The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by rhetoric
Cool, yeah I've been told they're nice- what sort of questions did you get asked? :smile:

They asked me about the course and just left me to talk until I'd run out of things to say, they asked me about volunteering in British Heart (rather than my work experience which seemed strange), why St. Andrews. They also give you a article to read and ask you questions on it and stuff which wasn't too bad. I thought it was going to be dead stressed out but it was all cool. I was sorta lucky, during my interview they decided to test the fire alarm and lucky they'd just finished asking a question so i had longer to think :tongue:

Original post by Limesasquatch
HELP!
As a re-applicant myself, with only one interview to my name, and I got totally raped in it, I was wondering how to overcome the question of "why did you choose to apply to this Medical School?" question!

As when I was in my interview, i was asked "Why did you choose to apply to this Medical School... *pauses* ...apart from for the nightlife?"
And i was like say what B*ATCH?! as i didnt even know it had a 'good' nightlife until my Dentist told me AFTER I'd applied!
any way I ended up saying the usual BS like, 'omg, its just tot's fab, and and like the city is like well wicked!'
So any suggestions incase I manage to get interviewed again would be um tot's fab (?)

Before my interview I prayed to God that I didn't get asked that! And my pray was answered. If I got asked that question my interview would have crashed and burned. All that kept going through my head before the interview if I got asked that question was "DO NOT MENTION SCRUBS!!!!!!!" lol
Reply 4781
Original post by Quackers93
They asked me about the course and just left me to talk until I'd run out of things to say, they asked me about volunteering in British Heart (rather than my work experience which seemed strange), why St. Andrews. They also give you a article to read and ask you questions on it and stuff which wasn't too bad. I thought it was going to be dead stressed out but it was all cool. I was sorta lucky, during my interview they decided to test the fire alarm and lucky they'd just finished asking a question so i had longer to think :tongue:

Cool, yeah that sounds alright :smile: is it weird that I'm looking forward to interviews? (if I get any that is!) They sound challenging but quite a fun opportunity to talk about things I'm really interested in :smile:
Reply 4782
i've been knocked out by 17 BMAT QUESTIONS....i am not doing this right
Reply 4783
Original post by italienmoose
The BMAT ones are fine (the ones on the internet are past papers, although they won't give you a standardised score). The UKCAT ones, however, are very different, especially the 600 questions book which is a lot harder than the actual test.

7 The speed limit on motorways in the UK should be raised from 70mph to 80 mph.
The majority of drivers consistently break the current speed limit - and without penalty, as
the police are unable to enforce the speed limit in all cases. There is no evidence to
suggest that driving at 80 mph is more dangerous than driving at 70 mph. If the speed limit
were raised, the police could devote more time to dealing with other crimes.
Which one of the following, if true, most weakens the above argument?
A Many drivers choose to drive at below 70mph.
B Modern cars are capable of speeds far in excess of 80mph.
C Driving at 80mph uses more fuel than driving at 70mph.
D With a speed limit of 80mph, more drivers would drive between 80 and 90mph

surely it's A?

can't see why it would be D
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by BMAT
7 The speed limit on motorways in the UK should be raised from 70mph to 80 mph.
The majority of drivers consistently break the current speed limit - and without penalty, as
the police are unable to enforce the speed limit in all cases. There is no evidence to
suggest that driving at 80 mph is more dangerous than driving at 70 mph. If the speed limit
were raised, the police could devote more time to dealing with other crimes.
Which one of the following, if true, most weakens the above argument?
A Many drivers choose to drive at below 70mph.
B Modern cars are capable of speeds far in excess of 80mph.
C Driving at 80mph uses more fuel than driving at 70mph.
D With a speed limit of 80mph, more drivers would drive between 80 and 90mph

surely it's A?

can't see why it would be D

Because A is completely irrelevant on the larger scale.
Reply 4785
Original post by Straight up G

aha!i confused many, with the majority, so i saw it as a blatant answer. i need to read it more carefully

mind if you could help me with :

http://www.admissionstests.cambridgeassessment.org.uk/adt/digitalAssets/103337_Specimen_Section_1.pdf

Question 21 please?
Reply 4786

and this one too, if you have time please

Oakley is west of Carson, which is west of Newton. Earith is east of Carson and west of
Wembourne.
Wembourne must be east of:
A Carson, but not necessarily east of Oakley or Newton;
B Newton, but not necessarily east of Carson or Oakley;
C Carson and Oakley, but not necessarily east of Newton;
D Oakley and Newton, but not necessarily east of Carson;
E Carson, Oakley and Newton.

i guessed it right, i had a hunch though
Reply 4787

18 The 400 seats in a parliament are divided amongst five political parties. No two parties
have the same number of seats, and each has at least 20.
What is the largest number of seats that the third largest party can have?
A 22
B 118
C 119
D 120
E 121

and this if possible!
Original post by BMAT
aha!i confused many, with the majority, so i saw it as a blatant answer. i need to read it more carefully

http://www.admissionstests.cambridgeassessment.org.uk/adt/digitalAssets/103337_Specimen_Section_1.pdf

Question 21 please?

Yeah, it's not so bad is it?

Just imagine the hundreds aren't there, add up the 45, 40, etc etc. You come out with 145. 145 divided by 5 (5 is how many IQs you added up because TCS left) is 29, and now you add the hundred back on, which makes 129, A, which I checked, is correct.
Original post by BMAT
and this one too, if you have time please

Oakley is west of Carson, which is west of Newton. Earith is east of Carson and west of
Wembourne.
Wembourne must be east of:
A Carson, but not necessarily east of Oakley or Newton;
B Newton, but not necessarily east of Carson or Oakley;
C Carson and Oakley, but not necessarily east of Newton;
D Oakley and Newton, but not necessarily east of Carson;
E Carson, Oakley and Newton.

i guessed it right, i had a hunch though

just draw it out.

What I did was, first, double check your east and your west. East is ---->

Anyway, literally just draw it out.
Reply 4790
just draw it out.

What I did was, first, double check your east and your west. East is ---->

Anyway, literally just draw it out.

i drew it out, but the thing is, it's still confusing, i mean, the last letter , or place was east of something, but could be west of the rest?

^^ if you can manage this one, your a genius:

question 18
Original post by BMAT
18 The 400 seats in a parliament are divided amongst five political parties. No two parties
have the same number of seats, and each has at least 20.
What is the largest number of seats that the third largest party can have?
A 22
B 118
C 119
D 120
E 121

and this if possible!

Minimum seats for bottom two parties = 41 (20+21).

That leaves 359. Ignore the hundreds, so you have 59.
59 roughly goes into 20. Look for combinations of 3 numbers around that area that add upto 59. I did it in my head, there's no possible way you can get 19x3 is 57, for 19 to be the lowest number, you'd have to have 20 and 21, which adds up to more than 59. As a result, the number is 18.

118. Hard to explain tbh
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by BMAT
i drew it out, but the thing is, it's still confusing, i mean, the last letter , or place was east of something, but could be west of the rest?

^^ if you can manage this one, your a genius:

question 18

Draw two lines. The first line, for Oakley, Carson, Newton.
The second line, for Carson, Earith and Wembourne. (above/below the first line).
Reply 4793
Minimum seats for bottom two parties = 41 (20+21).

That leaves 359. Ignore the hundreds, so you have 59.
59 roughly goes into 20. Look for combinations of 3 numbers around that area that add upto 59. I did it in my head, there's no possible way you can get 19x3 is 57, for 19 to be the lowest number, you'd have to have 20 and 21, which adds up to more than 59. As a result, the number is 18.

118. Hard to explain tbh

wow.

what do you eat?

i don't give undue praise, but you're bloody brilliant!

here's another one!

this makes no sense - the total cost of what? everything added together the way it appears on the table, one column? after the columns have been moved around?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4794
The second line, for Carson, Earith and Wembourne. (above/below the first line).

Sir, what about number 4?
Original post by BMAT

Question 21 please?

Essentially the question is asking you to find the average IQ of the leftmost data, excluding the IQ of the technical sales consultant.

So 140+145+110+130+120 all divided by 5. So the answer is A 129.

If that's wrong, I apologise. I am quite tired.
Reply 4796
Essentially the question is asking you to find the average IQ of the leftmost data, excluding the IQ of the technical sales consultant.

spot on.

:smile: guys, i love tsr

could you please assist me with http://www.admissionstests.cambridgeassessment.org.uk/adt/digitalAssets/103337_Specimen_Section_1.pdf
Q23

If possible, i understand you are tired.
Reply 4797

for Q25 why is it like this:frown:

isn't it A, why C?
Reply 4798
Qu. 1: If all the salaries rise by 5% next year, what will the total salary bill be?

hmmm...so basically, if you have ten sets of numbers, and you also have a total, and are asked to work out the new fee, supposing you had a 5% increase to each number

Right, i'd think you needed to calculate each individual value. However, it seems that that is not the case, but calculating the total works...

BUT why?
Reply 4799
opinions on the BMAT...

hard exam, but only if you're not used to it.

what i've learnt today is to be able to do estimates,to work with numbers quickly, to be able to do a lot of crazy mental arithmatic in my head, and to be able to read a question properly, and think about it critically

the bmat contains a handful of mental questions that seem to impeach logic, even when you see the answer, but it can all be solved...somehow....

by using logic, writing down everything, breaking it all up, and just following that...

Latest

Trending

Trending