The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 5820
Original post by SarahTM
Join the club! We should get t-shirts or something...

sure! :smile:.....what unis did u apply to? are u applying again this oct?
Reply 5821
Original post by Quackers93
Hi! :hi:There are many rejectee's on here, you are in good company :^_^: I got one interview at St. andrews but straight rejections form the rest. Definatly reapplying... dependent on grades too :tongue: Dreading redoing the ukcat although i seriously need to improve mine :frown: how about you? :smile:

OMG same here! i'm dreading UKCAT like helll. :frown: My previous UKCAT score was not very charming. and the sad thing is im not even taking the BMAT coz i am not an OXbridge or london person.. I am applying again too :smile:...........So what was the interviews like in the St. Andrews?...
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5822
Original post by italienmoose
I got rejected from King's without interview :biggrin:

I shall not be reapplying to them this year.

Neither am i applying to the same unis again. Its a new chance now so new other unis for me? So, what unis are you hoping to apply to?
Original post by Shaz51
Neither am i applying to the same unis again. Its a new chance now so new other unis for me? So, what unis are you hoping to apply to?

Probably reapply to Imperial, maybe Nottingham. Other than that I don't know yet.
Reply 5824
Original post by cz100
Pens are something which I do not lack, I have enough to start a shop so that's one thing I don't have to worry about.
Do textbook and reference books like the Collins Advanced Science and DK body book count as extra reading for Cambridge?

I don't know the books, but from googling it Collins Advanced Science is just an A level revision book/textbook? If so doesn't really count as extra reading am afraid.

Are you thinking of science magazines/or uni level medicine textbooks for extra reading/Dawkins books on evolution? Bit confused at the question sorry.
Original post by GH
I don't know the books, but from googling it Collins Advanced Science is just an A level revision book/textbook? If so doesn't really count as extra reading am afraid.

Are you thinking of science magazines/or uni level medicine textbooks for extra reading/Dawkins books on evolution? Bit confused at the question sorry.

Nice avatar brah
Reply 5826
Original post by ChessMister
Nice avatar brah

Aware brah. You miscer?
Original post by GH
Aware brah. You miscer?

No, I just really like Starship Troopers the first.
Reply 5828
Original post by GH

Yeah they are really big a level books but we don't use them, they are not even suited for our specifications (I'm on the ccea exam board) so I'm finding lots of the sections an interesting read. And the human body book goes into quite a lot of detail about the body systems (to me anyway).
I'm just wondering if there are any books you'd recommend
ermm.. penguin??
Original post by IamBeowulf
ermm.. penguin??

Yeah it's more appropriate here :yep:

Right so the reason I was rejected without interview for Sheffield was not because of my UKCAT score - I was over the cutoff however they didn't like my PS (and in retrospect nor do I :lol:) so they rejected me :rolleyes:

I'll try and find my feedback letter if you want :h:
Original post by Penguinsaysquack
I'm a little penguin short and stout here is my flipper and here is my snout :biggrin:

why what was wrong with your ps
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5832
Original post by cz100
Yeah they are really big a level books but we don't use them, they are not even suited for our specifications (I'm on the ccea exam board) so I'm finding lots of the sections an interesting read. And the human body book goes into quite a lot of detail about the body systems (to me anyway).
I'm just wondering if there are any books you'd recommend

Big A level textbooks arn't that impressive, sorry.
For recent research articles: New Scientist/student BMJ
For ethics/GMC stuff go to the website linked here: Medical ethics revision, makes things so much simpler, and the ethical stuff is in animation based as well. Excellent revision material whether for interviews, or for medical school revision.
For recent news: BBC news/Newspapers will suffice, an awareness of the current health issues
For interests sake: Richard Dawkins on evolution, Trust me I'm a Junior Doctor for fun
For science: Theres loads of books, what bit are you intererested in? Physiology, Biochemsitry etc?
Reply 5833
Original post by infintywhirls
Wait, so is it negatively marked? Because I was under the impression that if you run out of time/ don't know, do pick an answer as it's multiple choice? :s-smilie:

I'm not sure about the process exactly, but I wouldn't say it's negative marking. It's designed to assess the way you answer more so than simply score your answering ( although obviously scoring makes up a large part of this ).

The time you spend on answering may be recorded also, so the marking system may be able to recognise when you are simply ticking for the sake of it, which I don't think will count against you at all, the opposite in fact,. It's an exceptionally complicated system, I'm led to believe. Yeah, I'd still advise ticking randomly the ones you don't know. All in all just do as many as you can correctly, and thereafter tick randomly the one's you haven't done. Do however take the necessary time to get the one's right that you properly do, within a reasonable limit. If anyone seems to think my score was low and thus my opinion is invalid, I learned all this after I did UKCAT from someone involved in designing a similar sort of psychometric test.
Reply 5834
Original post by GH
Big A level textbooks arn't that impressive, sorry.
For recent research articles: New Scientist/student BMJ
For ethics/GMC stuff go to the website linked here: Medical ethics revision, makes things so much simpler, and the ethical stuff is in animation based as well. Excellent revision material whether for interviews, or for medical school revision.
For recent news: BBC news/Newspapers will suffice, an awareness of the current health issues
For interests sake: Richard Dawkins on evolution, Trust me I'm a Junior Doctor for fun
For science: Theres loads of books, what bit are you intererested in? Physiology, Biochemsitry etc?

Ok. I find all the human science thing interesting, so it's hard to choose. Currently reading Bad Science and Diagnosis, are they good choices? And is it true we should know about medical news over the last 10 years?
Gonna research up scientific articles on the brain
Reply 5836
Original post by cz100
Ok. I find all the human science thing interesting, so it's hard to choose. Currently reading Bad Science and Diagnosis, are they good choices? And is it true we should know about medical news over the last 10 years?

As long as you can answer question on those books, then theres no bad book to read.

You don't need to know medical news over past 10 years. You should have an inkling what the NHS is about, recent medical advances, and large medical advnaces in the past which are relevant.

Depends where you want to apply.
Reply 5837
Do different Cambridge colleges have different types of interviews or are they all the same? And do some prefer the BMAT score more than others? Haven't been able to find this out :frown:
Original post by Nator
Do different Cambridge colleges have different types of interviews or are they all the same? And do some prefer the BMAT score more than others? Haven't been able to find this out :frown:

Wouldn't an idea to get round this be putting in an open application? Are you allocated to a college after putting in an open app or does a college choose you like in the pooling system? Because if it's the latter, then the college which looks for your particular strengths would obviously choose you, and you wouldn't be disadvantaged.
Reply 5839
Original post by Straight up G
Wouldn't an idea to get round this be putting in an open application? Are you allocated to a college after putting in an open app or does a college choose you like in the pooling system? Because if it's the latter, then the college which looks for your particular strengths would obviously choose you, and you wouldn't be disadvantaged.

No clue how it works, our school asks you choose a college and then that's that, so trying to find the best college to choose but have no idea how you can tell which is most suited to you...

Latest

Trending

Trending