The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 780
Original post by tateco
I don't want to sell myself short, and with the likelihood of a gap year scheme I don't feel it's worth having an insurance university.

Nice choices though. Just out of interest, if you got Bristol, Bath, and Nottingham but no other offers which would you firm? (They all seem about level for me)

Fair enough, plus the tuiton fees will be the same next year. People who decided to take a gap year this year would definetly be kicking themselves :tongue:

And that's a pretty tough choice.. I probably would have to go with Bath. Simply because the uni itself looks amazing and they offer a year placement, which would really make you stand out from employers and give you a more in depth view of how Economics works in a workplace.
Though very marginally I'd say Bath.
From your choices, what would you choose out of UCL, LSE or Warwick? All three are very strong around Economics.

Original post by thegenius31416
My insurance choice is Exeter. I know they offer A*AA but virtually everyone, at my school, who applies there, gets an offer so it's more about an insurance in case I get no other offers than for my grades. My grades insurance would be Nottingham as they offer AABB (if that's still going for next year anyway).

Nottingham and Exeter are relatively strong insurance choices. Are Exeter asking for A*AA? I thought they were only asking AAA. Nottingham is a pretty good insurance choice :smile:
What other universities are you applying to?
Reply 781
Original post by Hemzo
Fair enough, plus the tuiton fees will be the same next year. People who decided to take a gap year this year would definetly be kicking themselves :tongue:

And that's a pretty tough choice.. I probably would have to go with Bath. Simply because the uni itself looks amazing and they offer a year placement, which would really make you stand out from employers and give you a more in depth view of how Economics works in a workplace.
Though very marginally I'd say Bath.
From your choices, what would you choose out of UCL, LSE or Warwick? All three are very strong around Economics.

I really like the look of Bath too, definitely applying for the sandwich course this time round (and will apply for the normal 3 year course if I'm successful with a gap scheme and end up reapplying).

Some of the placements are amazing, like Bank of England, J P Morgan, BP. Would be such a good experience.

Out of those three it would have to be LSE, even though I actually like the look of the course at UCL more than any of the others I wouldn't be able to resist the LSE brand. In order of preference I'd probably say Cambridge, LSE, UCL, Warwick/Bath, Nottingham.

Not that I'll have that problem, probably will only get 1 or 2 offers if any :tongue:
Original post by Hemzo

Nottingham and Exeter are relatively strong insurance choices. Are Exeter asking for A*AA? I thought they were only asking AAA. Nottingham is a pretty good insurance choice :smile:
What other universities are you applying to?

Yep, they've been asking for A*AA this year. Nottingham are also looking to do the same, but hopefully they will keep their BB in last two A-Levels offer for people doing 4 subjects.

Warwick, Bristol and Edinburgh.
Reply 783
Original post by tateco
I really like the look of Bath too, definitely applying for the sandwich course this time round (and will apply for the normal 3 year course if I'm successful with a gap scheme and end up reapplying).

Some of the placements are amazing, like Bank of England, J P Morgan, BP. Would be such a good experience.

Out of those three it would have to be LSE, even though I actually like the look of the course at UCL more than any of the others I wouldn't be able to resist the LSE brand. In order of preference I'd probably say Cambridge, LSE, UCL, Warwick/Bath, Nottingham.

Not that I'll have that problem, probably will only get 1 or 2 offers if any :tongue:

I thought you weren't visiting LSE? :colondollar:
Reply 784
Original post by Groat
I thought you weren't visiting LSE? :colondollar:

Only because the chance of me getting an offer is EXTREMELY low, Hemzo gave me the hypothetical situation of an offer :wink:

(I'm still considering it but it's LSE vs. Warwick, I really like the look of my other 4 choices and would be happy at any of them)
I'm glad that quite a few people in this forum are happy (and they should be considering the competitiveness of Economics) at the prospect of going to Universities which aren't just the top 5.
Reply 786
I'm glad that quite a few people in this forum are happy (and they should be considering the competitiveness of Economics) at the prospect of going to Universities which aren't just the top 5.

I agree, whilst that is my ultimate goal not going to the top 5 will not cut off ANY career options. It may reduce your chances of reaching IB FO IBD jobs but that is all. Some people have over inflated expectations of what the top 5 universities will do for you in terms of career possibilities. You will learn good economics at many institutions in the UK, it's about keeping a balance of prospects, social aspects and the course itself - not just prospects.
Original post by tateco
I agree, whilst that is my ultimate goal not going to the top 5 will not cut off ANY career options. It may reduce your chances of reaching IB FO IBD jobs but that is all. Some people have over inflated expectations of what the top 5 universities will do for you in terms of career possibilities. You will learn good economics at many institutions in the UK, it's about keeping a balance of prospects, social aspects and the course itself - not just prospects.

Exactly, couldn't have put it better myself :biggrin:

and thus, you can have some rep for that
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 788
Exactly, couldn't have put it better myself :biggrin:

and thus, you can have some rep for that

I would too, but I've got to rep others before repping Tat again :tongue:

Btw, nice choices for uni! I was thinking of applying to either Bristol or Durham for one of my choices, but I'll guess it'll depend on what my predicted A2 grades will be.

Original post by tateco

You never know, but one offer from any of your selected uni's will probably make anyone happy. You know it's going to be a fine institution so happy days :biggrin:
Reply 789
Original post by Hemzo
I would too, but I've got to rep others before repping Tat again :tongue:

Btw, nice choices for uni! I was thinking of applying to either Bristol or Durham for one of my choices, but I'll guess it'll depend on what my predicted A2 grades will be.

You never know, but one offer from any of your selected uni's will probably make anyone happy. You know it's going to be a fine institution so happy days :biggrin:

I can't give any rep to most people in this thread because I've already given them too much :tongue: (you two included!)

If you like either of them then go for it! Be risky with your choices if you think it could pay off.

Yeah, my main aim is to have an application where I will be thrilled wherever I end up!
Reply 790
Original post by tateco
I can't give any rep to most people in this thread because I've already given them too much :tongue: (you two included!)

If you like either of them then go for it! Be risky with your choices if you think it could pay off.

Yeah, my main aim is to have an application where I will be thrilled wherever I end up!

Hmm.. I'll definetly give it some thought :smile:
Reply 791
Writing my personal statement is just getting me worked up about mistakes in exams again. :cry2:
Reply 792
Original post by Groat
Writing my personal statement is just getting me worked up about mistakes in exams again. :cry2:

All we can do now is be positive! :biggrin:
Reply 793
Original post by tateco
All we can do now is be positive! :biggrin:

I know, but it's hard to not get angry at yourself in Maths. I'm hoping to finish with a bang after FP1. :colone:
Any idea what York's offer will be this year? I'm hoping for it to be AAB, otherwise I have no idea what to put as my insurance offer. I was hoping Nottingham would be a sort of insurance but they moved up their offer this year (predictably).

Will only start my PS after C3 on Monday, but I have an EPQ to do as well. So much for a break after exams :/
Reply 795
Original post by Psychotic546
Any idea what York's offer will be this year? I'm hoping for it to be AAB, otherwise I have no idea what to put as my insurance offer. I was hoping Nottingham would be a sort of insurance but they moved up their offer this year (predictably).

Will only start my PS after C3 on Monday, but I have an EPQ to do as well. So much for a break after exams :/

Oh Christ, so did I :| That means all the universities I want to apply to will be A*AA :|
Original post by tateco
Oh Christ, so did I :| That means all the universities I want to apply to will be A*AA :|

Don't worry, you'll be fine. Going by your theory, applying to A*AA unis should be the strategy anyway :tongue:
I guess you could decide how much risk you can take once you've found out if you've been accepted onto the placement schemes :biggrin:
Reply 797
Original post by jamiepango
Don't worry, you'll be fine. Going by your theory, applying to A*AA unis should be the strategy anyway :tongue:
I guess you could decide how much risk you can take once you've found out if you've been accepted onto the placement schemes :biggrin:

But still! It's a bit of a concern, because it means I won't have an insurance university, Nottingham I was hoping to be my insurance at AAA (pretty high but better than A*AA).

I don't know if I'll find out about placement schemes in time, applications open between July and September so I might not know about schemes until it's too late...
Reply 798
Original post by Psychotic546

The most it will go up to is AAA, which it could do quite easily with the current levels of competition.
Original post by tateco
But still! It's a bit of a concern, because it means I won't have an insurance university, Nottingham I was hoping to be my insurance at AAA (pretty high but better than A*AA).

I don't know if I'll find out about placement schemes in time, applications open between July and September so I might not know about schemes until it's too late...

Hmm I guess. I think I will put York as my insurance, even though the offer will in all likelihood go up :/ Have you decided which Cambridge college you are applying to?

Latest

Trending

Trending