The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hayheyley

Hello, apologies if this has already been asked but I couldn't find anywhere.

I have a P38 form which I need to fill in tonight but I'm unsure what to put for the part which says 'am a student attending, name of school, college or other _____ and shall continue to attend until after 5 April next.' I've just finished sixth form and will be going to uni in September, but I only have conditional offers so I'm not sure where I'll be. I'm reluctant to put my firm choice in case they get contacted to confirm I'm already a student there, but then I can't put my sixth form because I won't still be attending up to 5 April! Can anybody help me please? :smile:
Unfortunately, I don't think that you can use the P38(S) concession as you'll be returning to a different institution. You should complete a form P46 instead: www.hmrc.gov.uk/forms/p46.pdf

How much are you expecting to earn from this job? It may be that you won't end up having any Income Tax deductions anyway, even without using the P38(S).
Original post by Illusionary
Unfortunately, I don't think that you can use the P38(S) concession as you'll be returning to a different institution. You should complete a form P46 instead: www.hmrc.gov.uk/forms/p46.pdf

How much are you expecting to earn from this job? It may be that you won't end up having any Income Tax deductions anyway, even without using the P38(S).

Thank you for your reply. I will be earning very little - at the moment it's only two days' work at minimum wage; there is a chance I will get more work during the rest of the summer but it will only be an absolute maximum of 2 days a week. I got the work through an agency who gave me the P38 form so I assumed it would be okay, but I will check the situation with them before I hand it in tomorrow.

Thank you for your reply. I will be earning very little - at the moment it's only two days' work at minimum wage; there is a chance I will get more work during the rest of the summer but it will only be an absolute maximum of 2 days a week. I got the work through an agency who gave me the P38 form so I assumed it would be okay, but I will check the situation with them before I hand it in tomorrow.

I wouldn't expect two days work on minimum wage to result in any Income Tax deductions if you've not yet had any significant income since 6 April 2011 if your employer correctly processes a completed form P46.
Salary was/ended up being £1388 for 1 months work
I'm 17, not a student
I was taxed in BR code( 20% of gross total), but I couldn't be bothered to change it back...

Can I claim my £278 back from how much I was taxed? I'm 80% sure it's a yes because tax free earnings below £5XXX, right?

And who do I call, the tax man, what's his number? Thanks
Yep, phone the tax office but the number depends on where you live afaik. I'm in London and I called 08453000627, then I just gave my NI number and they sent me a check :biggrin:
Yup call HM Revenue and Custom. They will more than likely ask you to send them your P45 in the post before coming to an conclusion if they owe you or not.

They chase you like crazy if you owe them but if they owe you they don't even tell you!

I'm owed £100 but they said they need my P60 and my P45 I don't even know what a P60 is :smile:
Thanks guys, just need to get my P45 from my old job then now :smile:
Original post by TheCurlyHairedDude

Thanks guys, just need to get my P45 from my old job then now :smile:

Note that being a student makes no difference here - it's just your level of income that's important. When was this job - before or after 6 April 2011? In either case, my guide in the wiki should tell you what you need to know: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Income_Tax_and_National_Insurance#Reclaiming_Overpaid_Tax
Note that being a student makes no difference here - it's just your level of income that's important. When was this job - before or after 6 April 2011? In either case, my guide in the wiki should tell you what you need to know: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Income_Tax_and_National_Insurance#Reclaiming_Overpaid_Tax

After April

After April

This is the form to use, a P50: http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/pdfs/p50.pdf
Complete that and send it to your tax office with your form P45.
Hi folks I'm wondering if anybody can help me out here.

I'm a full-time student and only earn £300 per month. Last year in my job I wasn't getting taxed as I filled out the necessary forms and they handled it which was fine.
Got my P60 through in April and it worked out to be £3,400 roughly that I had earned.

However, since the start of the financial year I have been getting taxed roughly £59 each month and it's eating into my finances quite badly. Is there any particular reason I am being taxed now or is it simply an error on my employer or HMRC's part?
On my payslip my tax code has remained the same so I'm not sure what's causing this problem.

Thanks for your help. :smile:
Original post by Schumacher

Hi folks I'm wondering if anybody can help me out here.

I'm a full-time student and only earn £300 per month. Last year in my job I wasn't getting taxed as I filled out the necessary forms and they handled it which was fine.
Got my P60 through in April and it worked out to be £3,400 roughly that I had earned.

However, since the start of the financial year I have been getting taxed roughly £59 each month and it's eating into my finances quite badly. Is there any particular reason I am being taxed now or is it simply an error on my employer or HMRC's part?
On my payslip my tax code has remained the same so I'm not sure what's causing this problem.

Thanks for your help. :smile:

What's your tax code? The PAYE system that's used to collect income tax and NICs from employees works on a cumulative basis, so only treats you as having accrued a proportion of your personal allowance to set against your cumulative income to date for the proportion of the tax year that's elapsed to date. It might be this that's causing your issue, but I'd need to know your tax code and cumulative income to date to be any more specific.

(Btw, thanks for using the sticky - far too often I have to merge threads into it, and this way I see the post more quickly anyway!)
What's your tax code? The PAYE system that's used to collect income tax and NICs from employees works on a cumulative basis, so only treats you as having accrued a proportion of your personal allowance to set against your cumulative income to date for the proportion of the tax year that's elapsed to date. It might be this that's causing your issue, but I'd need to know your tax code and cumulative income to date to be any more specific.

(Btw, thanks for using the sticky - far too often I have to merge threads into it, and this way I see the post more quickly anyway!)

PM'd you the details. Thanks! :smile:

PM'd you the details. Thanks! :smile:

You'ven been given a tax code that doesn't reflect the full personal allowance (the 'standard' tax code for 2011/12 would be "747L", reflecting a £7,475 personal allowance). I won't post your tax code here as I can see that you'd rather it wasn't public, but to work out how much allowance you're being treated as having, multiple the code by 10 if it just ends with the standard "L".

Your Income Tax deductions appear (at least approximately) to have been calculated correctly, on the assumption that your tax code is correct. However, unless you have another source of income or a substantial tax underpayment from a previous tax year, I'd suggest that your code looks to be incorrect. If you can't explain why it's not "747L" I'd say this could well be an error (quite possibly just a typo in someone's data entry given what your code currently is :rolleyes:) I'd raise this with your tax office for an explanation or correction.
(edited 12 years ago)
You'ven been given a tax code that doesn't reflect the full personal allowance (the 'standard' tax code for 2011/12 would be "747L", reflecting a £7,475 personal allowance). I won't post your tax code here as I can see that you'd rather it wasn't public, but to work out how much allowance you're being treated as having, multiple the code by 10 if it just ends with the standard "L".

Your Income Tax deductions appear (at least approximately) to have been calculated correctly, on the assumption that your tax code is correct. However, unless you have another source of income or a substantial tax underpayment from a previous tax year, I'd suggest that your code looks to be incorrect. If you can't explain why it's not "747L" I'd say this could well be an error (quite possibly just a typo in someone's data entry given what your code currently is :rolleyes:) I'd raise this with your tax office for an explanation or correction.

Cheers for your help.

I worked at a small place for about 8 weeks or so prior to my old job and quit that approximately 3-4 weeks into my new one but that was it. This is the only job I've had since September 2010.

I've been getting SAAS payments as well if that has any impact on it?
Reply 975

Cheers for your help.

I worked at a small place for about 8 weeks or so prior to my old job and quit that approximately 3-4 weeks into my new one but that was it. This is the only job I've had since September 2010.

I've been getting SAAS payments as well if that has any impact on it?

No your student support has no impact on your tax. Just give your local tax office a bell and ask them to explain your current tax code.
Hey, not sure if this is the right forum but...
I've looked at the HM revenue website but I still don't understand how much you have to earn to be taxed. :headfire: Anyway I'm working this summer until september, and as I've left school after alevels and haven't started uni yet, I filled out a p45 rather than a p38 as I'm not technically a student at the moment. I'm earning 7/hr which equates to about 245 a week as i'm working full time. So is this enough to be taxed, because I'm only on a temporary contract so I won't earn a full year's income.
What will I pay? I've only ever had a job whilst being at school so I don't really understand tax. Thanks to anyone who can explain this to me :smile:
Reply 977
I think you get 5k before tax, they will take it off your pay cheque but you claim it back
Original post by alexsong
I think you get 5k before tax, they will take it off your pay cheque but you claim it back

Okay I see what you mean, I read on the website it was 7,475 before tax, so do they know how much I've earnt? Cause I definitely won't earn that much, or do they tax me anyway and then I claim it back afterwards? Sorry this has just majorly confused me :confused:
Reply 979
You will more thank likely be taxed on the assumption you are going to be working a full year i.e £245*52 = £12,740 assumed income. Your personal allowance covers you for £7475 therefore your assumed taxable income will be £5,265. Taxed at 20% gives you a charge of roughly £20 a week. A

Assuming you don't work further and your total income over the summer is under the personal allowance, this will be repaid after the end of the tax year (5th April 2012).

You may also have to pay national insurance (works out at circa £13 a week) which I do not believe is repayable to you as you earn over the weekly lower limit.

I hope this helps

Latest

Trending

Trending