The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Nator
Oh Pingu so this is what you were working on :rolleyes:

Not just me, but yeah :yep:
Original post by Penguinsaysquack
Oh what's this?

That's right people..

The Medicine Forum Awards 2011 are now open!

/shameless plug :proud:

:awesome: *goes to vote*
Wooo back from holiday :smile:

Finished my international work experience!
Saw 4-5 heart operations (coronary bypass artery graft surgery or CABGs) in Dhaka, Bangladesh
Reply 6483
Original post by EternalDoom

Original post by EternalDoom
Wooo back from holiday :smile:

Finished my international work experience!
Saw 4-5 heart operations (coronary bypass artery graft surgery or CABGs) in Dhaka, Bangladesh

niceee, saw that too but in UK. it was like a SAW movie!!
Original post by Penguinsaysquack
Oh what's this?

That's right people..

The Medicine Forum Awards 2011 are now open!

/shameless plug :proud:

:rofl:
Just got some more work experience with a paediatric physiotherapist for the end of this month.
Original post by Joseppea
Just got some more work experience with a paediatric physiotherapist for the end of this month.

:biggrin: Ooooh my exciting! Hope it goes amazingly! :tongue:
How much work experience has everyone managed to get?
The hospitals near me have basically screwed everyone who's applied over...
Reply 6488

Really? Nice one! :biggrin:
Original post by manic_fuzz
:biggrin: Ooooh my exciting! Hope it goes amazingly! :tongue:

Original post by Iaso
Really? Nice one! :biggrin:

Thanks! I didn't expect to get it before the PS deadline, but the person I'm shadowing said they can do a really last minute one.

It's only for a day but we'll be doing home calls, so there should be lots of people to meet.
Harro all :biggrin:

See when universities ask for 'caring experience', would being a member of st.andrew's ambulance count? Now, I've never actually treated anyone :tongue: but I've taken part in competitions and know a lot about how to handle a casualty in terms of communication, reassurance etc as well as how to physically treat them.

Would that be enough? :tongue:

Thanks in advance.
Original post by why-hello-there

See when universities ask for 'caring experience', would being a member of st.andrew's ambulance count? Now, I've never actually treated anyone :tongue: but I've taken part in competitions and know a lot about how to handle a casualty in terms of communication, reassurance etc as well as how to physically treat them.

Thanks in advance.

You must have seen people being treated by other people in your ambulance team? :smile: That's experience, even if it's not first-hand. Besides, you might get the chance to treat someone by the PS deadline or even by interview? :biggrin:

Though even just comforting/talking to someone with an injury etc. is an example of caring, which I'm sure you could undertake on a St. Andrews Ambulance event? :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
You must have seen people being treated by other people in your ambulance team? :smile: That's experience, even if it's not first-hand. Besides, you might get the chance to treat someone by the PS deadline or even by interview? :biggrin:

Though even just comforting/talking to someone with an injury etc. is an example of caring, which I'm sure you could undertake on a St. Andrews Ambulance event? :smile:

Because I've not finished the adult course yet (went in a year later because i was waiting for my friend to finish cadets...i know, pretty silly :tongue:) , I'm pretty sure I'm not technically allowed to treat at an event (obviously I would if there was like...well...a massive explosion or something, y'know :rolleyes:). I should finish the course before most interviews (assuming I get some :tongue:) so...well I was gonna say I could hopefully treat someone by then but I don't think wishing injury on someone is a trait that uni's look for in hopeful doctors! :tongue:

But yeah, I'm sure there'll be a chance to at least comfort a casualty before then :biggrin: And I've seen some people being treated in cadets, good point :smile: I was more thinking of what I've done, but obviously observing is still experience in a caring environment, nice one :smile:

btw, your reassurance skills are good. you should really think about becoming a doctor! :tongue:
Reply 6493

Thanks in advance.

I'm in a similar situation, I've been in St John's for years as a cadet but will only reach the age to join the adult section this year. I've done quite a few competitions and hopefully will go on my first duty soon :biggrin:
Because I've not finished the adult course yet (went in a year later because i was waiting for my friend to finish cadets...i know, pretty silly :tongue:) , I'm pretty sure I'm not technically allowed to treat at an event (obviously I would if there was like...well...a massive explosion or something, y'know :rolleyes:). I should finish the course before most interviews (assuming I get some :tongue:) so...well I was gonna say I could hopefully treat someone by then but I don't think wishing injury on someone is a trait that uni's look for in hopeful doctors! :tongue:

But yeah, I'm sure there'll be a chance to at least comfort a casualty before then :biggrin: And I've seen some people being treated in cadets, good point :smile: I was more thinking of what I've done, but obviously observing is still experience in a caring environment, nice one :smile:

btw, your reassurance skills are good. you should really think about becoming a doctor! :tongue:

Original post by cz100
I'm in a similar situation, I've been in St John's for years as a cadet but will only reach the age to join the adult section this year. I've done quite a few competitions and hopefully will go on my first duty soon :biggrin:

I think the fact that you've committed yourself to it shows that you care for people :smile: I guess it's a bit like doing work experience and watching surgery. You're experiencing a clinical environment, but no-one is expecting you to do perform an operation :tongue:
Hello everyone!! :biggrin:

Haven't been on for a while but now there are EIGHT OF YOUR STANDARD DAYS until my UKCAT and I'm going hardcore!!

Does anyone want to venture any last minute advise or guidance?! :wink:
SO NERVOUS :eek:

Results tomorrow!! Yikes!!

Hope everyone's applications/ps/work experience/UKCAT are going splendidly!!

:smile:
Original post by Loulibelle
Hello everyone!! :biggrin:

Haven't been on for a while but now there are EIGHT OF YOUR STANDARD DAYS until my UKCAT and I'm going hardcore!!

Does anyone want to venture any last minute advise or guidance?! :wink:
SO NERVOUS :eek:

Results tomorrow!! Yikes!!

Hope everyone's applications/ps/work experience/UKCAT are going splendidly!!

:smile:

Do as many timed practices as you can, try to relax on the day and if in doubt; guess :wink:
Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope

Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope
Do as many timed practices as you can, try to relax on the day and if in doubt; guess :wink:

Wise words! Thanks :smile: Fingers crossed! :biggrin: x
ARGHHHHHOMGWTFZOMG

Results day is tomorrow!!! D:
I disagree with the answer to this UKCAT practice question...

Q: Online shopping offers the criminal the promise of rich pickings.

passage: "over $50b was spent online last year and it is hardly surprising that criminals want a share of the action..."

Now I thought this would be C as nothing in the passage suggests that the criminals were/are successful in their endeavours. It says that they "want" a share of the action...

the answer says TRUE and says that the two sentences are interchangeable of the same meaning...

:eek:

Latest

Trending

Trending