from each of the other sections. I did hear from people who had done it that they never bothered using the calculator which leads me to think the maths in the actual test might be easier

Original post by Normandy114

no worries, all the best:smile:
Original post by tamii05
Same here, not much of a summer holiday :sigh:

Where is everyone getting their UKCAT/BMAT revision books from, if you're getting one at all? I'm thinking of just using the ones from the library. Is there much difference between editions? I want to know if its worth buying the 2011 versions when they come out and if anyone else is buying them.

The night is darkest just before the dawn.

I'm getting my UKCAT book from one of my teachers over the summer if that fails I will check the library if that fails I will have to buy one from amazon for about £11-12.
I've heard the best book is the 600 UKCAT book.
Reply 3326

Haha, I meant to write that.

:cool:
Reply 3328
Original post by Limitless

The night is darkest just before the dawn.

I'm getting my UKCAT book from one of my teachers over the summer if that fails I will check the library if that fails I will have to buy one from amazon for about £11-12.
I've heard the best book is the 600 UKCAT book.

Ah, ok. Thanks for the tip - I'll be on the lookout for that then. There's 4 other people that are applying for medicine in my school so I don't know if I'll manage to borrow the revision books from school :s-smilie:

Either public libraries or amazon, I guess.
Original post by tamii05
Ah, ok. Thanks for the tip - I'll be on the lookout for that then. There's 4 other people that are applying for medicine in my school so I don't know if I'll manage to borrow the revision books from school :s-smilie:

Either public libraries or amazon, I guess.

There is no other medicine applicants in my year. Everyone that wanted to do it 3 others all ended up saying it's not for them.
One student wants to do Engineering at university.
One realized she is not going to get the grades after getting straight Us in the January modules.
One said it requires too much hard work.
Reply 3330
There is no other medicine applicants in my year. Everyone that wanted to do it 3 others all ended up saying it's not for them.
One realized she is not going to get the grades after getting straight Us in the January modules.

Wow - do you have a small school?

About 30 want to at my school...
Original post by Straight up G
I've learnt lots actually dimwit. You're the one who clearly hasn't learnt anything because you don't respond to my shouting.

That is not cute, that is just ****ing weird. Obssessive style weird. I bought three for English and probably 2 more, so not that much more for me. And I haven't read anything about the tests properly, should get round to doing so in the summer.

I know you're useless, stop telling me these things. The HTC brand is really good, easy to use and never gives any problems, it's a good buy.

Yeah, you've got like 6 months to revise for those questions, and all of the girls I know who underestimate themselves also say that they're being 'realistic' :rolleyes:.

On a different note, got GP work experience, Care home volunteering and possibly Hospital work experience sorted today, as well as smart clothes for them (dad says I can't turn up in jeans :angry:). Did more today than every single other day after exams put together :biggrin:

And you continue to shout, genius :rolleyes:

LOL I didn't say it was cute that I made a poster, eedyat, I said the poster itself was cute, which it was. :proud: If you think that's weird, you don't want to see my notes haha :redface:

Yeah but if they throw crazy questions at me like 'how would you measure the weight of your head' etc then I can hardly revise for them lol. Haaa, you're annoying. :h:

Well done on being productive. But how did you sort out hospital work experience in one day? :eek: It took me several emails and rejections (:emo:) to secure mine. Really need to start volunteering again, have taken a massive break :sigh:
Original post by liviaaa
Wow - do you have a small school?

About 30 want to at my school...

It's you again, I remember you from the biology thread. :biggrin:

Yeah very small. It could be because it is private independent school I think there is about 50 students in the lower sixth and about 50-60 in upper sixth. So the sixth form is pretty tiny compared to some colleges. I know of some classes where the class size is as little as 1 person to a teacher.
Anyone else finish exams today? :biggrin:
Now to focus on UKCAT, volunteering, work experience, EPQ, personal statement and good old results day.
Reply 3334

Yeah very small. It could be because it is private independent school I think there is about 50 students in the lower sixth and about 50-60 in upper sixth. So the sixth form is pretty tiny compared to some colleges. I know of some classes where the class size is as little as 1 person to a teacher.

I've got the same situation only less students at my college than you.

No kidding :rolleyes: But seriously, I don't think I've got the right grades either after doing the exams but what sucks is that I'm going to have to revise for UKCAT and get work experience anyway just in case I do get the grades.
Reply 3335

Haha, yeah :tongue:

Oh okay! I go to a private school too, but a much larger year gorup. We have classes of 10-15.
Original post by tamii05
I've got the same situation only less students at my college than you.

No kidding :rolleyes: But seriously, I don't think I've got the right grades either after doing the exams but what sucks is that I'm going to have to revise for UKCAT and get work experience anyway just in case I do get the grades.

Yeah I feel the same but if you just say to yourself it requires too much hardwork so I'm not going to bother then you won't get anywhere in life. Everyone has to try it's just that some need to try more than others. I've never heard of anybody to get straight As without trying and if they said they have they are lying. You don't just know how to do A-Level chemistry from birth you've got to try to understand.

Do we put predicted grades on our UCAS or AS level and predicted grades?
Original post by liviaaa
Haha, yeah :tongue:

Oh okay! I go to a private school too, but a much larger year gorup. We have classes of 10-15.

I'm onto you. Stalker :colonhash:
Reply 3338

Yeah I feel the same but if you just say to yourself it requires too much hardwork so I'm not going to bother then you won't get anywhere in life. Everyone has to try it's just that some need to try more than others. I've never heard of anybody to get straight As without trying and if they said they have they are lying. You don't just know how to do A-Level chemistry from birth you've got to try to understand.

Do we put predicted grades on our UCAS or AS level and predicted grades?

AS Level grades and predicted grades. I'm not too sure if we have to give specific UMS marks for the subject or each module though :s-smilie: Apparently you don't have too but I don't know if this is different for medicine and specific universities. Although, surely they can retrieve this information already...?
Original post by tamii05
AS Level grades and predicted grades. I'm not too sure if we have to give specific UMS marks for the subject or each module though :s-smilie: Apparently you don't have too but I don't know if this is different for medicine and specific universities. Although, surely they can retrieve this information already...?

Putting UMS mark could have its pros and cons. I mean if you are one mark off full UMS and that stopped you getting an A overall in the subject then it is useful but, if you managed to scrape an A overall in the subject that it does not looks as good.

Latest

Trending

Trending