The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SarahTM
If you finish everything over the summer, it won't be too bad if you actually want to do it. But I aimed to do it over the summer and didn't. It distracted from my alevels, took so much of my time and I got to the point where I had a breakdown in a lesson because of the pressure I was under :|
They have set questions to ask you for medicine interviews, and don't care about EPQ... My biomed interview was far more interested about asking me about a cure for cancer :'D

Anyway, I got an A* in mine, but nowhere cares. :tongue: it didn't help me to get an interview and it didn't help me in my January exams :']

But if you think you can do it all in the summer, feel free :tongue:

I'm personally interested in medicine:smile: So researching a topic in medicine will show i am interested - i will write it in my personal statement hopefully
Lesicter accept it in the place of an a/s too
Original post by SarahTM
I would you know :wink:
Ohmygod, how could you stand physics ;D
Biology, Chemistry and Psychology :'D AS English Language :'D and EPQ also :P
What did you do yours on? Mine was the biggest waste of time ever :'D

Tbh physics was my favourite subject last year haha Ewwwww! English! lol
I did mine on a disease called Haemochromatosis (iron overload) cause people in my family have it, and its more common in Celtic people so Irish and Scottish and hoped it would appeal to scottish unis haha didn't really work, but it was really interesting :smile: I was hoping cause my supervisor knew nothing about it I could blag bits of it I did'nt know, but then "The Haemochromatosis Society" even asked to see a copy of it :') which was good but then again, it meant I couldn't blag it lol My supervisor won't tell me what I got :frown: all teachers in our colllege have been told we cant find out until results day :frown: The log nearly killed me! lol

what did you do yours on? Reading back over this thread, I too nearly had a mental breakdown over mine cause I couldn't write anything! but then i ended up going over to about 7,500 words haha
Original post by im no superman

I'm personally interested in medicine:smile: So researching a topic in medicine will show i am interested - i will write it in my personal statement hopefully
Lesicter accept it in the place of an a/s too

So did I :'D
But if you want to, just do it :tongue:
Original post by Quackers93
Tbh physics was my favourite subject last year haha Ewwwww! English! lol
I did mine on a disease called Haemochromatosis (iron overload) cause people in my family have it, and its more common in Celtic people so Irish and Scottish and hoped it would appeal to scottish unis haha didn't really work, but it was really interesting :smile: I was hoping cause my supervisor knew nothing about it I could blag bits of it I did'nt know, but then "The Haemochromatosis Society" even asked to see a copy of it :') which was good but then again, it meant I couldn't blag it lol My supervisor won't tell me what I got :frown: all teachers in our colllege have been told we cant find out until results day :frown: The log nearly killed me! lol

what did you do yours on? Reading back over this thread, I too nearly had a mental breakdown over mine cause I couldn't write anything! but then i ended up going over to about 7,500 words haha

I love english :'D haha :tongue:
Wow! That's really good :biggrin:
I cried in a psych lesson :'D my teacher was like :O
I did mine on medical treatments for mental disorders :'] just thought it would be a bit different :]] mine was 5,500 :wink:
and our 'pastoral leader' was my supervisor, so she told me secretly :'D
Original post by SarahTM
I love english :'D haha :tongue:
Wow! That's really good :biggrin:
I cried in a psych lesson :'D my teacher was like :O
I did mine on medical treatments for mental disorders :'] just thought it would be a bit different :]] mine was 5,500 :wink:
and our 'pastoral leader' was my supervisor, so she told me secretly :'D

Oooooh I've always wanted to look into mental disorders and stuff :smile: One thing I did hate was that anytime I came across something interesting I'd want to give up on haemochromatosis and move to something else, like synesthesia :tongue: ahhh nice. One of my friends somehow found out she'd gotten full marks i was just like :zomg: unforntuatly we have the same supervisor, so hopefully hgers wasn't so amazingly good that it made mine look rubbish lol... only results day will tell!
Reply 4645
Original post by SarahTM
So did I :'D
But if you want to, just do it :tongue:

what topic are you going to research on ?
Reply 4646
Heyy guys,,, i was just wondering which one is better PBL or lecture based learning?
I've wasted the better part of my day

time to start doing some BMAT preparation, and also some UKCAT preparation
Original post by Quackers93
Oooooh I've always wanted to look into mental disorders and stuff :smile: One thing I did hate was that anytime I came across something interesting I'd want to give up on haemochromatosis and move to something else, like synesthesia :tongue: ahhh nice. One of my friends somehow found out she'd gotten full marks i was just like :zomg: unforntuatly we have the same supervisor, so hopefully hgers wasn't so amazingly good that it made mine look rubbish lol... only results day will tell!

Haha :'D
In my presentation, I showed a video of a lobotomy ;]
I think it completely freaked my teachers out and they gave me 47/50 :biggrin: yay! ;]
I'm sure yours will be fab :]]
and were they on the same subject? Because they can't compare them ;]
Original post by aqua05
what topic are you going to research on ?

Huh? For my EPQ? I already finished it :'D I got rejected this year :']
Original post by SarahTM

:smile: You sound like ten times the applicant i am lol

honestly,

could we have any more information about your bmat/ukcat score, grades, choice of university?
Reply 4651
Original post by SarahTM

Nope, you said something about writing something about you researching on something specific in the medicine side into your personal statement. What are you going to write on in your PS ?
:smile: You sound like ten times the applicant i am lol

honestly,

could we have any more information about your bmat/ukcat score, grades, choice of university?

Haha, thanks :smile:) obviously not though xD
Loving the scrubs reference in your name btw :'D
Yeah, I didn't do BMAT, I got 670 ukcat (which is average), my grades weren't that great (ABBC) but I was predicted (AAA) and Leeds gave me 9/15 for academics which isn't bad :smile:
I applied to Manchester, Leeds and Keele... I chose two biomed just in case I ended up not getting in (which is what happened :tongue:)
Original post by aqua05
Nope, you said something about writing something about you researching on something specific in the medicine side into your personal statement. What are you going to write on in your PS ?

Um... Did I? Haven't got a clue :tongue: sorry xD
Original post by SarahTM
Haha, thanks :smile:) obviously not though xD
Loving the scrubs reference in your name btw :'D
Yeah, I didn't do BMAT, I got 670 ukcat (which is average), my grades weren't that great (ABBC) but I was predicted (AAA) and Leeds gave me 9/15 for academics which isn't bad :smile:
I applied to Manchester, Leeds and Keele... I chose two biomed just in case I ended up not getting in (which is what happened :tongue:)

Very Impressive UKCAT score, and it's all about the predicted grades(you got AAA ,i 'm feeling really upset about not being predicted that, my a/s wasn't the best)
i say impressive ukcat score, the average is acctually around 600, so you're in the high 600's
So you're taking the grad entry into medicine?
Very Impressive UKCAT score, and it's all about the predicted grades(you got AAA ,i 'm feeling really upset about not being predicted that, my a/s wasn't the best)
i say impressive ukcat score, the average is acctually around 600, so you're in the high 600's
So you're taking the grad entry into medicine?

Umm... I don't know... It depends because if I get 3A's it seems pointless doing a gateway degree when I can just reapply...
If I miss the grades but get into my firm/insurance I'll do grad from there :smile:
I don't want to do that flipping UKCAT again :']
Original post by laurenl93
Oioi guys, may as well park my reapplicant ass onto this thread now

Hope all your AS exams have went well :ahee:

Location Newcastle? Snaaaap. :biggrin:
Original post by SarahTM
Umm... I don't know... It depends because if I get 3A's it seems pointless doing a gateway degree when I can just reapply...
If I miss the grades but get into my firm/insurance I'll do grad from there :smile:
I don't want to do that flipping UKCAT again :']

:smile: nah i'm just used to hearing about people who do bio-med taking the grad route

:smile: it's all up to you

personally, i have never sat this ukcat, and despite trying to make it seem fun, it's so boring i have stopped preparing for it

will resume shortly lol
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4658
Any interesting topics in medicine (biology related) that I could do a research paper on??

I'm thinking related to some disease like cancer but that seems a bit common! If I was to do cancer I'm thinking the effects of E numbers, vitamins and supplements and artificial sweeteners (aspartame and saccharin).

Can anyone think of something more exciting and unique or does anyone think that this idea is good?

Is researching a very rare disease any good when applying to unis? - because I'm very interested in progeria!!

Thanks for any help :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4659
Those of you who didn't get all A-grades at AS - how much convincing did it take for your teachers to predict you AAA :tongue: those of you who succeeded at convincing that is!

Latest

Trending

Trending