The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Penguinsaysquack
If you live in Lincolnshire then PM me.

I'll gladly let you do my shift for me :yep:

I'd still get the pay obv though :colone:

I don't live Lincolnshire but if you are willing to pay traveling expenses then sure. I don't mind about the pay as long as I get credit for the work I do and reference saying how amazing I am. :biggrin:
Reply 6101
Original post by zai1234
You have great gcse results and seems like you've done really well on the ukcta!!
Oxbridge don't take account of your ukcat,,,its the bmat they are interested!

Cheers :smile:, so you think I stand a chance with oxbridge (providing I do well on BMAT) ? :cool: and obs personal statement and tutor reference. Im confused about which other universities to apply for, my parents took me round liverpool, because that the uni they went to and they said at a lecture that you could only apply for 4 and had to have a backup subject?!? - Its seems silly, because my personal statement so far is all about my love of science and medicine. :frown: I dont understand how you do it.

the unis ive got at the moment are:
1. Cambridge
2. Imperial college London
3. Durham
4. Liverpool
5. Nottingham for maths, then if i do end up going here and not getting into medicine im close to mummy to cry.

Im thinking about swapping imperial for Kings college london, because on this forum lots of ppl are saying that they rank UKCAT high and ive done well on it so I might stand a better chance. what do you think?
Original post by Limitless
I don't live Lincolnshire but if you are willing to pay traveling expenses then sure. I don't mind about the pay as long as I get credit for the work I do and reference saying how amazing I am. :biggrin:

Then no deal :noway:
Good luck getting something though :h:

Original post by Einy
Cheers :smile:, so you think I stand a chance with oxbridge (providing I do well on BMAT) ? :cool: and obs personal statement and tutor reference. Im confused about which other universities to apply for, my parents took me round liverpool, because that the uni they went to and they said at a lecture that you could only apply for 4 and had to have a backup subject?!? - Its seems silly, because my personal statement so far is all about my love of science and medicine. :frown: I dont understand how you do it.

1. Cambridge
3. Durham
4. Liverpool
5. Nottingham for maths, then if i do end up going here and not getting into medicine im close to mummy to cry.

Im thinking about swapping imperial for Kings college london, because on this forum lots of ppl are saying that they rank UKCAT high and ive done well on it so I might stand a better chance. what do you think?

Can't help but think you're wasting your UKCAT score there... only Durham ask for it out of those lot and not sure if they use it very importantly..

But it's where you want to apply I guess :yep:

Yeah, you are only allowed four medicine choices.

A lot of people tend to go for a (lesser) science as the 5th choice.. biomedical sciences etc.
I don't think maths is a good idea since you will be up against people that actually want to study maths and nottingham (in fact I know someone doing maths there :cool:) so you could end up with 5 rejections..

I'd say swap Imperial for KCL.. but only if you would actually want to study at KCL. You're best of checking out the course structure and deciding on which teaching style is for you atm :h:
Reply 6103
Original post by Einy

Hi
I think you should switch to Kings if you like the course structure cuz u might want to get an offer but if u end up dere and hate the place then its obv useless, so check the course structure.
Also, you could switch liverpool to sheffield as liverpool does not use UKCAT and ur score is awesome: Sheffield has a 725-730 avg cutoff, but I know a person who got in with a 680 average. Its a better choice but its your decision. :smile:
Any tips for UKCAT: how did u get such a high QR. Also, was QR easier than 600Q and official practice and did u manage to finish all the questions.
Thanks and sorry for the questions.

Original post by Einy

1. Cambridge
3. Durham
4. Liverpool

Kings say that if an applicant has an excellent academic background then the test scores will play a less significant part in selection.....

So maybe they don't rank it as highly as people think!? Just guessing!!
Reply 6105

A lot of people tend to go for a (lesser) science as the 5th choice.. biomedical sciences etc.
I don't think maths is a good idea since you will be up against people that actually want to study maths and nottingham (in fact I know someone doing maths there :cool:) so you could end up with 5 rejections..

Thank you very very much :tongue: (hadnt thought of this) - I chose maths as my backup subject becos i like it as a subject and am good at it (and also becos my mum told me I shud), but yea ur probs right. And i dont want 5 rejections. I will reconsider that.

I chose imperial along with cambridge, becos there the only unis ive managed to find that offer a Phd in medicine, which is what i really really want to do - i.e. research.

i might change liverpool for a ukcat one, becos liverpool gets a huge amount of applicants 10 for very place becos it doesnt use UKCAT.
Reply 6106
Hi
I was looking at the official practice tests from the UKCAT website and this may seem to be a dumb question: but I don't see the icon for the calculator or how to get the calculator for QR? Did they recently add it cuz i downloaded the tests in March and if not, can someone please help. :_:smile:Thanks
Original post by apple17
Sheffield has a 725-730 avg cutoff, but I know a person who got in with a 680 average.

:lies:
To the first part btw.. not the person getting in with 680 average :h:

Guessing they applied in 2010, since 2010 cutoff was 675. 2011 cutoff was 717.5 :h:

Original post by Einy
Thank you very very much :tongue: (hadnt thought of this) - I chose maths as my backup subject becos i like it as a subject and am good at it (and also becos my mum told me I shud), but yea ur probs right. And i dont want 5 rejections. I will reconsider that.

I chose imperial along with cambridge, becos there the only unis ive managed to find that offer a Phd in medicine, which is what i really really want to do - i.e. research.

i might change liverpool for a ukcat one, becos liverpool gets a huge amount of applicants 10 for very place becos it doesnt use UKCAT.

Oh for pity's sake.. Please do not base your life decisions based on what your parents say. It is your life so you should be applying to do something you want to do (even though this is your back up choice) since you're the one that might have to spend the 3 years doing it :yep:
If you do get 5 rejections there is always clearing/extra.. but you would have less choice.

You do realise a PhD is a postgraduate research degree? You can't apply for them without a degree..

I do recommend changing Liverpool.. but 10 for every place isn't that unusual for medicine I'm afraid :no:
Reply 6108
:lies:
To the first part btw.. not the person getting in with 680 average :h:

Guessing they applied in 2010, since 2010 cutoff was 675. 2011 cutoff was 717.5 :

Hey
They applied for a place in fall 2011 and were international but got the offer cuz their ps and interview was good.
But this year I am estimating it should be 725-730. It can't go up that drastically. :P
Original post by apple17
Hey
They applied for a place in fall 2011 and were international but got the offer cuz their ps and interview was good.
But this year I am estimating it should be 725-730. It can't go up that drastically. :P

Ah right fair enough..

I'm thinking it'll either stay the same or even go down a bit. 717.5 is ridiculously high as it is :yep:

But we'll have to wait and see what happens :h:
Just started my PS... this is going to be fun :rolleyes:
Reply 6111
Original post by manic_fuzz
Just started my PS... this is going to be fun :rolleyes:

More like annoying. Been through 3 drafts and its still not perfect. The first copy I wrote, I thought it was so good and then my guidance counselor ripped it to shreds. I hate the stupid PS system:frown:
Original post by apple17
More like annoying. Been through 3 drafts and its still not perfect. The first copy I wrote, I thought it was so good and then my guidance counselor ripped it to shreds. I hate the stupid PS system:frown:

I was being sarcastic :lol: 3 isn't that bad, i hear that people go through loads of drafts before they're 100% happy with it :tongue:
and to be honest, i'd rather have my drafts ripped to shreds so that i know where i'm going wrong than submitting a substandard PS which i thought was good :redface:
Reply 6113
Original post by manic_fuzz
I was being sarcastic :lol: 3 isn't that bad, i hear that people go through loads of drafts before they're 100% happy with it :tongue:
and to be honest, i'd rather have my drafts ripped to shreds so that i know where i'm going wrong than submitting a substandard PS which i thought was good :redface:

Yeah. I am kinda at a dead end with my draft as I do not know if I should write about my academic interest/not. :frown:
I was glad she pointed it out cuz the application process for me is intense as i am international, the PS Help system here is awesome as well. You should use that once your done. :smile:
Original post by apple17
Yeah. I am kinda at a dead end with my draft as I do not know if I should write about my academic interest/not. :frown:
I was glad she pointed it out cuz the application process for me is intense as i am international, the PS Help system here is awesome as well. You should use that once your done. :smile:

:s-smilie: i suppose it depends if you think you can talk about it in interview well enough,
oh and yeah, i'll definitely be asking for help from the PS Helper Team once i've done my first draft :biggrin:
How annoying is it that you can't use a calculator with brackets and an ANS button!!!

What's more annoying is that the 600Q book insists on presenting the answers as one big formula including brackets, fractions etc etc....

I suppose the best method would be to write down the formula and work it out on the calculator bit by bit... seems a bit time consuming ....

I'm starting to wonder if I can do this .... :frown: :frown: :frown:
Reply 6116
Original post by Einy

1. Cambridge
3. Durham
4. Liverpool

yeh you could do....but really the important thing is whether you like the uiversity or not...if you like it then its s good idea!!
how was the ukcat test anyway...is it hard?
Reply 6117
Original post by apple17
Hi
I think you should switch to Kings if you like the course structure cuz u might want to get an offer but if u end up dere and hate the place then its obv useless, so check the course structure.
Also, you could switch liverpool to sheffield as liverpool does not use UKCAT and ur score is awesome: Sheffield has a 725-730 avg cutoff, but I know a person who got in with a 680 average. Its a better choice but its your decision. :smile:
Any tips for UKCAT: how did u get such a high QR. Also, was QR easier than 600Q and official practice and did u manage to finish all the questions.
Thanks and sorry for the questions.

Ye right
VR - much much harder than i expected, i rushed it to try and answer all question, and there were big words i didnt understand. Also the extracts are just as big as in the practice papers. :frown:
QR- much much easier than practice papers - you dont have as much info to take in. Its like only a couple of sentances.
AR - excactly the same sort of level as the practice papers.
DA - about the same too - although only 26 questions rather than 28.

The only question Off the whole paper I can remember is a QR one and it was to do with combinations. Dont worry it doesnt expect you to be doing like factorial ect. - its a very simple combinations question about half times scores at football :P
Reply 6118
Original post by Einy

That is a very good reason to go to Cambridge.

We have an integrated MBPhd program, which means that by adding in 2.5 years to your degree you get an Phd out of it as well. (to be done after 4th yearand intercalating this into clinical years).

If you went to Cambridge, you can move to London - Imperial after 3rd year, and then go on to do clinicals/Phd program there as well.
Reply 6119
Original post by Loulibelle
How annoying is it that you can't use a calculator with brackets and an ANS button!!!

What's more annoying is that the 600Q book insists on presenting the answers as one big formula including brackets, fractions etc etc....

I suppose the best method would be to write down the formula and work it out on the calculator bit by bit... seems a bit time consuming ....

I'm starting to wonder if I can do this .... :frown: :frown: :frown:

I hate the fact that you can't get a handeld character and the calculator has no answer button: i have used like scientific and graphing calculators for IB and its annoying to have no ANS button.
Don't worry: practice makes perfect
I

Latest

Trending

Trending